5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithium Battery Upgrade

805myth1

Reaction score
I’m trying to see if anyone has upgraded to a lithium battery under their hood. I’m going to finish my audio system upgrade and I plan to only run an XS Power lithium battery in place of the stock one. I already upgraded my alternator to a 220 amp factory one and with the battery I’m planning to buy, it says it can handle a 6,000 watt system. I will be closer to half of that, just wanted to see what to expect from running a lithium battery in place of the stock battery?

E4455E4B-0F0F-4D71-87E3-052D2E17A9D5.jpeg

C14F9CD2-3466-42B9-8113-651B5872A1C7.jpeg

sppb32

Reaction score
It's too hot under the hood for lithium, some manufactures claim their lithium batteries can be installed under the hood but i wouldn't, i have 80ah of lithium but it's behind the back seat where the factory subwoofer used to be, it's tight for most premade batteries but if you use Headway cells and build one yourself like mine it fits

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1614391137154.jpg
    FB_IMG_1614391137154.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 134

Vicdog

Reaction score
I’d be concerned with the charging profile also. Never mind below 32F. I’d check those issues out first.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Aseras has been running an Antigravity Battery lithium for a while, and might have some insight.

Aseras, what climate are you in? Any issues with extreme heat or cold? This is as your primary battery, correct, versus an aux battery?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Aseras has been running an Antigravity Battery lithium for a while, and might have some insight.

Aseras, what climate are you in? Any issues with extreme heat or cold? This is as your primary battery, correct, versus an aux battery?
^ He swears by that brand lithium battery, but his was something like $1100. It would be cool if he would check in and give an update.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Antigravity gave me one to test in my street bike. Those little suckers work great!

There are a bunch is cars running them under the hood. I don’t think heat is really an issue for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sppb32

Reaction score
Not all the lithium batteries are the same if you want it to run a big stereo you will need a high discharge rated cells.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm in Florida. I've had no issues. It is my primary battery. I had to try to get the battery to go dead. It took weeks of my dashcam running 24/7 to drain it down to the 20% cutoff. I left it on vacation and checked the sd card when I got home. I hit the keyfob and it started right up by jumping itself from reserve.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not all the lithium batteries are the same if you want it to run a big stereo you will need a high discharge rated cells.

There are different sizes. You can get 60-80AH lithiums I've seen. The real thing though is the the lithium batteries hold the voltage steady from 100-5% before the voltage drops. It's not like a lead acid when the battery is dead. at 5% a lithium will still have full voltage and amps to start you.

Catch is if you totally run a lithium flat you can kill it. Most have an internal cutoff to prevent it bricking. Some have a reserve and self "jump" capability. Some just cut power and won't reenable it until it is connected to a special charger. A lot of the cheaper lithium batteries are just foil pouches wrapped up inside a case. Those can catch fire. Go look on amazon at cheap lithium battery pics. Be careful with big lithium batteries.

sppb32

Reaction score
There are different sizes. You can get 60-80AH lithiums I've seen. The real thing though is the the lithium batteries hold the voltage steady from 100-5% before the voltage drops. It's not like a lead acid when the battery is dead. at 5% a lithium will still have full voltage and amps to start you.

Catch is if you totally run a lithium flat you can kill it. Most have an internal cutoff to prevent it bricking. Some have a reserve and self "jump" capability. Some just cut power and won't reenable it until it is connected to a special charger. A lot of the cheaper lithium batteries are just foil pouches wrapped up inside a case. Those can catch fire. Go look on amazon at cheap lithium battery pics. Be careful with big lithium batteries.
I've built a few lithium batteries using used cells ( the one in the picture was for fun, it's not a bomb) and not all of them can give you the discharge needed for a high power amplifier even if it's over 100ah they just have a limited current discharge, those are the ones that catch fire when you push them to the limit

Attachments

• 20210509_090217.jpg
    20210509_090217.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 81

805myth1

Reaction score
CDABB156-4B94-4491-B36E-D59F081985BC.jpeg

I found this one to maybe use as the secondary battery. It says that with my 220 amp alternator it should handle a 3,000 - 4,000 watt system. But I wouldn’t know what isolator I can use for this setup with the stock battery in place and safe to use with a lithium battery.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 119048

I found this one to maybe use as the secondary battery. It says that with my 220 amp alternator it should handle a 3,000 - 4,000 watt system. But I wouldn’t know what isolator I can use for this setup with the stock battery in place and safe to use with a lithium battery.
You might want to consider a DC-to-DC charger instead of an isolator, but note that I’m far from an expert in this area.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Florida. I've had no issues. It is my primary battery. I had to try to get the battery to go dead. It took weeks of my dashcam running 24/7 to drain it down to the 20% cutoff. I left it on vacation and checked the sd card when I got home. I hit the keyfob and it started right up by jumping itself from reserve.
Does that mean you can realistically expect to use 80% of the battery capacity, versus 50% on a lead acid or AGM starter battery?

For example, I believe the stock battery is 80 amp-hour, making the useable capacity 40 AH. Would an 80 AH Antigravity battery give you 64 AH useable capacity? If so, that’s 60% more than stock, making this a viable (and simpler) alternative to a dual battery setup.

sppb32

Reaction score
View attachment 119048

I use an Installbay 500 amp isolator from Amazon, I don't need one as most lithium batteries can work in parallel with the stock battery, the reason for the isolator is the resting voltage of the lithium is 1V higher than the lead acid battery but that is not a big deal, an isolator is not expensive and it's easy to install.
6a4a21f98ce118872ecf71cbb6a467b7.jpg

805myth1

Reaction score
I use an Installbay 500 amp isolator from Amazon, I don't need one as most lithium batteries can work in parallel with the stock battery, the reason for the isolator is the resting voltage of the lithium is 1V higher than the lead acid battery but that is not a big deal, an isolator is not expensive and it's easy to install.
6a4a21f98ce118872ecf71cbb6a467b7.jpg

Does it need to be a 500 amp isolator or will a 200 amp one be enough since my setup will be for 3k/4K not 8k like yours?

sppb32

Reaction score
Does it need to be a 500 amp isolator or will a 200 amp one be enough since my setup will be for 3k/4K not 8k like yours?
No, even mine didn't have to be 500A, when the engine I running the alternator is the one providing the current, until the demand is higher than what it can deliver, that's when the battery picks up the slack, so technically with a 220 amp alternator you only need a 300 amp solenoid, I got a 500 because the price was not much difference.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does that mean you can realistically expect to use 80% of the battery capacity, versus 50% on a lead acid or AGM starter battery?

For example, I believe the stock battery is 80 amp-hour, making the useable capacity 40 AH. Would an 80 AH Antigravity battery give you 64 AH useable capacity? If so, that’s 60% more than stock, making this a viable (and simpler) alternative to a dual battery setup.
Yes and then some. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ty-lithium-battery.104268/page-6#post-2429472
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h7-rs/

It also can sit for YEARS without a load and won't die. No such thing as sulfation.

They are nuts. I got the 60ah, as it is more usable capacity than stock, it was $400 cheaper than the H8 or the 80ah and it was on sale at wedontlift https://www.wdlracing.com/products/antigravity-h7-group-94r-car-battery?variant=31469237370995 . On top of that they gave me a ton a swag, a bluetooth battery tracker, and 2 lithium LED bluetooth flashlight speaker things that are awesome for free. I can't guarantee that will happen now post pandemic, but they beat everyone else by a few hundred buck when I bought mine.

H7-40-RS​

40 Amp Hours​

1500 Cranking Amps
15.6 lbs

H7-60-RS​

60 Amp Hours​

1800 Cranking Amps
18.5 lbs

H7-80-RS​

80 Amp Hours​

~2000 Cranking Amps
25.5 lbs

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, even mine didn't have to be 500A, when the engine I running the alternator is the one providing the current, until the demand is higher than what it can deliver, that's when the battery picks up the slack, so technically with a 220 amp alternator you only need a 300 amp solenoid, I got a 500 because the price was not much difference.

You tested that on these "smart" alternators that don't put out current until they feel like it?

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i been researching this as im thinking to add a second battery for my winch set up 😂 i got a 200 amp isolater and my max amperage at max pull would be 450 amps, i wont burn the isolater out would i ?

also i know i would have to keep truck… i have a eco diesel and dont even see where its possible to upgrade alternator

Users who are viewing this thread