5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light rattle coming from door

renzo2213

Reaction score
It’s recently started, every time I’m driving it sounds like the weather stripping on the passenger door is unsticking while rattling. Very weird. I’ve checked it, nothing loose. Anyone else hear it? It’s almost as if it’s faint little creeks and pops like something unsticking from a sticky surface. Very aggravating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nj921

Reaction score
It’s recently started, every time I’m driving it sounds like the weather stripping on the passenger door is unsticking while rattling. Very weird. I’ve checked it, nothing loose. Anyone else hear it? It’s almost as if it’s faint little creeks and pops like something unsticking from a sticky surface. Very aggravating

2020 laramie, driver side door does the same thing. If i push on the plastic trim at the top of the window while driving, basically getting the pressure off the weather stripping, it stops. If you open the door up you can duplicate the noise just by pushing on the weather stripping, it does stick to itself. Haven’t had the time to think of a solution yet, might just put a little lubricant in the weather stripping to see if it helps.

If you do find a solution please let me know!

renzo2213

Reaction score
@Nj921 I was playing with my fingers in between the door up on the top while driving home from work (2 hour commute lol) and I was able to duplicate it. Mine is also, from what I’m guessing, that weather stripping on the top of the door that’s between the plastic and frame. I was thinking of putting silicone all the way around it, but I haven’t even taken a look at it properly as I got home at 8pm. I’ll look at it tomorrow and see if that could be a solution. Or add some 3m double sided tape under it. I just know darn well that the dealer won’t do anything about it. They’ll just say they don’t duplicate it even though I hear it over music with my volume at 11, which is pretty loud for a quiet drive with the 19 speakers. I’ll let you know what I discover though. Hopefully someone can chime in with a solution lol

2019 Laramie

renzo2213

Reaction score
My drivers door does this also. Seems to be weather dependent?

I think the cold weather makes it do it or it’s just dried out. It didn’t start until recently, maybe the past 1,500 miles or so. I bought it in September 2019, she’s got just a hair over 9,000 miles. But I don’t know, because we’ve have much much colder days then the pasts few weeks and everything was fine

illucid

Reaction score
I think the cold weather makes it do it or it’s just dried out. It didn’t start until recently, maybe the past 1,500 miles or so. I bought it in September 2019, she’s got just a hair over 9,000 miles. But I don’t know, because we’ve have much much colder days then the pasts few weeks and everything was fine

Honestly, my truck has so many other annoying sounds that are way worse this one is the least of my worries. Love the truck but hate the little ticks, clicks and rattles in my early production truck..

renzo2213

Reaction score

I had a late build June 2019. Only noises I have is this once, a rattle from the front left speaker, and the hvac fan whistling noise. Other than that, I would drive this thing 24/7 if my wife would let me lol

illucid

Reaction score
I had a late build June 2019. Only noises I have is this once, a rattle from the front left speaker, and the hvac fan whistling noise. Other than that, I would drive this thing 24/7 if my wife would let me lol

Ya mines a June 2018 build.

Nj921

Reaction score
@renzo2213 I’ve had 2 2019 bighorns bought back because they were making all kinds of noises, parts breakingand just poor quality control. This has been my only issue so far on the new one, so as irritating as it is, I’m ok with it lol. But please keep me updated. If I get around to it I’ll let you know as well.

On a side note, I’m blown away by the 9 speaker alpine after having the stock bighorn speakers previously. I can’t even imagine what that HK system sounds like!

@illucid mine seems to be there the majority of the time regardless of weather. I actually noticed it the day I picked it up but hoped it was a fluke and would go away on its own, but that never happens.

renzo2213

Reaction score
@Nj921 please tell me how you got them to buy it back? Aside from the weird noises, the tail gate is very badly aligned and it’s chipping paint from the side because it’s so far right, the ram boxes are amazing, but horribly aligned (they charged me to realign it but I’m sure everyone can figure out what happened when they charged me), my fuel tank doesn’t fill up all the way, it stops well before. Normally 3/4-7/8 of a tank full. Unless I stand there and pump in tiny bursts for a good 10 minutes in New England weather which won’t happen, the list goes on. But as far as weird noises that’s it lol

Nj921

Reaction score
@Nj921 please tell me how you got them to buy it back? Aside from the weird noises, the tail gate is very badly aligned and it’s chipping paint from the side because it’s so far right, the ram boxes are amazing, but horribly aligned (they charged me to realign it but I’m sure everyone can figure out what happened when they charged me), my fuel tank doesn’t fill up all the way, it stops well before. Normally 3/4-7/8 of a tank full. Unless I stand there and pump in tiny bursts for a good 10 minutes in New England weather which won’t happen, the list goes on. But as far as weird noises that’s it lol

Truck number 1 was one of the first trucks off the line when they first started selling them. Had to take it right back to the dealer and it needed 17 parts, all backordered. From body mounts and hardware, front differential, and even a steering wheel that was stitched wrong. So after they “fixed” it i took it right back and said try again, nothing was repaired. So they did. They brought in a Chrysler advisor, had me come back and drop it off 5 more times. The very last time i picked it up they had it all washed up and ready to go and from about 10 feet away my heart sunk because the truck was covered from hood to rear bumper in scratches. Not just swirls, enough for it to go into the body shop for repair. they ended up finishing the truck and delivered it to me and it looked like a 3rd grader had repainted the truck, and low and behold not one issue was fixed.

Chrysler was completely useless in the whole situation, and I ended up sending out an email to every higher up at the dealership and within 20 minutes i had a phone call to come in and swap the truck out, same lease payment and a later build.

Truck number 2 lasted 5 months and duplicated every issue the previous truck had so I called them back and got a little angry with the sales manager and told him they are not touching this truck and I want out of it. I asked for a 2020 model, and they happened to have laramie sports come in and they gave me a hell of a deal. The salesmen and manager at my dealer are exceptional. I thought for sure I’d be stuck with it for the 2-3 year lease, but they stepped up and bailed me out, twice. New truck is 10/2019 build. I’ve been crossing my fingers since i picked it up last month.

Billetram1500

Reaction score
Check all the Christmas tree clips on the rubber on the bottom and front edges of the door mine came loose and would rattle. Was painful to listen to took it to the dealer they found it and fixed it.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Truck number 1 was one of the first trucks off the line when they first started selling them. Had to take it right back to the dealer and it needed 17 parts, all backordered. From body mounts and hardware, front differential, and even a steering wheel that was stitched wrong. So after they “fixed” it i took it right back and said try again, nothing was repaired. So they did. They brought in a Chrysler advisor, had me come back and drop it off 5 more times. The very last time i picked it up they had it all washed up and ready to go and from about 10 feet away my heart sunk because the truck was covered from hood to rear bumper in scratches. Not just swirls, enough for it to go into the body shop for repair. they ended up finishing the truck and delivered it to me and it looked like a 3rd grader had repainted the truck, and low and behold not one issue was fixed.

Chrysler was completely useless in the whole situation, and I ended up sending out an email to every higher up at the dealership and within 20 minutes i had a phone call to come in and swap the truck out, same lease payment and a later build.

Truck number 2 lasted 5 months and duplicated every issue the previous truck had so I called them back and got a little angry with the sales manager and told him they are not touching this truck and I want out of it. I asked for a 2020 model, and they happened to have laramie sports come in and they gave me a hell of a deal. The salesmen and manager at my dealer are exceptional. I thought for sure I’d be stuck with it for the 2-3 year lease, but they stepped up and bailed me out, twice. New truck is 10/2019 build. I’ve been crossing my fingers since i picked it up last month.

Dang, I hope this one does it for you lol I’ve been to the dealer multiple times, still no fix for anything. I got in touch with FCA and they said they were going to get them to fix it and that they would call me back after they talked to the dealer. It’s been almost 3 weeks, still nothing

renzo2213

Reaction score
Check all the Christmas tree clips on the rubber on the bottom and front edges of the door mine came loose and would rattle. Was painful to listen to took it to the dealer they found it and fixed it.

I played around with the weather stripping a bit, all the clips are okay and in position, so I have no idea what to do because I know that my dealer won’t do anything about it. They even took a month and a half to replace the outside window molding thing that came with a piece ripped off from factory, and that was discussed prior to the sale. I have no hope lol

Nj921

Reaction score
Unfortunately FCA does not care. They were involved with my repairs, and it was escalated multiple times. After I thought everything was fixed they offered me an extended warranty for the truck, which they knew damn well was a lease and wouldn't even apply. When I told them that, they then offered me free oil changes for the duration of the lease which I accepted just for the hassle, but right after that is when the truck got bought back and poof, the case was closed and oil change agreement was non-transferable to the new truck. @RamCares if you want to look into this and PM me that would be great.

I checked my clips this morning too, and they are fine. I might just drip a small amount of silicone in the weather stripping to see if it helps.

It's not even worth taking it to the dealership because you are right, they will do nothing. They really like playing the "We couldnt duplicate it" card. In fact, on my previous truck, they claimed they couldnt hear the frame creaking, or the auto 4wd binding so they had me test drive it with their technician who agreed he heard both during the test drive. When I picked it up, the noises were still there and the paperwork said could not duplicate.

d19r93

Reaction score
Thank the lord I'm not the only one to hear this! It seems to be when it's cold when mine does it. Drives me nuts! The truck is completely silent otherwise, so it makes it that much worse lol

renzo2213

Reaction score
Thank the lord I'm not the only one to hear this! It seems to be when it's cold when mine does it. Drives me nuts! The truck is completely silent otherwise, so it makes it that much worse lol

That’s the thing with this truck... they’re so quiet that you hear everything that’s wrong with it. Sometimes I feel like I just want to drive it into a tree and that’d be the end of it

renzo2213

Reaction score
Anyone else’s door randomly stop rattling? It’s warmed up a bit here, it went from 3 degrees to 50 degrees the next day. So safe to say it’s weather related. But as someone who lives in a place where the weather has insane mood swings, this will get old faster than the rumors of ww3

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread