5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift kit options

Truckone176

Reaction score
I was going to lower my truck but decided on a lift instead, already have some lowered toys. Anyway, I see that there are many different options ranging from spacers to coil overs to full kits that included cross members. I really only want about 4 inches of lift to clear 35" tires, can't do 37" tires as I have the 3.21 gearing and don't want the truck to be hunting for gears with that tall of a tire and that short of a rear end gear. Which kit would you recommend, this will be primarily for on road use with some light off road use on a farm, not rock crawling the truck. Also, don't really need super high end coil overs. Also, should I look for something that included upper control arms for alignment purposes? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The search function is a great tool to use since this topic is heavily discussed.

You can get a 2” level and fit 35’s. You don’t necessarily have to go 4”.

I went with Mopar 2”UCA’s paired with Rough Country 2” struts. In the rear I will have 1” Motofab spacer to maintain a slight rake for towing/bed load. For tires I am going with Yokohama AT G015. 285/65r20 (34.8x11.6x20). I will be installing the lift this weekend and tires next Wednesday. I’ll keep you posted with how it rides, but after all my research, I anticipate I’ll be plenty happy and won’t have any hiccups. This set up will be mostly daily driving with a few mild off-roading trips a year.

mrclortho

Reaction score
3.5" Ready Lift spacer kit on 35's (true size), retained stock shocks, relatively inexpensive
8k miles of being used like a truck should and has been great.

ram31.jpg

ram30.jpg

Fbird

Reaction score
on STOCK rims the 35's SHOULD clear with a 3" lift..... FIRST you need to know WHAT you have!

????

Ram offered an Off Road Package which raised the front end 1" over non orp trucks. A NON-ORP truck will need a 3" front lift and very very minor massage to work with 35's. once you change rims/backspacing...all bets are off. An ORP truck will need a 2" lift in the front to clear 35's. The rear of either truck is THE SAME. so Ram provide about 1.5-2" worth of RAKE (*** high) so the rear is adjusted per what YOU want it to be...easy peezy fyi you do NOT need new rear shocks on a 2" lift.

2.5" rear
2.5" front
RC UCA's

ORP equipt truck. my wheel choice of -24mm offset put my 335x12.5x20....rubbing the inner fenders until i did 20 minutes work on them

Last edited:

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
I was going to lower my truck but decided on a lift instead, already have some lowered toys. Anyway, I see that there are many different options ranging from spacers to coil overs to full kits that included cross members. I really only want about 4 inches of lift to clear 35" tires, can't do 37" tires as I have the 3.21 gearing and don't want the truck to be hunting for gears with that tall of a tire and that short of a rear end gear. Which kit would you recommend, this will be primarily for on road use with some light off road use on a farm, not rock crawling the truck. Also, don't really need super high end coil overs. Also, should I look for something that included upper control arms for alignment purposes? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
I got the Rough Country 3.5” lift on my 2020 Ram 1500 . Im running 20x9” XD Hoss wheels with 0 offset and 35x12.50 R20 Arturro Trail Blade XTs

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
I was told the stock rims wont clear 35” tires because of theyre -17 offset and will rub the control arm. Which is why I switched to the 0 offset set up

Overw8gorilla

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Sport 1500. Put a 4" BDS lift on it, with Black Rhino Wanaka 35x12.5x20R wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I used to have 3.21 gears also but with the wheels and tires it was still a bit much and my transmission started to search for gears. I had 3.92 gears installed and it is soooo smooth. Be cautious throwing 35s on stock powertrain. I do love the BDS lift but it doesn't come with aftermarket coilovers if that is a must. With the kit I got you can get upgraded upper control arms. But the ones from BDS are about 1K for just the control arms. I am happy with the BDS kit other than I'm trying to now find coilovers that I can install and take out the 4" puck that is installed on the top of the coilover.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
In my signature but i run the Bilstein level kit and run 35s on a stock rim. no rubbing, no spacers.

if your gona lift, do it right and stick with suspension lifts/levels.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Sport 1500. Put a 4" BDS lift on it, with Black Rhino Wanaka 35x12.5x20R wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I used to have 3.21 gears also but with the wheels and tires it was still a bit much and my transmission started to search for gears. I had 3.92 gears installed and it is soooo smooth. Be cautious throwing 35s on stock powertrain. I do love the BDS lift but it doesn't come with aftermarket coilovers if that is a must. With the kit I got you can get upgraded upper control arms. But the ones from BDS are about 1K for just the control arms. I am happy with the BDS kit other than I'm trying to now find coilovers that I can install and take out the 4" puck that is installed on the top of the coilover.
Not gonna happen dude. 4" pucks is how they do 4" lifts. You can't get 4" leveling coil overs. You can keep your regular coil overs with a 6 inch lift though.

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score

Ramnado

Reaction score
I got the Rough Country 3.5” lift on my 2020 Ram 1500 . Im running 20x9” XD Hoss wheels with 0 offset and 35x12.50 R20 Arturro Trail Blade XTs
BigHorn,

What’s going on with this rough country 3.5” lift? How long have you had it? Any advice for people considering it? Mostly city driving, tow a boat 5 times a year, couple hunting trips a year…

Thanks.

utlong31

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Laramie 1500 with stock 20” that I had the RC 3 1/2” lift put on recently with Fox shocks and 35” tires. Still have some rubbing and a clunking on the drivers side. I had the 2” leveling spacer on it for a year and I think it rubs more now than it did with just the spacer. I’m not sure what to do next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Laramie 1500 with stock 20” that I had the RC 3 1/2” lift put on recently with Fox shocks and 35” tires. Still have some rubbing and a clunking on the drivers side. I had the 2” leveling spacer on it for a year and I think it rubs more now than it did with just the spacer. I’m not sure what to do next.

Verify that the spring isn’t hitting the control arm when the suspensions extends. Easy way is use a paint pen mark the outside of the spring (toward the control arm) then go for a drive where ever the clunk happens to occur (pot hole/curb/defect in road etc). If you see paint transfer missing or on the control arm you know it’s hitting even though you can verify it basically just by looking at the clearance between the control arm and spring with the front end jacked up and the suspension extended out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

utlong31

Reaction score
Verify that the spring isn’t hitting the shock when the suspensions is extended. Easy way is use a paint pen mark the inside of the spring (toward the shock) then go for a drive where ever the clunk happens to occur (pot hole/curb/defect in road etc). If you see paint transfer on the shock you know it’s hitting even though you can verify it basically just by looking at the clearance between the shock and spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks I’ll give it a try. What’s the fix?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remove the spacers lol and go with something adjustable like Bilsteins 5100s to set your desired height. Basically the spacer pushes the shock assemble down causes the spring to make contact with the control arm when the suspension engages.

Edit: my mistake its an issue with the spring hitting the control arm not the shock. Sorry it’s been a minute since I did the install had to think about it.

Bad swaybar bushings or shot endlinks can also cause a clunking. Suspension maxx for better endlinks and energy suspenion or moog for replacement swaybar bushings.

Last edited:

Truckone176

Reaction score
Update on my truck, it's a Sport model without the off road package and the factory 22" wheels. Ideally, I want to put 35s on the truck and not have to buy new wheels, but if I do I plan to go down to 20" for a little more sidewall.

Truckone176

Reaction score
Been researching and searching this site about lifts and was wondering what the difference is between going with a 3" or so leveling kit with coil overs or a kit like Zone offroad or Fabtech that had new knuckles and cross members? Other than the obvious parts difference and difficulty in the installation of the two types of lifts? Zone kit, 4

utlong31

Reaction score
Remove the spacers lol and go with something adjustable like Bilsteins 5100s to set your desired height. Basically the spacer pushes the shock assemble down causes the spring to make contact with the control arm when the suspension engages.

Edit: my mistake its an issue with the spring hitting the control arm not the shock. Sorry it’s been a minute since I did the install had to think about it.

Bad swaybar bushings or shot endlinks can also cause a clunking. Suspension maxx for better endlinks and energy suspenion or moog for replacement swaybar bushings.

Finally got the Suspension Max end links ordered. Thank you for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread