5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling Strut Options - Bilstein vs. Rough Country

Ram Dude

Reaction score
For the RL 3.5" Lift - https://www.readylift.com/3-5-sst-lift-kit-2019-ram-1500-4wd-1.html. Shop installed everything but the 2" preload coil spacer (just the 1.5" top hat spacer).
I believe part # for Bilstein Ride Height Adjustable shock for 2019-2021 Ram 1500 is 24-232203 B8 5100 (others on here can probably correct me if I'm wrong). With the adjustable shocks can chuck the RL 2" coil spacer and set adjustable shock clip setting to 4 or 5 to provide the 3.5" lift all around. I set mine at #5 (you can see pics in my signature) and I believe setting #4 gives a little bit of rake. I didn't install new shocks in rear, they're factory still. That's it, other than adding 1.5" Venum wheel spacers to alleviate UCA rubbing. I kept my factory wheels with 295/65/20 NRG tires...These friggin tires are HUGE at over 35" diameter, so they'll definitely rub with my setup...Had to remove front mud flaps and carve out some areas on plastic fender well linings. Can pretty much turn full lock with exception of full right on highway clover leafs however, I'm starting to wonder if this is not rubbing but something with steering column/breaking...It's kind of weird and I've been trying to read forums talking about steering column issues/vibrations with turns, so IDK...Other than that drives like a dream.
"Steering column/breaking"...I meant "braking" 😂 (i.e. happens while turning and breaking at the same time but only on sharp right turns on highway clover leafs)

XoVoX

Reaction score
@Ram Dude Thanks for the follow up! I'm having a real PITA with my stock wheels and finding other options, these factory 22's are nice looking but I dont like the small side walls.

Highertechnology

Reaction score
For the RL 3.5" Lift - https://www.readylift.com/3-5-sst-lift-kit-2019-ram-1500-4wd-1.html. Shop installed everything but the 2" preload coil spacer (just the 1.5" top hat spacer).
I believe part # for Bilstein Ride Height Adjustable shock for 2019-2021 Ram 1500 is 24-232203 B8 5100 (others on here can probably correct me if I'm wrong). With the adjustable shocks can chuck the RL 2" coil spacer and set adjustable shock clip setting to 4 or 5 to provide the 3.5" lift all around. I set mine at #5 (you can see pics in my signature) and I believe setting #4 gives a little bit of rake. I didn't install new shocks in rear, they're factory still. That's it, other than adding 1.5" Venum wheel spacers to alleviate UCA rubbing. I kept my factory wheels with 295/65/20 NRG tires...These friggin tires are HUGE at over 35" diameter, so they'll definitely rub with my setup...Had to remove front mud flaps and carve out some areas on plastic fender well linings. Can pretty much turn full lock with exception of full right on highway clover leafs however, I'm starting to wonder if this is not rubbing but something with steering column/breaking...It's kind of weird and I've been trying to read forums talking about steering column issues/vibrations with turns, so IDK...Other than that drives like a dream.

What was install cost of you don’t mind me asking?

DarkKn1ght

Reaction score
Based on.......
Past experience with both brands. Ask me why I had to completely change out my lift kit on my old WJ? I actually take my Jeeps off road. Rough County uses garbage hardware. Everything should be grade 8 hardware. Rough Country didn't get that memo. I have had Bilstein on multiple Jeeps and my old Ram and swear by them. I'm going to be ordering a Bilstein leveling kit for my current Ram within a month or so.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Past experience with both brands. Ask me why I had to completely change out my lift kit on my old WJ? I actually take my Jeeps off road. Rough County uses garbage hardware. Everything should be grade 8 hardware. Rough Country didn't get that memo. I have had Bilstein on multiple Jeeps and my old Ram and swear by them. I'm going to be ordering a Bilstein leveling kit for my current Ram within a month or so.
Thanks for the insight based on your personal experience. Was your RC experience recent? I know they have had a sketchy past but have heard alot of positive reviews about their product line as of late. I have had tons of Lifts from Carli to BDS to Old Man Emu and many more and can't really say one is better than the other. I figured this go around I would try RC and see what its all about. If I feel that the material or products are sub par I will take it off and go another route.

DarkKn1ght

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight based on your personal experience. Was your RC experience recent? I know they have had a sketchy past but have heard alot of positive reviews about their product line as of late. I have had tons of Lifts from Carli to BDS to Old Man Emu and many more and can't really say one is better than the other. I figured this go around I would try RC and see what its all about. If I feel that the material or products are sub par I will take it off and go another route.
I think it was 7 or 8 years ago now. I just realized that I have had my TJ for 6 years already. I love Old Man Emu and BDS. I've had both of them before too. My TJ currently has ZJ OME springs in the front and LJ OME springs in the rear. I upgraded the WJ from Rough Country to Teraflex when they still made WJ lifts. My friends who would go to Rausch Creek with me used to say it was like off roading a couch.

XoVoX

Reaction score
Just looking at the Ready LIft site and seeing this:

"Note: NOT intended for off-road use or abuse.

Note: If running a 35x12.50-20, the minimum wheel offset is 0 offset on a 9" wide wheel. If running a 295/65-20 the minimum is a +18 offset to ensure the tire does not rub the control arm at full turn. "

It makes me question getting the setup. Like I'm not a rock crawler guy, especially with a full size half ton, but I still would expect the setup to live up to some sort of off roading. I mean besides a look it needs functionality.

mp1

Reaction score
Hey man, I think I'm looking at this route with my truck. Build wise it seems identical to yours but I was wondering if you could provide part numbers for the stuff you used to reach that height?

Which bilstein's did you go with? Same front and rear? Which spacers?
I went with 5100s all around. You can always go with 6112s up front and 5160s in the rear like some do, but that obviously costs more. Quad 5100s are the cheapest route that will still give you great bang for your buck. The 5100s were night/day type better than the OE.

Hopefully next week I'll have Bilstein 8112/8100 series on my truck, which are the best they make for 1/2 tons.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I went with 5100s all around. You can always go with 6112s up front and 5160s in the rear like some do, but that obviously costs more. Quad 5100s are the cheapest route that will still give you great bang for your buck. The 5100s were night/day type better than the OE.

Hopefully next week I'll have Bilstein 8112/8100 series on my truck, which are the best they make for 1/2 tons.
Look forward to a report after you get them on!

Reactions: mp1

XoVoX

Reaction score

So you're saying a set of these? Nothing else needs to be done? No UCA's or anything?

1615814986709.png

XoVoX

Reaction score
I'm looking at those 5160's and to me it seems as they will accommodate up to two inches of lift? Then a spacer + adjustment on the 6112's to level it out?

Or am I looking at it wrong lol?

1615817140137.png

Attachments

• 1615817109227.png
    1615817109227.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 24

mp1

Reaction score
Some say if you raise the front 2" or more, you will need a new UCA, some say 2.5" or more. Each has a point, so it's up to you.

I did not do anything else besides have a heavy duty spring installed in the rear to accommodate the difference in height for the front so I can still have some rake

Here is what I have:

1615831228126.png
1615831262504.png
1615831469509.png

To get the exact part number, I went to https://cart.bilsteinus.com/

fastlanez

Reaction score
I went with Bilstein's and they offer a better ride quality than factory and don't bottom out over speed bumps like the factory struts did.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i havea rebel i wanna upgrade to 6112 and was thinking of upgrading rear to 5100 that should allow me to get a extra inch higher ?

mp1

Reaction score
So i havea rebel i wanna upgrade to 6112 and was thinking of upgrading rear to 5100 that should allow me to get a extra inch higher ?
If you go with a 6112 in the front, I'm sure Bilstein will say they recommend going with a 5160 in the rear, as those were developed to complement each other.
Going with just a 5100 in the rear might be too much of a ride quality issue since it's such a disparity from the front. I can't say for certain, I'd call Bilstein to confirm and see what they say. Regardless, if you're going to pay for a 6112, might as well just get a 5160.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go with a 6112 in the front, I'm sure Bilstein will say they recommend going with a 5160 in the rear, as those were developed to complement each other.
Going with just a 5100 in the rear might be too much of a ride quality issue since it's such a disparity from the front. I can't say for certain, I'd call Bilstein to confirm and see what they say. Regardless, if you're going to pay for a 6112, might as well just get a 5160
Yes i planned on that. Just cant find them they all sold out ha

mp1

Reaction score
Yes i planned on that. Just cant find them they all sold out ha
Doing a bit more research on it, some actually do go 6112/5100. I thought that wouldn't work right but ya learn something new every day...

With this pandemic, one could've never predicted the amount backorder for all the shock manufacturers. Hope you can find a set soon.

Users who are viewing this thread