5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling Strut Options - Bilstein vs. Rough Country

ramchops

Reaction score
Interested in anyone’s opinions on this one.
Looking for leveling options on my 19 Laramie.
Don’t want to do a spacer and ruin the ride quality by preloading the spring.

So that leaves new front struts..
Option 1: Rough Country N3 leveling struts
- has new springs and struts so this should retain OEM ride quality pretty well
- unsure of product longevity - never used a rough country product.. is this going to be junk in 20k miles ? 50k miles?

Option 2: Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks
- retains use off OEM spring - most reviews state that by adjusting to the higher range (2” +), you compress/preload the OE springs and obviously stiffen the ride (something I want to avoid)
- Bilstein definitely makes a quality product and I wouldn’t worry about product longevity as much

These are some of the factors I’m at least thinking of right now.. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramchops

Reaction score
Bump. Is nobody doing these?

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Bilstein adjustables for me. If not doing anything to the rear, the perfect 2" level would set clip to highest position (which I believe is 7). That's what I initially did on my stock 2020 Ram, but naturally I later wanted to go higher, so installed 3.5" Readylift SST lift kit with new RL UCAs. Didn't use 2" front preload spacers that came with kit but just lowered the Bilsteins to level 5 and added the 1.5" RL top hat spacers and 2" spacers in rear for a perfect 3.5" lift/level...After that I naturally upgraded my tires from 33 to 35" 😂.

Brodell65

Reaction score
Little late but just installed eibach adjustable shocks. Shocks have 4 settings. My clip is on 3rd setting and I have orp. Leveled truck perfectly and ride is very smooth

Brodell65

Reaction score
Bilstein adjustables for me. If not doing anything to the rear, the perfect 2" level would set clip to highest position (which I believe is 7). That's what I initially did on my stock 2020 Ram, but naturally I later wanted to go higher, so installed 3.5" Readylift SST lift kit with new RL UCAs. Didn't use 2" front preload spacers that came with kit but just lowered the Bilsteins to level 5 and added the 1.5" RL top hat spacers and 2" spacers in rear for a perfect 3.5" lift/level...After that I naturally upgraded my tires from 33 to 35" 😂.
Would like to see this setup. Also, what’s the measurement from ground to fender front n rear?

Ram Dude

Reaction score
I’ll try and get exact measurements today, but if I recall I think it was something like 42.9”, but I’ll confirm this.

Miked513

Reaction score
Little late but just installed eibach adjustable shocks. Shocks have 4 settings. My clip is on 3rd setting and I have orp. Leveled truck perfectly and ride is very smooth

Haven’t considered these and now you have me curious. I too have a 4x4 with the ORP. Added a ranch hand and the front is sitting a littler lower than it was without it so the adjustable clip is a must for me to compensate. Can you upload some pics of the fender well showing them installed and then a side shot of the truck?

Brodell65

Reaction score
Haven’t considered these and now you have me curious. I too have a 4x4 with the ORP. Added a ranch hand and the front is sitting a littler lower than it was without it so the adjustable clip is a must for me to compensate. Can you upload some pics of the fender well showing them installed and then a side shot of the truck?

Attachments

• AA9339C2-B15D-46DC-8204-BA7C6B18B47F.jpeg
    AA9339C2-B15D-46DC-8204-BA7C6B18B47F.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 3DDEF69C-5BCE-4076-9267-8670B35CC8CC.jpeg
    3DDEF69C-5BCE-4076-9267-8670B35CC8CC.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 04E5E09A-D260-4871-B7F5-4BCBB25ED2E6.jpeg
    04E5E09A-D260-4871-B7F5-4BCBB25ED2E6.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 7BC12271-DD8D-425C-BE85-0C7162C6C006.jpeg
    7BC12271-DD8D-425C-BE85-0C7162C6C006.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 040698A0-B214-444B-9DCA-66F2EAE3396E.jpeg
    040698A0-B214-444B-9DCA-66F2EAE3396E.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 229

puba08

Reaction score
Why isn’t Eibach and option. Love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ramchops

Reaction score
Bilstein adjustables for me. If not doing anything to the rear, the perfect 2" level would set clip to highest position (which I believe is 7). That's what I initially did on my stock 2020 Ram, but naturally I later wanted to go higher, so installed 3.5" Readylift SST lift kit with new RL UCAs. Didn't use 2" front preload spacers that came with kit but just lowered the Bilsteins to level 5 and added the 1.5" RL top hat spacers and 2" spacers in rear for a perfect 3.5" lift/level...After that I naturally upgraded my tires from 33 to 35" .

So with the Bilsteins do you feel like you compromise ride quality?

FDChauffeur91

Reaction score
So I know this thread is against them, but I was looking at getting the 2" leveling spacers from rough country. Does is really make that much of a difference in ride quality vs replacing the struts? The spacers are $50 vs the struts at $330. This is the first truck I've gotten that I'm adding mods to. Any input is appreciated.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
So with the Bilsteins do you feel like you compromise ride quality?

Absolutely not. In fact it’s equal or better than stock.

Bilsteins are higher quality than our OEM shocks, and, if only doing 2” lift/level, it’s better to do with and adjustable shocks vice adding coil spacers to create lift. Talk about harsher ride.

If you decide later to go higher than 2” lift (eg 3.5” lift like mine), then with bilstein adjustable shocks all you do is adjust the ride height clip and throw on top hat spacers (I.e. no coil spacers needed).

Brodell65

Reaction score
So I know this thread is against them, but I was looking at getting the 2" leveling spacers from rough country. Does is really make that much of a difference in ride quality vs replacing the struts? The spacers are $50 vs the struts at $330. This is the first truck I've gotten that I'm adding mods to. Any input is appreciated.
IMO, I had the readylift 2” level. Just swapped out to eibach adjustable shocks. I definitely have a smoother ride now but with the spacers it wasn’t bad at all especially if you go 2” I don’t think you will have a bad ride

dyoderii

Reaction score
I installed option 1: 2019 Laramie
After install of the struts the lift is more like 3". Can anyone report that the springs relax after a few weeks under load? If not i will need a rear lift. Darn!
There are some creeks and clunks. Might be a loose nut on the sway bar assembly.
Toyo AT II 295.70R18 Stock rim.

XoVoX

Reaction score
Absolutely not. In fact it’s equal or better than stock.

Bilsteins are higher quality than our OEM shocks, and, if only doing 2” lift/level, it’s better to do with and adjustable shocks vice adding coil spacers to create lift. Talk about harsher ride.

If you decide later to go higher than 2” lift (eg 3.5” lift like mine), then with bilstein adjustable shocks all you do is adjust the ride height clip and throw on top hat spacers (I.e. no coil spacers needed).
Hey man, I think I'm looking at this route with my truck. Build wise it seems identical to yours but I was wondering if you could provide part numbers for the stuff you used to reach that height?

Which bilstein's did you go with? Same front and rear? Which spacers?

Ram Dude

Reaction score
For the RL 3.5" Lift - https://www.readylift.com/3-5-sst-lift-kit-2019-ram-1500-4wd-1.html. Shop installed everything but the 2" preload coil spacer (just the 1.5" top hat spacer).
I believe part # for Bilstein Ride Height Adjustable shock for 2019-2021 Ram 1500 is 24-232203 B8 5100 (others on here can probably correct me if I'm wrong). With the adjustable shocks can chuck the RL 2" coil spacer and set adjustable shock clip setting to 4 or 5 to provide the 3.5" lift all around. I set mine at #5 (you can see pics in my signature) and I believe setting #4 gives a little bit of rake. I didn't install new shocks in rear, they're factory still. That's it, other than adding 1.5" Venum wheel spacers to alleviate UCA rubbing. I kept my factory wheels with 295/65/20 NRG tires...These friggin tires are HUGE at over 35" diameter, so they'll definitely rub with my setup...Had to remove front mud flaps and carve out some areas on plastic fender well linings. Can pretty much turn full lock with exception of full right on highway clover leafs however, I'm starting to wonder if this is not rubbing but something with steering column/breaking...It's kind of weird and I've been trying to read forums talking about steering column issues/vibrations with turns, so IDK...Other than that drives like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread