5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED light in tailgate handle

Abesosa

Reaction score
You guys think this causing any glare on the camera when backing? Would be a great way to delete the chrome back there

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vinnieloo

Reaction score
These three parts are on BAM wholesale or yourmorparparts. Not sure how to get the handle color correct. Also not sure if just plug and play or if you need to activate with AlfaOBD.

Cesar592

Reaction score
my auxiliary lamp is on its way and I want to see if it will be plung and play for the 1500 I will keep you informed

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
You guys think this causing any glare on the camera when backing? Would be a great way to delete the chrome back there

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is probably made to come on when the door is open or the lights in the back are on. My Ford had a light back there that would shine on the hitch so you could see to hook up a trailer at night. I think this would operate in the same manner and not be on all the time to interfere with the backup camera.

Cesar592

Reaction score
Today I received the auxiliary light and connected it but it only works when I open the tailgate and I think it is less than a second and it turns off it does not turn on in reverse even when the bed lights are on in my 2020

Attachments

• 950EFD6B-0F43-47DA-8B29-DE0CE3273F99.jpeg
    950EFD6B-0F43-47DA-8B29-DE0CE3273F99.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 35F9F2B7-EBC5-4DA6-9E5A-CE0B1B69F5AA.jpeg
    35F9F2B7-EBC5-4DA6-9E5A-CE0B1B69F5AA.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 284

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Today I received the auxiliary light and connected it but it only works when I open the tailgate and I think it is less than a second and it turns off it does not turn on in reverse even when the bed lights are on in my 2020
Where does the light plug in to? Based on Mopar info it turns on/off with the cargo light button inside the cab. See 1:50 mark.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I don't think it is made to be a reverse light. Probably like my Ford, a light for you to be able to see when you are hooking up a trailer.

Cesar592

Reaction score
a friend with his 2022 told me that they work this wayThey pull in reverse and when you open the doors. Also with bed box lights.

Cesar592

Reaction score
any idea how we can make that or hook it up to work properly

vinnieloo

Reaction score
What's the connector look like? Any pics? People have tied DIY bed lights to the cargo light button. May have to end up doing that

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the new tailgate harness for the trailer hitch light, pin 8 on the main tailgate harness 8-way connector is the trailer hitch light driver circuit.
Pin 8 on a pre-2022 of that 8-way tailgate harness connector is a second tailgate latch release driver circuit. This is why the light only illuminates for a second when you release the tailgate on your truck.
You would need to add the wire to the trailer hitch light circuit on the BCM, and run it to pin 8 on that chassis connector for the tailgate harness. But, I’ve already discovered that the trailer hitch light circuit is not active on a pre-2022 BCM. So, basically, you have to tap into some other circuit to get that light to work on a pre-2022 Ram, depending on how you want it to behave.

titan3636

Reaction score
could you install the lamp into the existing handle or did you have to buy all three parts listed above?

titan3636

Reaction score
On the new tailgate harness for the trailer hitch light, pin 8 on the main tailgate harness 8-way connector is the trailer hitch light driver circuit.
Pin 8 on a pre-2022 of that 8-way tailgate harness connector is a second tailgate latch release driver circuit. This is why the light only illuminates for a second when you release the tailgate on your truck.
You would need to add the wire to the trailer hitch light circuit on the BCM, and run it to pin 8 on that chassis connector for the tailgate harness. But, I’ve already discovered that the trailer hitch light circuit is not active on a pre-2022 BCM. So, basically, you have to tap into some other circuit to get that light to work on a pre-2022 Ram, depending on how you want it to behave.
is there a specific wire that can be tapped into on the 2021 limited harness that will enable it to come on when the white third break light is illuminated (when the vehicle is unlocked, etc)?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
could you install the lamp into the existing handle or did you have to buy all three parts listed above?
No, you need the handle with the hole for the lamp.
is there a specific wire that can be tapped into on the 2021 limited harness that will enable it to come on when the white third break light is illuminated (when the vehicle is unlocked, etc)?
Grab one of the bed light power wires.

Cesar592

Reaction score
I have the bed light which wires would have to go to the jimmy auxiliary light

Users who are viewing this thread