5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather seats not so leather??

eaglemike

Reaction score
Can you get your upholstery shop to put it in writing that it is not leather? Also, when they remove or repair the seat, can they give it to you for evidence? If, it is not leather, then FCA should be held accountable, not only for you, but for all who purchased with the understanding that the entire seats were leather.
She is willing to put it in writing. She doesn't have the color chart yet for 2019 materials, and she was quite shocked at the delamination. I showed her the hang tag, and she said real leather doesn't delaminate like that, or feel like this does where it's failing. She was also surprised that FCA would not warranty that. I'm still under 8K miles.
If and when I get the seats repaired, I will retain the old material. No question about that.

Saints

Reaction score
It's like Naugahyde. It's not at all real leather. I've done leather carving before, and shared a facility with a company that makes leather goods. I've also owned many real leather products including leather motorcycle racing suits. When it's a coating applied to a mesh fabric backing, it's not real leather. I have first hand knowledge, and know what I'm talking about. Get a piece of leather, real leather, and turn it over. Look for a mesh backing. It's not there.
That's why they call it "Natura" - I still have the hang tag on the back of my seat.
Our Mazda6 has a parchment leather interior. It's superior to the "leather" in my $60K plus list price Ram 1500. The Mazda has over 2X the miles, with zero flaws. We traded in a Mazda3 with leather, 40K miles, zero flaws.
If you had the experience that you say you do than you would know that it is in fact real leather. I’ve owned a leather repair business for 20+ years and I understand that you are frustrated, but that still doesn’t mean that you are right. I’ve explained it multiple times on here, but people just want to spew false information instead of trying to understand what the real problem is.

Saints

Reaction score
She is willing to put it in writing. She doesn't have the color chart yet for 2019 materials, and she was quite shocked at the delamination. I showed her the hang tag, and she said real leather doesn't delaminate like that, or feel like this does where it's failing. She was also surprised that FCA would not warranty that. I'm still under 8K miles.
If and when I get the seats repaired, I will retain the old material. No question about that.
An upholstery shop putting anything in writing means exactly what? Your shop is wrong, plain and simple, but go ahead and spend the money. Then make sure they give you the seat cover back after they have finished to inspect it and realize that you just stripped a perfectly good seat cover. The damage can be repaired and doesn’t need replacement, but go on ahead.

eaglemike

Reaction score
An upholstery shop putting anything in writing means exactly what? Your shop is wrong, plain and simple, but go ahead and spend the money. Then make sure they give you the seat cover back after they have finished to inspect it and realize that you just stripped a perfectly good seat cover. The damage can be repaired and doesn’t need replacement, but go on ahead.
You are not here, and you have not seen or touched the upholstery in my truck. I actually don't trust what you say, as I do have some experience. I made some tooling for and shared space in the building with Krasne's Triple K. They are located in San Diego, and make leather goods, as well as other things. There's lots of bad intel passed on the internet. I'm quite confident that I'm in the right on this one.
My seat cover would need to have some panels replaced. The dealer didn't quote that process. On the paperwork there were notes with prices well over $1K, indicating replacement.
When I mentioned keeping the parts above, I was referring to the replaced panels.
You are free to look up the reputation of Jims' Auto Upholstery. They are well thought of around here.
ETA: BTW, where the material delaminated at the side of the bolster, it's very easy to tell the material isn't leather. I'm very confident that if you could touch it, you would agree. I'll try to figure out if I can show in a picture or make a video.

Last edited:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are not here, and you have not seen or touched the upholstery in my truck. I actually don't trust what you say, as I do have some experience. I made some tooling for and shared space in the building with Krasne's Triple K. They are located in San Diego, and make leather goods, as well as other things. There's lots of bad intel passed on the internet. I'm quite confident that I'm in the right on this one.
My seat cover would need to have some panels replaced. The dealer didn't quote that process. On the paperwork there were notes with prices well over $1K, indicating replacement.
When I mentioned keeping the parts above, I was referring to the replaced panels.
You are free to look up the reputation of Jims' Auto Upholstery. They are well thought of around here.
ETA: BTW, where the material delaminated at the side of the bolster, it's very easy to tell the material isn't leather. I'm very confident that if you could touch it, you would agree. I'll try to figure out if I can show in a picture or make a video.
I contacted Ram Care Customer Service. I asked them to verify the materials in my 2019 Limited with indigo frost interior. They have responded to my question. This is copied verbatim from their response.

"According to available information, the seats equipped in this vehicle from the factory are covered with 100% leather."

I am satisfied that at least, for my Limited with my VIN number, my interior is "100 %" leather.

xspeedy

Reaction score
I contacted Ram Care Customer Service. I asked them to verify the materials in my 2019 Limited with indigo frost interior. They have responded to my question. This is copied verbatim from their response.

"According to available information, the seats equipped in this vehicle from the factory are covered with 100% leather."

I am satisfied that at least, for my Limited with my VIN number, my interior is "100 %" leather.

Not directly related, but you have to be careful when you hear phrases like leather seating surfaces and 100% leather. Leather seating surfaces means that the panels your body touches are leather. The side and rear panels are vinyl. This is typical for most vehicles. In many trucks such as the Laramie, the rear seats are entirely vinyl. 100% leather indicates the whole seat cover is leather, with no vinyl panels.

Given all that, leather varies greatly in quality, and auto leather I’m sure in something like our trucks isn’t the best. The finishing of the leather is also somthing to think about. My guess is that this stuff is painted/dyed and clear coated to give it that nice finish. Especially since the base leather isn’t great, it needs to rely on the coating to make it look presentable.

dailyherold

Reaction score
So should I not be using leather care products on my Laramie seats? Almost want to find a scrap, split it with some people, and cut into seats to truly understand which parts are leather vs not for maintenance sake.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So should I not be using leather care products on my Laramie seats? Almost want to find a scrap, split it with some people, and cut into seats to truly understand which parts are leather vs not for maintenance sake.
If the information that came with your truck states a leather interior and does not give any exception statements, such as " bolsters are vinyl, I would treat them as all leather and follow the FCA instructions for care. I tried to help clarify the issue by contacting RAM and they said my interior was 100% leather. As you can read, that still does not make some owners comfortable. If you choose to believe those who are posting on this forum that the seat material is not leather or "cheap leather" or some other leather variation or......, based on their knowledge and experience, then I guess you have to hope one of them will tell you how they would care for the seat material.

xspeedy

Reaction score

You can feel the difference for yourself. It is pretty obvious. Feel the rear bench and compare the part where your body (butt or back) makes contact to the front seat. Also compare the different panels on the front seat. Even visually there should be a difference. Vinyl has a very uniform grain since it is synthetic. Leather is natural and so won’t have that.

I get annoyed by YouTube reviewers that refer to the door panels or dash padding as being leather when they are obviously not. Yes, they have fake stitching - but it isn’t leather. Having leather on the dash of a BMW or true full leather is a several thousand dollar upgrade.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s telling that FCA advertises “50% more leather than the competition” in its brochures. There are only so many places to put that leather...

xspeedy

Reaction score
It’s telling that FCA advertises “50% more leather than the competition” in its brochures. There are only so many places to put that leather...

Maybe they are referring to the higher trims. The rear seats in the Limited and perhaps the Laramie Longhorn have leather seating surfaces vs the Laramie and most competitor trucks. Usually the rears are fully vinyl.

Here is a pic of one of my front seats. The skirt is most definitely vinyl as is the rear of the seat back and the pockets.

D188A2AB-DB02-443D-AB18-C1E5C96E0693.jpeg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they are referring to the higher trims. The rear seats in the Limited and perhaps the Laramie Longhorn have leather seating surfaces vs the Laramie and most competitor trucks. Usually the rears are fully vinyl.

Here is a pic of one of my front seats. The skirt is most definitely vinyl as is the rear of the seat back and the pockets.

View attachment 42541
Yes - to be fair, I was specifically referring to the Longhorn and Limited.

dailyherold

Reaction score

So in your pic, the skirt is vinyl, but safe to say that all surfaces on laramie that come in contact with butt/back in front seats are leather (not considering the suede/alcantara sections)? And of back seats are vinyl?

Last edited:

smashweights

Reaction score
Just noticed while looking over the truck today I have the same splitting. Extremely disappointed that this is not only happening but also quite pervasive. In service for about 1 year and 12k miles... Will be taking by the local dealership soon. Absolutely love this truck but this has me very worried about the quality of an otherwise incredible LOOKING interior

Attachments

• seak crack.jpg
    seak crack.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just noticed while looking over the truck today I have the same splitting. Extremely disappointed that this is not only happening but also quite pervasive. In service for about 1 year and 12k miles... Will be taking by the local dealership soon. Absolutely love this truck but this has me very worried about the quality of an otherwise incredible LOOKING interior
What’s your build date?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure, how do I check that exactly?
Build date is on white label on passenger side door frame. And seriously, you are just now noticing the seat shedding? Isn't that the driver's seat, the one you get in and out of each day?

Last edited:

smashweights

Reaction score
Build date is on white label on passenger side door frame. And seriously, you are just now noticing the seat shedding? Isn't that the diriver's seat, the one you get in and out of each day?
Thanks for the location. Just bought the truck as CPO about 2 weeks ago. I don't typically look down at the seat when I get in. Was showing my neighbor the interior yesterday and looking at it more closely. No need to be rude.

Users who are viewing this thread