5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leasing and modifying exhaust

BarnacleBrown

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm not sure if this has been asked before, I ran a few keyword searches but came up dry.
Like most of you, the exhaust on the Hemi is nice, but just not enough for me. I've had a Cobalt a 17 Ram V6 and now I finally have the HEMI, I want to hear the power!

I leased my 19 Big Horn. Now I know you can modify somethings on your truck while leasing and they don't bother you when you turn it in. For my 17 Ram, I did LED bulbs, Tint, Rims etc. but didn't cut anything off the truck.

I know a few here work for FCA and Ram dealerships. I almost positive that when I put the B2 Fabrications exhaust on my truck, it will void the exhaust warranty. Does modifying the exhaust void everything or just the exhaust system? Just want some info before I order it and then cut it off.

Thanks in advance!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I would go find the lease agreement and read the fine print.

It could end up that you'll end up buying it instead of turning it in. Or they may charge you full retail on parts and full shop rate on labor to restore it to stock. What we think is immaterial. What other dealers do doesn't matter. All that matters is the legally binding agreement that you signed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm not sure if this has been asked before, I ran a few keyword searches but came up dry.
Like most of you, the exhaust on the Hemi is nice, but just not enough for me. I've had a Cobalt a 17 Ram V6 and now I finally have the HEMI, I want to hear the power!

I leased my 19 Big Horn. Now I know you can modify somethings on your truck while leasing and they don't bother you when you turn it in. For my 17 Ram, I did LED bulbs, Tint, Rims etc. but didn't cut anything off the truck.

I know a few here work for FCA and Ram dealerships. I almost positive that when I put the B2 Fabrications exhaust on my truck, it will void the exhaust warranty. Does modifying the exhaust void everything or just the exhaust system? Just want some info before I order it and then cut it off.

Thanks in advance!
This is just common sense. You should not modify a vehicle that is technically not yours. Don't be surprised if they present you with a nice fat bill at the end.
Would you modify a rental? Didn't think so.

ramhead

Reaction score
Read your lease agreement down to the fine print. But I highly doubt they will be ok with the OEM exhaust being cut out and any aftermarket system installed on a leased vehicle - you don't own it, they do (or their bank/financier does). It also will change the noise/DB ratings of the stated interior noise levels which they use as a selling point (and they can claim you reduced the value of them reselling it because it was altered from original specs - not everyone likes a loud exhaust). Also, many returned leases are resold with mfg. 12 month warranty - how would they be able to warranty a non OEM, unauthorized part?

Think about it - if they allowed such a change then any Tom , Dicck or Harry would be chopping up their exhaust systems and putting in non authorized parts of unknown quality or if properly installed.

The worst case scenario is they charge you at the end of the lease for the alteration and the cost of returning it to stock (labor AND parts).

Last edited:

dsn112

Reaction score
Seriously people, It isn't that serious. Anything you do can just as easily be undone. I cut my mid muffler off and swapped in the B2 Fab magnaflow. If and when I return my leased truck, I unbolt the clamp, and swap back in the stock muffler. Boom, done.

BarnacleBrown

Reaction score
Seriously people, It isn't that serious. Anything you do can just as easily be undone. I cut my mid muffler off and swapped in the B2 Fab magnaflow. If and when I return my leased truck, I unbolt the clamp, and swap back in the stock muffler. Boom, done.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. Cut it clamp it and then return to stick when done. I've seen a handful of people turn in leases where they've modified something. Granted my last truck it was just plasti dipped emblems side steps, LEDs tailgate damper. All things that can easily be removed. They bought the truck outright since it had super low milage. Rather than me "turning it in" the dealership just bought it back from the bank, so they didn't even say anything about it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BarnacleBrown

Reaction score
This is just common sense. You should not modify a vehicle that is technically not yours. Don't be surprised if they present you with a nice fat bill at the end.
Would you modify a rental? Didn't think so.
I know it's common sense. I wasn't looking for a smart answer. I was looking for actual facts from people's personal experience or someone that actually works at a dealership. Thanks for your input though.

dsn112

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. Cut it clamp it and then return to stick when done. I've seen a handful of people turn in leases where they've modified something. Granted my last truck it was just plasti dipped emblems side steps, LEDs tailgate damper. All things that can easily be removed. They bought the truck outright since it had super low milage. Rather than me "turning it in" the dealership just bought it back from the bank, so they didn't even say anything about it.

I've modded every leased car I have ever had. I never do things that can't be undone, and If I get to the point I am returning it, I put it back to stock. I usually don't even make the end of the lease anyway, and wind up trading it early. Then it matters even less.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Well... you never mentioned returning it to stock ;)

Just know what you will not be able to clamp the stock back on, as it will be the same diameter as the pipe you cut it from. If you decide to do this, you will have to weld it back on...

ramhead

Reaction score
Well... you never mentioned returning it to stock ;)

Just know what you will not be able to clamp the stock back on, as it will be the same diameter as the pipe you cut it from. If you decide to do this, you will have to weld it back on...

Yep...I love how all the "just return it to stock" posters leave out such important info and make it sound super simple. Also, a weld joint on stainless steel pipe is a bit tricky (hard to get a good bead & prone to some leaking issues if not done really well). It would be obvious that it was messed with if they put it on a lift and inspected....will they? Who knows but it's a risk and one you might lose.

Also, not everyone has a place or wants to store the barrel sized OEM muffler & pipes (if you do a full cat back system) for 3+ years.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Assuming you made a decent deal on the front end with the residual value you can buyout the lease and trade it in the same day. No inspections, no lease end fees, no mileage overages, etc. You also get a substantial tax advantage in many states with a trade if you're buying the next vehicle. I've never had a lease I just turned in. I mod everything and always lease if the terms are more attractive than buying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

R

Rob5589

Your lease agreement will spell it out. It doesn't matter what others may have experienced, every agreement/dealership will have their own way of dealing with modifications. While you could cut it out, install XYZ muffler, then re-install the factory on return, it will be plainly obvious that it was welded back in place.

ramhead

Reaction score
Here's the answer(s) right from FCA/Chrysler leasing :

Under "WEAR" it states:

Excess Wear - the degree of wear caused outside the realm of normal or ordinary wear. Occurrences including:

• Abuse, neglect or poor maintenance
  • Damage or physical alteration
  • Use of inferior parts and materials for repair

Under "EXCESS EXTERIOR WEAR" it states this:

• Incomplete or subpar repairs
  • Any vehicle system/mechanical failure caused by noncompliance with manufacturer’s recommended maintenance program
  • Broken or malfunctioning equipment
  • Any replacement component that fails to meet manufacturer’s specification
And this:

AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS
  • Any modification to the vehicle’s performance components, suspension or fuel system
  • Any change to paint color, non-factory paint scheme or wrapping
  • Engraved, etched or tinted glass
  • Spray-on bed liners not installed by dealer
  • This list is for reference only and may not specify all instances of chargeable vehicle modifications

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my experience, when turning a lease in, the dealer did not even inspect the vehicle. They filled out a form and handed me a receipt. They don't own the vehicle, the lease company does. Next, the vehicle is picked up and sent to auction. Once the vehicle is sold at auction it gets inspected, and you will receive a final bill. Hopefully for $0. They may never even notice that it had been modified, or they may not even care. However, if they do notice and/or care, your final bill will include the amount it costs to return to stock (the cost of a new exhaust system plus labor.)

My advice would be to leave it as is.

I don't know how many miles are on your truck, but I will say this:

When my truck was brand new I thought the exhaust was a little too quiet. But now that it has 11,000 + miles on it, it has definitely woken up since it has broken in. It's much louder now, in a good way.

BarnacleBrown

Reaction score
In my experience, when turning a lease in, the dealer did not even inspect the vehicle. They filled out a form and handed me a receipt. They don't own the vehicle, the lease company does. Next, the vehicle is picked up and sent to auction. Once the vehicle is sold at auction it gets inspected, and you will receive a final bill. Hopefully for $0. They may never even notice that it had been modified, or they may not even care. However, if they do notice and/or care, your final bill will include the amount it costs to return to stock (the cost of a new exhaust system plus labor.)

My advice would be to leave it as is.

I don't know how many miles are on your truck, but I will say this:

When my truck was brand new I thought the exhaust was a little too quiet. But now that it has 11,000 + miles on it, it has definitely woken up since it has broken in. It's much louder now, in a good way.
I'm still indecisive on whether or not to do it and then turn it back to stock. I definitely won't be buying it out as I want more features on my next one. Currently at 1400 miles and change. My dad has a 17 Laramie w/stock exhaust and it's noticeably louder than my truck. Maybe it will wake up after some more break in?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
late to the party (was busy working then cutting up my front grille most of the night).

My dealer "bought" my leased Durango R/T as I "traded it in" for my 1500. It was never sent back to Chrysler and the dealer paid the $490 whatever fee to keep it and resell it .. some items can stay aftermarket; some can't. The dealer decides if they want to put it back to factory .. the tech does the Inspection and marks down any aftermarket items then marks the "Unable to Certify due to "X" aftermarket items". At least at our dealer, depending on the loudness/rust/etc., they would keep the aftermarket exhaust unless they feel that they could make more by returning to stock. If another dealer buys it, it falls unto them to replace it. There are a couple of places (and I don't know who/what/where) that FORCE us to replace everything, tires, etc. as we send it out the door -- to me it sounded like say one of those CarHop/CarMax/Vroom/etc. They are putting their reputation on the line and I get it.

If I do my exhaust on the truck, it will be from the exhaust manifolds back .. that way, if I am forced to return-to-stock, I can do so.

BarnacleBrown

Reaction score
Here's the answer(s) right from FCA/Chrysler leasing :

Under "WEAR" it states:

Excess Wear - the degree of wear caused outside the realm of normal or ordinary wear. Occurrences including:

• Abuse, neglect or poor maintenance
  • Damage or physical alteration
  • Use of inferior parts and materials for repair

Under "EXCESS EXTERIOR WEAR" it states this:

• Incomplete or subpar repairs
  • Any vehicle system/mechanical failure caused by noncompliance with manufacturer’s recommended maintenance program
  • Broken or malfunctioning equipment
  • Any replacement component that fails to meet manufacturer’s specification
And this:

AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS
  • Any modification to the vehicle’s performance components, suspension or fuel system
  • Any change to paint color, non-factory paint scheme or wrapping
  • Engraved, etched or tinted glass
  • Spray-on bed liners not installed by dealer
  • This list is for reference only and may not specify all instances of chargeable vehicle modifications
Well guess like 95% or more of us are F'd for tinted glass or bedliners haha. My last ram lease, I dipped wrapped the emblems and tinted the visor. Dealer did the bedliner. I'm sure tons of people tint and do bedliners and the dealer could care less. Now exhaust that's getting a little more frisky as most buyers want bedliners

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah .. the dealer submitted the tint request to the leasing agency .. if they wish to have it removed upon turn in, then, yup .. clean up time .. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread