5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lease end question?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan to buy out my lease as this has always been my plan but the dealership is saying I need to pay for a dealer inspection of the vehicle before purchasing. Has anyone else been told this? Is this another BS way for the dealer to get more money out of me? I was never informed of this when I leased and I can't find anything in the contract stating this.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I plan to buy out my lease as this has always been my plan but the dealership is saying I need to pay for a dealer inspection of the vehicle before purchasing. Has anyone else been told this? Is this another BS way for the dealer to get more money out of me? I was never informed of this when I leased and I can't find anything in the contract stating this.
What does the lease have to do with the dealership?
Did you not lease through a bank?

Who cares what the dealership says, it is not their truck.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does the lease have to do with the dealership?
Did you not lease through a bank?

Who cares what the dealership says, it is not their truck.
Correct, I leased through ALLY. The dealership is trying to say since I am technically buying the truck from them at the end of the lease that they don't want to sell a truck that they didn't look at before selling. Sounds like BS to me. I know this truck better than anyone and I'm good with buying it as is.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know there are inspections if you not buying out the lease but this sounds like bs to me
Yes, if I was turning in the lease then they would do the lease turn in inspection at no charge. However they are trying to charge $400 to inspect before selling to me 🙄. I'm sure they will also try to get me for BS repairs and interval maintenance.....

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call your state attorney generals office right away, they are trying to rip you off. There is NO inspection when you buy out a lease and as said before, you are buying it from the lease company, NOT the stealership!

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call your state attorney generals office right away, they are trying to rip you off. There is NO inspection when you buy out a lease and as said before, you are buying it from the lease company, NOT the stealership!
Lol, not sure I will go nuclear on this but it certainly sounds shady. I will give some pushback and also talk to ALLY to see what their thoughts are. I secured my own financing so I will also look into forgoing the dealership all together if possible. Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard of such a thing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dealership has absolutely nothing to do with the lease, or buy out. there is no reason to even get them involved. Even if you were turning it in, you don't have to go back to dealer you bought it from.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Correct, I leased through ALLY. The dealership is trying to say since I am technically buying the truck from them at the end of the lease that they don't want to sell a truck that they didn't look at before selling. Sounds like BS to me. I know this truck better than anyone and I'm good with buying it as is.
Yeah, that is an outright scam.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership has absolutely nothing to do with the lease, or buy out. there is no reason to even get them involved. Even if you were turning it in, you don't have to go back to dealer you bought it from.
Gotcha, I will talk to the lease company and weigh all my options. I thought it sounded a little weird. I try to avoid the dealership by all means possible.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, not sure I will go nuclear on this but it certainly sounds shady. I will give some pushback and also talk to ALLY to see what their thoughts are. I secured my own financing so I will also look into forgoing the dealership all together if possible. Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard of such a thing.
I am not even in your shoes and already a bunch of shady stuff is crossing my mind that would make me go nuclear
there is no way in hell the dealer is trying to buy the truck from under you and trying to resell it to you at today's cost? right? impossible

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've bought out 6 different leases and never had an inspection of any kind. As others mentioned no dealer needs to be involved, you request a payoff quote and send the check. All that said I find Ally to be the worst leasing company I've dealt with and would not lease with them again.

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not even in your shoes and already a bunch of shady stuff is crossing my mind that would make me go nuclear
there is no way in hell the dealer is trying to buy the truck from under you and trying to resell it to you at today's cost? right? impossible
No, they are agreeing to the buy out price of the original residual amount agreed upon when I leased. However, they are making it sound like I am buying it off of them so they want to look it over before selling..... for a fee of course.

The residual amount is pretty good considering todays used car prices. I also leased pre-pandemic which helped. Sucks that used car interest rates are stupid right now.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've bought out 6 different leases and never had an insurrection of any kind. As others mentioned no dealer needs to be involved, you request a payoff quote and send the check. All that said I find Ally to be the worst leasing company I've dealt with and would not lease with them again.
Thanks for the info! I haven't had any issues with them yet but with that said I haven't completed the lease end process with them yet. We shall see.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably your dealer is trying to get a piece of that sweet sweet residual from your lease in whatever way they can think of.

When you say dealer, who exactly is that? Some new person in the finance department who maybe made a mistake, or some shady practice that could honestly get this dealership in hot water should it become known they are doing this on purpose?

That or they are hoping you they can get you on the lot to do a trade-in.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, they are agreeing to the buy out price of the original residual amount agreed upon when I leased. However, they are making it sound like I am buying it off of them so they want to look it over before selling..... for a fee of course.

The residual amount is pretty good considering todays used car prices. I also leased pre-pandemic which helped. Sucks that used car interest rates are stupid right now.
The dealer isnt who agrees to buyout amount. They have absolutely nothing to do with the lease once you sign the paperwork

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably your dealer is trying to get a piece of that sweet sweet residual from your lease in whatever way they can think of.

When you say dealer, who exactly is that? Some new person in the finance department who maybe made a mistake, or some shady practice that could honestly get this dealership in hot water should it become known they are doing this on purpose?

That or they are hoping you they can get you on the lot to do a trade-in.
I talked to the sales manager. Good possibility they want to deal in some way to buy it for resell or get me in something else. I never thought of that.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I talked to the sales manager. Good possibility they want to deal in some way to buy it for resell or get me in something else. I never thought of that.

Yep thats exactly what they’re are trying to do lol. Either get you to return the lease so they can scoop it up and profit or charge you for a inspection and then bs about what needs addressing hoping to sway you away from buying the truck.

Just give your lender a call and get a payout amount and deal with them directly skip the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread