5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lease end question?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's law, at least in Michigan, that if the vehicle is worth more at the end of the lease, than the stated amount at lease inception, the leasing company has to refund the lessee the difference.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's law, at least in Michigan, that if the vehicle is worth more at the end of the lease, than the stated amount at lease inception, the leasing company has to refund the lessee the difference.
That's good to know. I'll have to check the laws in my state. One question I have though is how is the value of the vehicle determined? Do they use retail value? Private party value? Trade-in value? And do they use NADA, KBB, or some other valuation tool?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think I was dealing directly with the leasing company?
You said VW financial is the leasing company. So if it was at a VW dealer, than by default yes,

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You said VW financial is the leasing company. So if it was at a VW dealer, than by default yes,
You missed your calling as a comedian. I wasn't at a VW dealership. So no, I wasn't dealing with anyone from VW financial.

This is my first time leasing. Which means I'm still learning stuff about it. I appreciate the information that's been posted here.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I am going through the lease buyout process with Chrysler Financial. They told me I deal with the dealer directly to facilitate the process. Dealer also confirmed they give me the payoff invoice to give to my bank to cut the check.
My bank confirmed they do not buy out leases and the dealer would need to submit as I was buying from them.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
I am going through the lease buyout process with Chrysler Financial. They told me I deal with the dealer directly to facilitate the process. Dealer also confirmed they give me the payoff invoice to give to my bank to cut the check.
My bank confirmed they do not buy out leases and the dealer would need to submit as I was buying from them.
Who owns the paper? That's who you negotiate with.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your back sounds ignorant. If you are buying out your lease and want to finance through your bank, then they do buy out leases. It just becomes a used car loan at that point, and the check from your bank needs to be written to the leasing company

6of36

Reaction score
I bought out my last lease in March. I sent a check to the leasing company, and they sent me payoff papers, and the title.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Who owns the paper? That's who you negotiate with.

There is no negotiation, but Chrysler finance owns the note I would assume. Maybe the dealer does in some way shape or form, but I would assume Chrysler does
They said I do not buy it from them and need to deal with the dealer directly to buy out.
The dealer and bank both told me the same thing.
I can only state what all 3 parties of interest advised me.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Your back sounds ignorant. If you are buying out your lease and want to finance through your bank, then they do buy out leases. It just becomes a used car loan at that point, and the check from your bank needs to be written to the leasing company
While I agree they are ignorant, I am sure there is some reason they advised me this.
Maybe it’s some fine line that they can only cut checks to dealers directly? I dunno.

6of36

Reaction score
There is no negotiation, but Chrysler finance owns the note I would assume. Maybe the dealer does in some way shape or form, but I would assume Chrysler does
They said I do not buy it from them and need to deal with the dealer directly to buy out.
The dealer and bank both told me the same thing.
I can only state what all 3 parties of interest advised me.
Chrysler Finance is a separate company, owned by Stellantis, the same way Ally, which used to be GMAC, is owned by GM. As soon as the dealer finishes the paperwork and delivers the vehicle, they should have nothing to do with the vehicle any more. You don;t even have to return for them for warranty work. I find it really odd they want to do it that way, being every other payment was made to the finance company.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chrysler Finance is a separate company, owned by Stellantis
It's not owned by Stellantis, the company was sold off as part of the bankruptcy. It's is now owned by Santander Company. Stellantis Financial USA is company owned by Stellantis and will replace Chrysler Capital I believe in the near future.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

I've never heard of Chrysler Finance, ever. Its called Chrysler Capital now, and correct Cbty, its owned by Santander USA.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I've never heard of Chrysler Finance, ever. Its called Chrysler Capital now, and correct Cbty, its owned by Santander USA.
Sorry. Chrysler Capital .
Here is the same blurb I mentioned above with going to a dealer to buy out

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 29

6of36

Reaction score
Sorry. Chrysler Capital .
Here is the same blurb I mentioned above with going to a dealer to buy out
It says work with your dealer, OR contact Chrysler Capital lease serving team, to begin purchase. If you go through the dealer, they can charge a fee up to the maximum allowed by state law.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
It says work with your dealer, OR contact Chrysler Capital lease serving team, to begin purchase. If you go through the dealer, they can charge a fee up to the maximum allowed by state law.
Either you did not read it closely, or I didn’t

It says work with your dealer, or to call them to suggest a dealer to work with. Either way, you are working with an FCA dealer.
Yes, they can charge, which I already confirmed with my dealer that they do not.

Sdhills

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of buying out my lease from ALLY. All they asked was I have any recalls done. Sent a check for the buy out amount, used docu sign for the paperwork. Now just waiting for the title. Having never leased before, it has been a process, but the discount they offered on a new vehicle was worth it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website says nothing about working with dealer. Even says you can complete a request to finance the buyout through Chrysler Capitol online

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023-075643.png
    Screenshot_20231023-075643.png
    243 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread