5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking rear slider

hoerider

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 crew cab. Christmas day 11;00 pm in Los Angeles, raining cats and dogs, I just discovered a leak in the rear slider window, but not actually from the sliding part, there is also a water stain which I just noticed in the corner of the head liner.

Jim L

Reaction score
You are now part of a growing club with same problem

whetrick1

Reaction score
Take it in have them to pull the headliner down and they will be able to see if the metal frame on the window is cracked. They replaced my3rd brake light 2 times and it still was leaking. They then pulled the headliner down and saw the rear window frame was cracked. And had to order me a new rear window. I guess these windows have a metal frame mounted to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoerider

Reaction score
Take it in have them to pull the headliner down and they will be able to see if the metal frame on the window is cracked. They replaced my3rd brake light 2 times and it still was leaking. They then pulled the headliner down and saw the rear window frame was cracked. And had to order me a new rear window. I guess these windows have a metal frame mounted to them.

Thanks for that. I just spoke to my local deale here in Glendale CA, and he said to bring it in. I put some duct tape around the third light last night and that seemed to cure it, but they wanrt to change my headliner, as there was a stain on it from a preius rain, which i hadn't noticed.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I just spoke to my local deale here in Glendale CA, and he said to bring it in. I put some duct tape around the third light last night and that seemed to cure it, but they wanrt to change my headliner, as there was a stain on it from a preius rain, which i hadn't noticed.

Good to hear that, they put 2 new 3rd brake lights in and didn't cure the problem so they pulled the head liner down and found the rear window frame was cracked. Called dealer and they said it should be in tomorrow lol. I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm a member on the Silverado forum as well, for the 2019 Silverado forum, there is a 51 page thread on rear window slider leak.

For them, the consensus seems to be a crack on the window frame caused by either external flex or missing sealant when being built. For you guys with cracked frames, by chance you off-road and subject the truck to suspension stresses?

That shouldn't be an excuse, these things shouldn't crack because of that, but curious.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I'm a member on the Silverado forum as well, for the 2019 Silverado forum, there is a 51 page thread on rear window slider leak.

For them, the consensus seems to be a crack on the window frame caused by either external flex or missing sealant when being built. For you guys with cracked frames, by chance you off-road and subject the truck to suspension stresses?

That shouldn't be an excuse, these things shouldn't crack because of that, but curious.

Well mine isn't from off roading because mine is a 2wd...

niftyguy239

Reaction score
It's the use of the rear sliding window. There is not enough tolerance between the frame and the window itself. When you use the window, it will cause stress fractures in the plastic and eventually will crack. It's a QC problem with the manufacturer of the rear windows.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's the use of the rear sliding window. There is not enough tolerance between the frame and the window itself. When you use the window, it will cause stress fractures in the plastic and eventually will crack. It's a QC problem with the manufacturer of the rear windows.

Is that for sure? If so, then I will never use the window, since I personally don't like opening it anyways.

On previous F150 Supercabs, 1998 - 2004, there was a weakness on the lower rear section of the front doors where it meets the glass. Opening and closing the window caused stress to the door metal and would cause a small crack. Luckily I found out before mine cracked, so I stopped opening/closing the windows unless absolutely necessary. I would even avoid using them at drive thrus, instead just opening my whole door to pay and pickup my order.

This rear slider is even less an issue since I wouldn't mind a solid window either.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wondering if people who have the issue used the sliding window and how frequently. Maybe a poll would help?

DesertRebel

Reaction score
That's very discouraging. I was leery of having rear slider - and after hearing these reports, my concern was justified.

So far, I don't think I've had leaks - but everytime I read about different problems here, I go check my truck - knock wood there have been no issues (it's only been 9 days though).

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score

I was wondering if that may be the cause myself. My rear window has only been opened once as far as I know and that time was when my salesman showed me. It’d be interesting to get some input from members here who are experiencing the leaking and if they’ve opened their rear window a lot or not at all.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Check for cracks in the top plastic frame on each side of the slider, many of us have cracked frames that need to be replaced

AndreiV

Reaction score
I have no cracks luckily and using my rear window almost daily. But I barely ever used defrost function. May be cold weather + rear window defrost creates stresses that cracks frame.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I have the slider but personally never used them it on either of my Rams. I also would have preferred a solid rear window instead of that peephole they’ve blessed us with.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the slider quit a bit except in winter, only way I can drive with any of the windows down is to at least crack open the back slider to prevent wind buffeting.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the slider quit a bit except in winter, only way I can drive with any of the windows down is to at least crack open the back slider to prevent wind buffeting.
So you have any cracks or leaks?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you have any cracks or leaks?

Mine is not cracked that I can see, I did have had a wet spot on my headliner after heavy rains. I re torqued my third brake light again and so far it has not leaked but it has not sat in a heavy rain since doing so I did take to the car wash and sprayed the pressure washer all around the back window for several minutes and I could not get it to leak.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Mine is not cracked that I can see, I did have had a wet spot on my headliner after heavy rains. I re torqued my third brake light again and so far it has not leaked but it has not sat in a heavy rain since doing so I did take to the car wash and sprayed the pressure washer all around the back window for several minutes and I could not get it to leak.

My rear window slider wasn't cracked either. They told me it was the frame on the window itself that was cracked that was causing the leak. New rear window supposed to be in 01/02/2020. Maybe have my truck back by Saturday lol. It's been at the dealership since 12/17/2019.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear it’s ok.

Users who are viewing this thread