5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last Ram I'll buy

RHut

Reaction score
So now I need my manifold bolts removed/replaced for the 3rd time. First time driver's side but still under extended warranty. Second time passenger side just after extended warranty ended (and they misdiagnosed it as lifter failure). Third time driver's side again-one month after 2 year warranty on the original repair. It's obvious this needs to be a recall item and how can they still not know how to prevent this from happening so often. I love the way my Ram rides and looks. But this issue will probably keep me from ever buying one again (and I'm in the market for a truck for my son now).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand, and they all have problems. Things on the manufacturing front are still a mess- when some manufacturers are doubling their allotments for warranty repairs (Stellantis and Ford are two who’ve done that for the 2023 MY), you know things are bad.

Edit: originally said RAM, meant Stellantis.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So now I need my manifold bolts removed/replaced for the 3rd time. First time driver's side but still under extended warranty. Second time passenger side just after extended warranty ended (and they misdiagnosed it as lifter failure). Third time driver's side again-one month after 2 year warranty on the original repair. It's obvious this needs to be a recall item and how can they still not know how to prevent this from happening so often. I love the way my Ram rides and looks. But this issue will probably keep me from ever buying one again (and I'm in the market for a truck for my son now).
Could just replace the manifolds with shirty headers, now that you are out of warranty. And not worry about cracked manifolds or broken bolts again. Most 5th gens have cracked manifolds though, not broken bolts.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After one repair failed I would be installing shorty headers. Case closed. That will solve the problem that they just cannot seem to fix.

Sure your warranty may have been covering but not dealing with the hassle and being without your truck for multiple failed repair attempts would be money well spent in the long run if you plan on keeping your truck for awhile.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Could just replace the manifolds with shirty headers, now that you are out of warranty. And not worry about cracked manifolds or broken bolts again. Most 5th gens have cracked manifolds though, not broken bolts.
I have seen several people on this forum that have reported broken bolts before. Maybe not as common but still a thing.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
After one repair failed I would be installing shorty headers. Case closed. That will solve the problem that they just cannot seem to fix.

Sure your warranty may have been covering but not dealing with the hassle and being without your truck for multiple failed repair attempts would be money well spent in the long run if you plan on keeping your truck for awhile.
If I’m out of warranty and this happens, that’ll be my move as well

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bolts are not breaking with the tie bars, the manifolds are cracking. Techs claim broken bolts to get paid extra time.
How would replacing broken bolts be more time than replacing the manifolds?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I would think replacing the manifold (and all the crap that goes with doing that) is less work than the same effort (in order to get to said bolt) in addition to getting a frozen in place broken bolt out.

BowDown

Reaction score

He said extra time as in the manifold are cracked AND the bolts broken so you get paid manifold replacement time AND broken bolt time.
My bolts weren't broken, just two cracked manifolds. Service ticket states replaced both manifolds and new hardware, only labor for the manifolds

BowDown

Reaction score
Bolts are not breaking with the tie bars, the manifolds are cracking. Techs claim broken bolts to get paid extra time.

I would think replacing the manifold (and all the crap that goes with doing that) is less work than the same effort (in order to get to said bolt) in addition to getting a frozen in place broken bolt out.

Usually the bolts aren't frozen and can be backed out with a pair of pliers.

Read between the lines, techs are "claiming" broken bolts for extra time. In common speak, its called lying, for more money. Techs get paid by the job, broken bolts = additional work which = more money

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Read between the lines, techs are "claiming" broken bolts for extra time. In common speak, its called lying, for more money. Techs get paid by the job, broken bolts = additional work which = more money
I understand that. I was asking why it's "extra time" to replace broken bolts, when it's doesn't take extra time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see people all the time calling for the manifold bolts to be a recall. This issue will never be a recall. Recalls are for safety issues and a small exhaust leak is not a safety issue.
Not completely true.
"A damaged or faulty exhaust system can cause poisonous fumes to leak into the passenger cabin resulting in serious health and safety issues."
I'm sure if it really was bad and enough complaints something could be done if the exhaust system is not functioning properly and venting under the cab and not at the rear of the vehicle.

Here is a recall from Ford for a similar problem.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see people all the time calling for the manifold bolts to be a recall. This issue will never be a recall. Recalls are for safety issues and a small exhaust leak is not a safety issue.
They won’t consider it a recall until a certain amount of people die from it. And the courts would have to prove the cause of death is directly from the manifold leak.

I think they should at least extend the warranty like they did with the AAD. That probably won’t happen either.

Users who are viewing this thread