5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie vs Limited Longhorn exterior (please be kind)

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I've been looking at these things since Q420 and have a massive headache. I know the Laramie that I want, but with all of the supply chain issues it is a pink unicorn.

Limited Longhorn still has the must have features - adaptive cruise, etc - and might be doable.

I know the interior has more bling than a Lexus, and likely some other things I can Google. But I can't figure out what it is about the exterior that I hate. I think it is the chrome grill, the body color bump does help quite a bit.

What else am I missing? I noticed chrome window trim, and the standard 20 inch wheels don't do it for me.

My current truck is 20 years old, at that time there were 909823493 billet grill inserts available. Does that market still exist? Is there a tasteful aftermarket grill upgrade? If I don't want to drop 2K on the 22 inch OEM wheel upgrade, I'd imagine there is a decent market at the salvage yards, members doing upgrades, etc? I did read a thread about someone doing a grill retrofit.

Any other differences that I should be aware of?

I promise I Googled before posting, but probably not as much as I should have. This first world problem has been exhausting.

billfraley

Reaction score
One thing you did not mention is the headlights. Only the longhorn and limited have the adaptive headlights that turn to match your trajectory as you go through curves and sharp turns. This is also what makes the front design different from the other models. You can get LED headlights on other models, just not top level headlights.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking at these things since Q420 and have a massive headache. I know the Laramie that I want, but with all of the supply chain issues it is a pink unicorn.

Limited Longhorn still has the must have features - adaptive cruise, etc - and might be doable.

I know the interior has more bling than a Lexus, and likely some other things I can Google. But I can't figure out what it is about the exterior that I hate. I think it is the chrome grill, the body color bump does help quite a bit.

What else am I missing? I noticed chrome window trim, and the standard 20 inch wheels don't do it for me.

My current truck is 20 years old, at that time there were 909823493 billet grill inserts available. Does that market still exist? Is there a tasteful aftermarket grill upgrade? If I don't want to drop 2K on the 22 inch OEM wheel upgrade, I'd imagine there is a decent market at the salvage yards, members doing upgrades, etc? I did read a thread about someone doing a grill retrofit.

Any other differences that I should be aware of?

I promise I Googled before posting, but probably not as much as I should have. This first world problem has been exhausting.
Could your reaction be body color dependent? On some of the light colors I don't notice the difference that much between the Laramie. Oddly, I do find the Laramie grill more attractive (but then again I'd like to have the chrome side moldings from the Limited on my Laramie). The chrome window trim seems to pull my eyes to it immediately.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047848 miles.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing you did not mention is the headlights. Only the longhorn and limited have the adaptive headlights that turn to match your trajectory as you go through curves and sharp turns. This is also what makes the front design different from the other models. You can get LED headlights on other models, just not top level headlights.

I hope this is a good time to ask this?
I'm confused on the differences of LED.

yKsyzeX.png

jk998mv.png
os2cG84.png

So you get incandescent fogs on the low trims and optional LEDs on big horn and standard LEDs on everything else.

Then for headlights, that's when I get confused. There's
  1. Halogen
  2. Mid-Level LED
  3. Full LED

Is the only difference between Mid-Level LED & Premium LED the cornering function where it moves with the steering wheel or is there something else like more output, sharper, etc?

Laramie Front:
GT0768C_INSTALLED-1.jpg

Limited Front:
images

Attachments

• 1616769993966.jpeg
    1616769993966.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 43

HAL9001

Reaction score
Do a deep dive search of all the in-stock 1500's in your area. I was in the same boat as you, I wanted to special order a Laramie but that would take months and there were no good deals on ordered vehicles. So, I started looking at what was in-stock and then what was dealer-ordered and coming in.

I found a 2021 Limited Night Edition that was only a few weeks away from delivery. It blew away the Laramie in looks and features. I was able to get it on sale with a great deal for not much more than it would have cost me to order the Laramie. I'm so glad I went this route instead of ordering.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Longhorn grille, but I recall at least a couple of members toning down the chrome.

I can't find it right now, but one member with a Delmonico Red Longhorn did a beautiful partial paint match (painted the grille and headlight surrounds, leaving the grille bars chrome). It looked factory...really nice.

This one goes to the extreme (full blackout).

Note: I'm NOT saying that buying a Longhorn and then doing all of this work is cheaper than a Laramie :)

billfraley

Reaction score
Honestly I think you have it mostly right. Keep in mind that the Limited and Longhorn are Bi LED. This provides better coverage area in theory.

In my opinion, the Longhorn and Limited lights have the best function and output. I also think the LED running and auxiliary lights are nicer on the Bi LED model.

Either LED option is far superior to the Halogen.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Could your reaction be body color dependent? On some of the light colors I don't notice the difference that much between the Laramie. Oddly, I do find the Laramie grill more attractive (but then again I'd like to have the chrome side moldings from the Limited on my Laramie). The chrome window trim seems to pull my eyes to it immediately.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047848 miles.
I suppose so. I really would like to see two side-by-side. Is the grill a different design as well as chrome? Besides the chrome window molding, is there another cosmetic difference on the exterior?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
skip it...get the Rebel for looks :cool: for me Laramie was the trim I was going for, just looked better to me in the grill but couldn't find any late last year. Love my Rebel and has the adaptive headlights...which I didn't know at the time and thought I had a short somewhere. Story for another day. LOL!

Sportznut

Reaction score
Might be able to help you out.

I like some chrome but my Laramie chrome package was overkill.

See the pic below. I'm going to dial back the chrome a little bit at a time until I have a classy look versus an old man look. Even though I'm an old man!

1. First I'm going to paint my running boards black. This makes the truck look taller and makes the running boards blend into the background. See the photoshopped difference below.

2. Will also debadge all chrome emblems except the large one on the tailgate.

3. Next if needed I will paint my chrome hood emblems. black.

4. If I still think I need to dial the chrome back even more, I will paint or buy black mirror covers.

5. Last but not least if I still have too much chrome I will look into eliminating the trim around the windows.

I don't like the blacked out look, everybody's got it these days, but I also don't like an excessive use of chrome. I'm hoping to achieve a good balance.

I do like chrome bumpers.

Good Luck!
2019 Ram Post Level wSS.jpg 2019 RAM Post Level .jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 2019 RAM Post Level .jpg
    2019 RAM Post Level .jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
skip it...get the Rebel for looks :cool: for me Laramie was the trim I was going for, just looked better to me in the grill but couldn't find any late last year. Love my Rebel and has the adaptive headlights...which I didn't know at the time and thought I had a short somewhere. Story for another day. LOL!

Rebels don't have adaptive headlights, only Limited and Longhorns

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suppose so. I really would like to see two side-by-side. Is the grill a different design as well as chrome? Besides the chrome window molding, is there another cosmetic difference on the exterior?
The Limited has a slotted grill with a dark center accent. The Laramies have a louvered grill. There's chrome side moldings and chrome tailgate molding as well on the Limiteds.

Regards,
Dusty

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not only are they adaptive, they are also projector LEDs vs reflector LEDs in the Laramie/Rebel/etc. Projectors have better output than reflectors every time (everything else being equal).

I hope this is a good time to ask this? I'm confused on the differences of LED.
So you get incandescent fogs on the low trims and optional LEDs on big horn and standard LEDs on everything else.

Then for headlights, that's when I get confused. There's
  1. Halogen
  2. Mid-Level LED
  3. Full LED
Halogen = Halogen Reflector = Bighorn and lower trims.
Mid-Level LED = LED Reflector = Laramie/Rebel trims, option on Bighorn.
Full LED = LED Adaptive Projector = Longhorn and higher trims, including TRX.

Honestly I think you have it mostly right. Keep in mind that the Limited and Longhorn are Bi LED. This provides better coverage area in theory.
In my opinion, the Longhorn and Limited lights have the best function and output. I also think the LED running and auxiliary lights are nicer on the Bi LED model.
Either LED option is far superior to the Halogen.
Agreed. So does the IIHS, which rated the Longhorn/Limited lights as the best pickup headlights out there right now (pending testing of the new 2021 F-150 projector LEDs on their higher trims).

Rebels don't have adaptive headlights, only Limited and Longhorns

I'm sure he just misspoke and meant LEDs, but you are correct, the reflector LED housings are not adaptive.

Rexx

Reaction score
Love my Rebel and has the adaptive headlights...which I didn't know at the time and thought I had a short somewhere. Story for another day. LOL!
I’m guessing you might be talking about the auto-high beams?

That is not the same feature as adaptive headlights.

I agree the Rebel is a sharp looking truck, but until they can have vented seats as an option, I would not buy one.

Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m guessing you might be talking about the auto-high beams?

That is not the same feature as adaptive headlights.

I agree the Rebel is a sharp looking truck, but until they can have vented seats as an option, I would not buy one.
Not the auto high beams - I do not have that. I thought they were referencing the headlights turning 'on' brighter when turning. That's my bad still learning. I think the 2021 has the vented seats.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like that the Longhorn grille is the only grille available that “isn’t pointing” to the RAM letters in the middle

93CB7EFC-3CAE-40AA-BCE9-04520B58E360.png

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought they were referencing the headlights turning 'on' brighter when turning.

They don’t “turn on brighter”. They physically turn/rotate in the direction of the steering wheel to illuminate the road as it curves

52F44E08-10B9-45FD-AB46-A6355594DC2C.png

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not the auto high beams - I do not have that. I thought they were referencing the headlights turning 'on' brighter when turning. That's my bad still learning. I think the 2021 has the vented seats.
Do you mean when the fog light comes on during a turn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online