5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie vs Limited Longhorn exterior (please be kind)

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so first off, regarding headlights, There are technically 4 variations:

Base Lights (Halogens) : Standard on the Tradesman, HFE's, and Big Horn
Premium Mid-Trim Led Lights (LED Reflectors) : Optional on the Big Horn, Standard on the Laramie and Rebel
Premium Mid-Trim Led Lights (LED Reflectors) [With Auto High Beam Function]: Optional on the Laramie
Full LED Adaptive Lights with Signature Lighting (LED Projectors): Standard on the Limited Longhorn [Formerly known as the Laramie Longhorn, and most people just call it a Longhorn, as I will] and Limited.

Any of the above ^ lights may have a black surround bezel in the light housings, which denote either the formerly known Black Appearance Group or current Night Edition on multiple trims.

Adaptive Lights work by "bending" the light around corners or with oncoming vehicles. They 'adapt' to the environment. More advanced versions turn off individual 'bulbs' or use laser technology.

Yes Fog Lights act as Cornering Lamps at slow speeds, and will turn on when turning the wheel or having an indicator on when the Lights are On or On in the Auto Position.

Longhorns have no Night Edition FYI.

Laramie's can have Chrome Day Light Moldings, aka window surrounds, but that's only if you get the optional Chrome Appearance Group. Longhorns have it standard.

Rebels do not have ventilated seats optional or standard, even for 2021; Laramie's and Up do have them standard for the 1500 minus the Rebel obvi. Funny Enough the Laramie 2500 doesn't have it standard, have to step it up to the Level 1 for the 2500.

Also, another big difference other than lights is Laramie's don't have full real leather, it's partially trimmed. Longhorn's and Limited's have real full leather.

Other than lights, packaging, interior style, and more standard features; there isn't all that much different from a Laramie or Longhorn. If you go past $60k MSRP on a Laramie, just get a Longhorn at that point, unless you want a specific color, or the Night or Sport Package.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Premium Mid-Trim Led Lights (LED Reflectors) : Optional on the Big Horn, Standard on the Laramie and Rebel
Premium Mid-Trim Led Lights (LED Reflectors) [With Auto High Beam Function]: Optional on the Laramie
Full LED Adaptive Lights with Signature Lighting (LED Projectors): Standard on the Limited Longhorn [Formerly known as the Laramie Longhorn, and most people just call it a Longhorn, as I will] and Limited.

Agree with most of your post here, but will disagree a little on the two mid-trim 4 variations piece. The only difference I'm aware of between them is the sensor/electronics (and computer programming) for the auto-high beam function. The headlight housings themselves are identical, I'm pretty sure. Glancing at part numbers, I'm seeing different ones for chrome vs black housings, but no mention of different part #s for auto-high beam vs non-auto-high beam.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree with most of your post here, but will disagree a little on the two mid-trim 4 variations piece. The only difference I'm aware of between them is the sensor/electronics (and computer programming) for the auto-high beam function. The headlight housings themselves are identical, I'm pretty sure. Glancing at part numbers, I'm seeing different ones for chrome vs black housings, but no mention of different part #s for auto-high beam vs non-auto-high beam.
The lights themselves look identical, yeah.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Adaptive headlights physically turn the housing, they don't bend light or turn off LED emitters. On Longhorns and Limiteds, the housing actually turns a total of 22° depending on the direction of travel

CPenn1086

Reaction score
The projector turns, hence "bending" the light as Royalist stated. Pretty awesome feature actually and makes more of a difference then one would think. Also - the sole fact that the Limited/Longhorn offers a projector based headlight is a huge upgrade in itself. Reflectors will never outperform a projector.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Any of the above ^ lights may have a black surround bezel in the light housings, which denote either the formerly known Black Appearance Group or current Night Edition on multiple trims.

Adaptive Lights work by "bending" the light around corners or with oncoming vehicles. They 'adapt' to the environment. More advanced versions turn off individual 'bulbs' or use laser technology.

Yes Fog Lights act as Cornering Lamps at slow speeds, and will turn on when turning the wheel or having an indicator on when the Lights are On or On in the Auto Position.

Longhorns have no Night Edition FYI.

Laramie's can have Chrome Day Light Moldings, aka window surrounds, but that's only if you get the optional Chrome Appearance Group. Longhorns have it standard.

Rebels do not have ventilated seats optional or standard, even for 2021; Laramie's and Up do have them standard for the 1500 minus the Rebel obvi. Funny Enough the Laramie 2500 doesn't have it standard, have to step it up to the Level 1 for the 2500.

Also, another big difference other than lights is Laramie's don't have full real leather, it's partially trimmed. Longhorn's and Limited's have real full leather.

Other than lights, packaging, interior style, and more standard features; there isn't all that much different from a Laramie or Longhorn. If you go past $60k MSRP on a Laramie, just get a Longhorn at that point, unless you want a specific color, or the Night or Sport Package.

Thank You but are the limited lights stronger/brighter/sharper or is the only improvement the cornering & nicer visually appealing look (style only)? Or are they actually better lights?

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank You but are the limited lights stronger/brighter/sharper or is the only improvement the cornering & nicer visually appealing look (style only)? Or are they actually better lights?
No they are legitimately better lights, it's the reason why the truck got an IIHS Top Safety Pick + Award, no other truck has it. Sadly, it was removed for 2021 because now the qualification requires all lights of the truck have a 'good' rating, not just the top tier ones on the longhorn and limited. Just know the first half of 2019 Limited and Longhorn models (aka built in the first half of 2018), do not meet that qualification at all; only second half of 2018 built 2019 models, as well as 2020 models have that rating. They had a fix for them. Again 2021 lights are the same, they just don't meet the qualification because the IIHS standards were changed, even tho they are the exact same light. Regardless, yes if you get the Limited or Longhorn lights, they will be brighter, smarter, and look cooler; not to mention less blinding to other drivers compared to the Mid-Tier LED's. I have owned those mid-tier lights on a '19 Laramie previously and currently own a '21 Limited.

BowDown

Reaction score
I actually like the shape and styling of the LED Laramie lights but the limited/longhorns are far better.
I had a Laramie with LEDs for a week and I see a difference on my truck.
I also had a full Morimoto HID projector headlights on my previous truck, the cutoff was sharper on it but that's it, the limited lights are better in every other way

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Might be able to help you out.

I like some chrome but my Laramie chrome package was overkill.

See the pic below. I'm going to dial back the chrome a little bit at a time until I have a classy look versus an old man look. Even though I'm an old man!

1. First I'm going to paint my running boards black. This makes the truck look taller and makes the running boards blend into the background. See the photoshopped difference below.

2. Will also debadge all chrome emblems except the large one on the tailgate.

3. Next if needed I will paint my chrome hood emblems. black.

4. If I still think I need to dial the chrome back even more, I will paint or buy black mirror covers.

5. Last but not least if I still have too much chrome I will look into eliminating the trim around the windows.

I don't like the blacked out look, everybody's got it these days, but I also don't like an excessive use of chrome. I'm hoping to achieve a good balance.

I do like chrome bumpers.

Good Luck!
View attachment 87101 View attachment 87102

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I guess I must be old because I think your truck looks fantastic just the way it is ! lol

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 10th Edition Longhorn with pretty much every option (note standard equipment replaced below with many options, transmission, rear axle, heads up display,RamBo, MFT etc. and came with 22” wheels. Ride is close to a luxury sedan on highway. Interior is cavernous with 12” center display, and very comfortable and quiet.

RAM 1500 LONGHORN CREW CAB 4X4
Exterior Color: Ivory White Tri–Coat Pearl–Coat Exterior Paint
Interior Color: Mountain Brown Interior Color
Interior: Premium Leather Bucket Seats
Engine: 5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Transmission: 8–Speed Automatic 8HP75 Transmission

STANDARD EQUIPMENT (UNLESS REPLACED BY OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT)FUNCTIONAL/SAFETY FEATURES

Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags Supplemental Front Seat–Mounted Side Air Bags Supplemental Side–Curtain Front and Rear Air Bags ParkSense® Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus Advanced Brake–AssistParkView® Rear Back–Up Camera Conventional Differential Rear Axle3.21 Rear Axle Ratio Class IV Receiver–Hitch 7–Pin Wiring Harness Dampened Tailgate Active Front Air–Dams Power Tailgate–Release Spray–In Bedliner by Mopar® Rain–Sensitive Windshield Wipers Tire–Fill Alert INTERIOR FEATURESUconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4–Inch Display Apple CarPlay® Google Android Auto™ 7.0–Inch TFT Color Display–Cluster Full Function Media Hub with 2–USB Plus Aux Port 115–Volt Auxiliary Power–Outlet 9 Amplified Speakers with SubwooferA/C with Dual–Zone Auto Temperature Control Wood / Leather–Wrapped Steering Wheel

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment) Ivory White
Tri–Coat Pearl–Coat Exterior Paint
$500Customer Preferred Package 27K
Protection Group
$395Front Suspension Skid–Plate
Fuel Tank Skid–Plate
Steering Gear Skid–Plate
Transfer–Case Skid–Plate
Technology Group
$1,095Head–Up Display
Rear–View Auto–Dimming Digital Display Mirror
LED Center High–Mounted Stop Lamp
Body–Color Bumper Group
$195Advanced Safety Group
$1,695Pedestrian Emergency Braking
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go
Lane Keep Assist
Parallel and Perpendicular Park–Assist with Stop
Surround–View Camera
Bed Utility Group
$545Center–Mounted Deployable–Bed Step by Mopar®
4 Adjustable Cargo Tie–Down Hooks by Mopar®
10th–Anniversary Limited Longhorn Edition
$1,220Premium Leather Bucket Seats
10th Anniversary Instrument Cluster Theme
Multi–Function Tailgate
Longhorn Level 1 Equipment Group
$3,895Uconnect® 12.0–Inch Display with Navigation
SiriusXM® with 360L
19 Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection
Power Running–Boards
Ventilated Rear Seats
Wireless Charging–Pad
Tri–Fold Tonneau Cover
$5503.92 Rear Axle Ratio
$95Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle
$4955.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine
$1,995Dual–Pane Panoramic Sunroof
$1,49533–Gallon Fuel Tank
$4454–Corner Air–Suspension
$1,80522–Inch x 9.0–Inch Polish/Painted Wheels w/ Inserts $2,095285/45R22XL BSW All–Season Tires
RamBox® Cargo Management System
$995Exterior 115V AC Outlet
Trailer Brake–Controller $295

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like that the Longhorn grille is the only grille available that “isn’t pointing” to the RAM letters in the middle

View attachment 87137
Accept for the headlights, the grill in the photo looks exactly like the one on my '19 Laramie.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047907 miles.

BowDown

Reaction score
Accept for the headlights, the grill in the photo looks exactly like the one on my '19 Laramie.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047907 miles.

Not exactly
image-1.jpg
images

I think I like the Liniteds grill the best though

20200716_181108.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No they are legitimately better lights, it's the reason why the truck got an IIHS Top Safety Pick + Award, no other truck has it. Sadly, it was removed for 2021 because now the qualification requires all lights of the truck have a 'good' rating, not just the top tier ones on the longhorn and limited. Just know the first half of 2019 Limited and Longhorn models (aka built in the first half of 2018), do not meet that qualification at all; only second half of 2018 built 2019 models, as well as 2020 models have that rating. They had a fix for them. Again 2021 lights are the same, they just don't meet the qualification because the IIHS standards were changed, even tho they are the exact same light. Regardless, yes if you get the Limited or Longhorn lights, they will be brighter, smarter, and look cooler; not to mention less blinding to other drivers compared to the Mid-Tier LED's. I have owned those mid-tier lights on a '19 Laramie previously and currently own a '21 Limited.
FYI - the projector LEDs on the early models (2019s built in 2018) actually outperform the “fixed” version in terms of output (per the IIHS report). The problem is that they create glare for oncoming drivers in a curve. So FCA blocked off a bit of light at the edge of the lens, slightly reducing output but successfully controlling glare. The bottom line is that all of the projectors (including the early ones through the 2021s) have very nice output.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Might be able to help you out.

I like some chrome but my Laramie chrome package was overkill.

See the pic below. I'm going to dial back the chrome a little bit at a time until I have a classy look versus an old man look. Even though I'm an old man!

1. First I'm going to paint my running boards black. This makes the truck look taller and makes the running boards blend into the background. See the photoshopped difference below.

2. Will also debadge all chrome emblems except the large one on the tailgate.

3. Next if needed I will paint my chrome hood emblems. black.

4. If I still think I need to dial the chrome back even more, I will paint or buy black mirror covers.

5. Last but not least if I still have too much chrome I will look into eliminating the trim around the windows.

I don't like the blacked out look, everybody's got it these days, but I also don't like an excessive use of chrome. I'm hoping to achieve a good balance.

I do like chrome bumpers.

Good Luck!
View attachment 87101 View attachment 87102

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
If I pull the trigger we will be in touch! I’m thinking perhaps a vinyl kit.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI - the projector LEDs on the early models (2019s built in 2018) actually outperform the “fixed” version in terms of output (per the IIHS report). The problem is that they create glare for oncoming drivers in a curve. So FCA blocked off a bit of light at the edge of the lens, slightly reducing output but successfully controlling glare. The bottom line is that all of the projectors (including the early ones through the 2021s) have very nice output.
Yeah I'm just saying they don't meet the qualification because its blinding, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread