5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie seat issue

broomsky06

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie that I bought in October and has just about 2k miles on it. I have had an issue since about 500 miles but of course didn't get it looked at until I had the truck for about a month.

To preface this post, I broke my tailbone a few years ago so I don't carry anything in my back pockets ever. I normally always have sweatpants on so don't even have pockets to put in my back pockets. I'm 6'5 and 190lbs so while I'm tall I'm not putting extra weight on the leather. However, I have this ripple that is constantly there and looks worse when the seat is warm, but when it's cold it does ease up a bit. It's an eyesore and after 4 weeks of waiting- Chrysler denied the claim for a warranty replacement saying "the damage was caused by an outside source and not covered by warranty".

I sent a message to @RamCares but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone else have this issue with their Laramie with the ventilated seats? I tried doing a search but just see issues with older models. I even went so much as looking at Autotrader for used 2020/2021 Laramies and the few that have some miles on them don't have photos of the driver's seat bottom so I don't have comparison.

Any advice is helpful. We had a similar issue with my wife's Pathfinder and using a heatgun worked until you sat on it and then would come right back. Don't want to try it yet until after I have exhausted all other options.

Lastly, love the truck and this small issue doesn't make me dislike the vehicle, I'm just very observant and it drives me crazy everytime I get in the truck and the fact Chrysler denied the claim with "caused by an outside source" just baffles me. PXL_20220111_031459852.jpg PXL_20220111_031449409.jpg PXL_20220111_031441836.jpg PXL_20220111_031435397.jpg PXL_20220111_031430145.jpg

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine has it, not quite that bad at 5k.

They will just claim it as wear and tear so I doesnt really bother me

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's bound to happen. I have one right in the middle lol. The material has to be able to stretch a bit, otherwise it will tear.

I had leather seats done in place of stock cloth ones for my Cherokee years back. Looked amazing, material was very high quality, but it was so tight over the seats that it *didn't* stretch (much) and eventually started to tear because of it.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Damage caused by an outside source? How did they come to this conclusion? Stellantis could do themselves some good by not throwing out these kinds of lame diagnoses. It's no wonder they have such a perceived bad reputation. You could try taking it to another dealership. Corporate relies on the opinions of service managers on the front line when making these determinations. Maybe @RamCares can help out.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this seems like a crappy situation…

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damage caused by an outside source? How did they come to this conclusion? Stellantis could do themselves some good by not throwing out these kinds of lame diagnoses. It's no wonder they have such a perceived bad reputation. You could try taking it to another dealership. Corporate relies on the opinions of service managers on the front line when making these determinations. Maybe @RamCares can help out.
Yeah, I honestly think it's less about Ram/Stellantis themselves and more about the individual dealerships. I have several family members in Michigan who are automotive enthusiasts and have each purchased (and therefore had serviced) more vehicles than your average buyer. One of them complained about one Chevy dealership, but other than that, none of them have had any complaints about any Ford, GM/Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Cadillac, etc. dealers. However, they all have at least one horror story from a CDJR dealership (either purchase, service, or both).

I've bought vehicles from 3 different CDJR dealers. First experience was okay. Second was a nightmare. Third and most recent (for my Ram) was the best experience I've ever had buying a vehicle. So, went to three different dealerships, got three completely different experiences. I've had service from 5 different CDJR dealerships and the range is pretty much the same. One was awful, two were great, other two were just okay. So there seems to be a consistent higher level of quality service from most other dealerships, whereas CDJR appears to stand out as being all over the place, for whatever reason.

RamCares

Reaction score
Thank you for your tag. We are currently working with the OP.

Rob
Ram Cares

Klicht87

Reaction score
Mine looks like that too. I had a similar issue before with a new Subaru a few years ago. That Subaru dealer made some excuse that if they replaced it, it would probably look worse. You should try a new dealer if you are really concerned but as you saw above, we all have similar issues. Ram should have sewn that section a little bit tighter because it's stretched out a bit.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie that I bought in October and has just about 2k miles on it. I have had an issue since about 500 miles but of course didn't get it looked at until I had the truck for about a month.

To preface this post, I broke my tailbone a few years ago so I don't carry anything in my back pockets ever. I normally always have sweatpants on so don't even have pockets to put in my back pockets. I'm 6'5 and 190lbs so while I'm tall I'm not putting extra weight on the leather. However, I have this ripple that is constantly there and looks worse when the seat is warm, but when it's cold it does ease up a bit. It's an eyesore and after 4 weeks of waiting- Chrysler denied the claim for a warranty replacement saying "the damage was caused by an outside source and not covered by warranty".

I sent a message to @RamCares but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone else have this issue with their Laramie with the ventilated seats? I tried doing a search but just see issues with older models. I even went so much as looking at Autotrader for used 2020/2021 Laramies and the few that have some miles on them don't have photos of the driver's seat bottom so I don't have comparison.

Any advice is helpful. We had a similar issue with my wife's Pathfinder and using a heatgun worked until you sat on it and then would come right back. Don't want to try it yet until after I have exhausted all other options.

Lastly, love the truck and this small issue doesn't make me dislike the vehicle, I'm just very observant and it drives me crazy everytime I get in the truck and the fact Chrysler denied the claim with "caused by an outside source" just baffles me. View attachment 116607 View attachment 116608 View attachment 116609 View attachment 116610 View attachment 116611
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

broomsky06

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. @RamCares did reach out and I said someone would reach out in 1-2 days (which hasn't happened yet lol) I'm just waiting for them to reach out with next steps..hopefully they do soon. Luckily, the dealer took photos of my odometer when I first took it in since I've added about 1500 miles to it since then.

I did find two Laramies in town that were just traded and I peeked in both after the dealership closed and both had pretty bad rippling probably 3x as bad as mine. One had 19k miles and the other had 17k miles so maybe it's a material flaw on the Laramies.

If they don't end up helping me out with a replacement I'll just suck it up to poor design, but does suck for a $63k truck to wear this quick. Even our Honda Odyssey we just got with 15k miles the seats are perfect and Hondas are notorious for leather (or whatever leather-like material it is) wrinkles/ripples pretty early on.

I can only imagine what my seat would look like if I actually sat on a wallet or phone lol. I guess it's just easy for Chrysler to deny with a generic reason.

I'll keep everyone posted if someone actually does reach back out now that I have a case number.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It’s not wear, it’s how it’s designed. If the leather isn’t stretched skin tight then it has a less chance of ripping down the road

Motorcycles companies have learned the same thing and have started doing this also.

Also looked at my passenger seat, which is rarely used and it shows the same type of crease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not wear, it’s how it’s designed. If the leather isn’t stretched skin tight then it has a less chance of ripping down the road

Motorcycles companies have learned the same thing and have started doing this also.

Also looked at my passenger seat, which is rarely used and it shows the same type of crease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had leather seats (Katzkin) done on my Cherokee years back. Looked awesome but it was put on too tight and within about 2 years the sides of the bottom piece were tearing.

broomsky06

Reaction score
Threads like this make me realize that I don't have OCD like I thought I did. 🤣

Why would your wallet in your back pocket make this any worse? People carry phones in their back pockets while driving their trucks? 🤔

Yeah I have OCD apparently.. not sure why anyone would but have to assume that's what Chrysler was getting at as an outside source caused the issue...

broomsky06

Reaction score
I keep clicking through the photos trying to figure out whats wrong with the seat?? Mine looks the same…

The back part of the seat bottom has peaks in the seat forming. If you look at it compared to the part directly in front you can see how the part in front is stretched tighter and lays perfectly flat. The part towards the back is loose and causes peaks to form. I only have a few thousand miles on the truck so I was curious if it was just mine or if other have this as I expect it to just get worse as mileage is added.

Again, apparently I have OCD and just overly picky but compared to the other seats and even the backseats where I have two carseats sitting those are perfectly flat without any indentions or peaks. I guess others have the same issue and it's just bothersome to me lol.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The back part of the seat bottom has peaks in the seat forming. If you look at it compared to the part directly in front you can see how the part in front is stretched tighter and lays perfectly flat. The part towards the back is loose and causes peaks to form. I only have a few thousand miles on the truck so I was curious if it was just mine or if other have this as I expect it to just get worse as mileage is added.

Again, apparently I have OCD and just overly picky but compared to the other seats and even the backseats where I have two carseats sitting those are perfectly flat without any indentions or peaks. I guess others have the same issue and it's just bothersome to me lol.
Both of my 5th rams have had this happen within the first 500 or so miles. Most of my vehicles with leather seats have done this also. Either I’m too fat, have farts that deteriorate leather, or that’s normal.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Back seat on my 19 Laramie has the same issue, I thought that maybe the previous owner had a baby seat on there but it’s exactly the same as your pics.

Users who are viewing this thread