5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lane keep assist on 2021

hajekd

Reaction score
Hi RAMers,

I am about to buy 2021 Ram 1500 Limited and wondering how good is the lane keep assist. Its my first truck and I am coming from SUV where this feature was quite good and I get used to it. You could use it on highways with ACC on and it can keep you in the center of the lane. I have read this feature is not good on Rams, but cant find any good video on youtube how good/bad it is. Maybe 2021 has it updated?

Whats your experience with it? Can it keep you in the center of the lane or its bouncing from side to side when you cross the lane markings.

Thx
Dave

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine works fine, no "bouncing", but I don't try to use it like a self driving car.
Mine works, but could be just a tad bit tighter for me. Also the CommaAI Kit
is in the beta stage of development for the RAM, so "Self" Driving is coming.

Malodave

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi RAMers,

I am about to buy 2021 Ram 1500 Limited and wondering how good is the lane keep assist. Its my first truck and I am coming from SUV where this feature was quite good and I get used to it. You could use it on highways with ACC on and it can keep you in the center of the lane. I have read this feature is not good on Rams, but cant find any good video on youtube how good/bad it is. Maybe 2021 has it updated?

Whats your experience with it? Can it keep you in the center of the lane or its bouncing from side to side when you cross the lane markings.

Thx
Dave
It’s not that it’s not good on the ram trucks, it’s that the feature on ram trucks is not designed to do what you are describing. Lane keep assist is designed to give you haptic feedback on the wheel AFTER you started to drift. Lane centering with ACC like you are describing from your previous vehicle would be the equivalent of Active Driver Assist, which would be found on the Jeep Grand Cherokee L.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not that it’s not good on the ram trucks, it’s that the feature on ram trucks is not designed to do what you are describing. Lane keep assist is designed to give you haptic feedback on the wheel AFTER you started to drift. Lane centering with ACC like you are describing from your previous vehicle would be the equivalent of Active Driver Assist, which would be found on the Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
Haptic feedback? Is that new for 2021? Hadn't heard of that. my 2019 just steers back towards the center with no haptic...but can and does get into a "bouncing" mode if you let it. I would say it's a mediocre system, though I love the ACC.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haptic feedback? Is that new for 2021? Hadn't heard of that. my 2019 just steers back towards the center with no haptic...but can and does get into a "bouncing" mode if you let it. I would say it's a mediocre system, though I love the ACC.
Sorry, that’s the actual service manual description. Would “vibrating torque from the steering torque overlay” sound better

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep mine turned off. Tries to move the truck too much for my liking. If you don't use your signal when changing lanes, it jerks the truck back over. More of a hazard in my opinion for me personally than a useful safety feature.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep mine turned off. Tries to move the truck too much for my liking. If you don't use your signal when changing lanes, it jerks the truck back over. More of a hazard in my opinion for me personally than a useful safety feature.
Sorry to say but I sincerely don’t appreciate drivers who don’t use there signal to change lanes, it must be an American thing, I see a lot of it when travelling to go to Florida. There are more distractions in newer vehicles, with the navigation, the music selections…. and so many people texting while driving, it only takes one time to cross the center line and possibly kill yourself and take others with you. So please use your signal, like you said, it eliminates the lane keep for a moment.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi RAMers,

Thx
Dave
I have the lane keep assist in my Rebel and in my Jeep Cherokee, so the truck is wider therefore you will feel the lane keep assisting more often than with a narrower vehicle. The system works fine as long as the lines or a distinct barrier is visible to the system. Remember it is only an “assist” and not self driving, it will warn you to “place your hands on the steering wheel” if it does not sense any feedback on you part.
The system does not work in the winter when the snow covers the lines.
ACC is another feature that adds safety, the system will apply the brakes to keep the distance from the vehicle ahead. I use it all the time.
If everybody kept the safety features on, all the time, it only take a few seconds to get distracted and cause an accident, it can save an accident and lives.

jastevenson

Reaction score
It’s lane keep assist, not lane centering. It will not keep you in the center like your suv. It will bounce between the lines.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Excuse the lecture, but the solution is presented in your problem statement: use your turn signals. They are a safety feature and not using them is a hazard. This is so obvious it shouldn’t need to be stated, but apparently, it does.

My impression on lane keep assist: I haven’t noticed any bouncing from left to right. Instead, I just notice a little resistance in the wheel if I start to drift. I would not describe it as a vibration as was mentioned elsewhere. I’m ambivalent about the feature. It’s neither annoying nor a remarkable feature.

Adaptice cruise control (part of the same package) on the other hand, that’s been great. My new truck is the first vehicle I’ve had with that feature, and I miss it when driving my wife’s car.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine works, but could be just a tad bit tighter for me. Also the CommaAI Kit
is in the beta stage of development for the RAM, so "Self" Driving is coming.

Malodave
I have the Comma AI, and it is not nor should it be called "self driving". It is nothing more than an advanced adaptive cruise control and advanced lane keep. Yes, it will keep you centered in the lane with no input from the driver, change lanes with minimal input from the driver, and keep you from running into the vehicle ahead of you. That being said, if sh!t goes wrong in front of you, or an unusual event takes place, it probably will not know what to do and may very well do the wrong thing. Stay alert. It will work great on long drives to possibly reduce fatigue, but you still have to keep your hands, feet, and mind ready to take over. It is a level 2 system which is only a step above what we already have in many modern vehicles, and a horse is better at "self driving" at present.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest, the LaneSense (aka Active Lane Assist, Lake Keep) scares me. A few weeks ago while driving my wife's Navigator, I was driving in the left lane (interstate) and an 18-wheeler changed lanes unexpectedly right on top of me. I immediately braked and swerved left onto the shoulder, but had to "fight" the steering wheel for a fraction of a second because I didn't use my blinker. After that, I turned off the Lane Assist - and I won't turn it back on.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, that’s the actual service manual description. Would “vibrating torque from the steering torque overlay” sound better
I'm not taking issue with the term...I'm asking if the 2020+ models with LKA actually provide haptic feedback, as my 2019 does not...it simply corrects the steering. I've driven several vehicles with haptic feedback, my Ram certainly does not have that feature.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be honest, the LaneSense (aka Active Lane Assist, Lake Keep) scares me. A few weeks ago while driving my wife's Navigator, I was driving in the left lane (interstate) and an 18-wheeler changed lanes unexpectedly right on top of me. I immediately braked and swerved left onto the shoulder, but had to "fight" the steering wheel for a fraction of a second because I didn't use my blinker. After that, I turned off the Lane Assist - and I won't turn it back on.
Have mine turned off also. Don't like the feel/resistance when on curvy roads.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not taking issue with the term...I'm asking if the 2020+ models with LKA actually provide haptic feedback, as my 2019 does not...it simply corrects the steering. I've driven several vehicles with haptic feedback, my Ram certainly does not have that feature.
The 2021 DT users' manual says:
1627571283430.png

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excuse the lecture, but the solution is presented in your problem statement: use your turn signals. They are a safety feature and not using them is a hazard. This is so obvious it shouldn’t need to be stated, but apparently, it does.

My impression on lane keep assist: I haven’t noticed any bouncing from left to right. Instead, I just notice a little resistance in the wheel if I start to drift. I would not describe it as a vibration as was mentioned elsewhere. I’m ambivalent about the feature. It’s neither annoying nor a remarkable feature.

Adaptice cruise control (part of the same package) on the other hand, that’s been great. My new truck is the first vehicle I’ve had with that feature, and I miss it when driving my wife’s car.
Excuse the lecture, but turn signals are NOT required when no other traffic is around you to notify you're changing lanes...

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to say but I sincerely don’t appreciate drivers who don’t use there signal to change lanes, it must be an American thing, I see a lot of it when travelling to go to Florida. There are more distractions in newer vehicles, with the navigation, the music selections…. and so many people texting while driving, it only takes one time to cross the center line and possibly kill yourself and take others with you. So please use your signal, like you said, it eliminates the lane keep for a moment.
Lol you guys acting like I never use my signal. I use my signal when it's REQUIRED. If no one is around, literally no other traffic but I need to switch lanes, sometimes I don't signal. Lots of professional drivers on here who apparently know the laws too.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
However you want to describe it, the feature and it’s functions are exactly the same on 2019-2022 Ram DTs. Bottom line, as far as what the OP is wondering specifically, coming from an SUV of a different manufacturer that has ACC with lane centering, the feature on the Ram (Lane Departure Warning + with Lane Keep Assist) is completely different, and isn’t designed to behave like a vehicle with lane centering. That would be a different system that Stellantis is implementing on the Wagoneers and Grand Cherokee L’s called Active Driver Assist with Lane Centering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/