5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kooks longtube headers into borla catback?

Jack.

Reaction score
Hey guys my kooks longtube headers will be arriving in a few weeks and I just though about this.. but I currently have the borla catback touring system on at the moment. Would the kooks longtube system hook right up to it or will i need to make some adjustments? Will link it below.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow, those are expensive. Holy crap. Anyway, it says on the web page, "Connects to OEM Catback w/ 2 Bolt flange". So, I don't see why they wouldn't since your current exhaust works with the factory system.

Jack.

Reaction score
I got them on sale for around 3200 or something awhile back when it was 20% off. Only reason is cuz I didn't want to go the tuning route.... yet. And ofc emission issue in jersey lmao

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Without a custom tune, you won't see as much benefit from them. May even lose some performance

Jack.

Reaction score
Without a custom tune, you won't see as much benefit from them. May even lose some performance
Oh really? I mean tuning is def in the near future once warranty expire but I'm still bout 10k mileage out 😩. I hope I don't lose performance. I mean I got a pulsar if that's consider a "tune" for the time being lmao

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pulsar will help. I have one too. But the adjustments for the increased flow may be out of the range the PCM can adjust to.

Jack.

Reaction score
Pulsar will help. I have one too. But the adjustments for the increased flow may be out of the range the PCM can adjust to.
Hmm interesting. I guess ill start looking into a custom pcm and a tuner. I rem seeing somewhere on this forum people recommended Jay Greene. Guess time to drop him a msg

cwe

Reaction score
I just had Kooks long tube headers installed with a custom tune with stock exhaust and they were able to squeeze out 350 rwhp. Very nice sound.

Jack.

Reaction score
Alright so a little update on this... I received my headers from kooks and got a shop to pop it on however like my luck would have it some issues occurred..

1] They had mentioned that they couldn't get the fastener on all of the stage 8 bolts due to the thickness of the headers i have check and confirm that there is in fact not enough space for them to fit (for some odd reasons).

2] The connection where you uses the clamps to connect the headers to the cats don't seem to clamp down tightly, like even when its all the way screw down you can still wiggle the cats around like its loose. Kooks claim it may be a batch of bad clamps so they sent me another set for the shop and it still doing the same thing so now they are checking their manufacturer process to see if there was an error when the cats\headers were made and were suppose to update us 45min later but we never heard back from them by the end of the business day so now we wait til tmrw.

Do you guys have any advice on the 2 issues above ? or should i just wait til kooks potentially send me a new set which can take like 3 months according to their backlogged..

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alright so a little update on this... I received my headers from kooks and got a shop to pop it on however like my luck would have it some issues occurred..

1] They had mentioned that they couldn't get the fastener on all of the stage 8 bolts due to the thickness of the headers i have check and confirm that there is in fact not enough space for them to fit (for some odd reasons).

2] The connection where you uses the clamps to connect the headers to the cats don't seem to clamp down tightly, like even when its all the way screw down you can still wiggle the cats around like its loose. Kooks claim it may be a batch of bad clamps so they sent me another set for the shop and it still doing the same thing so now they are checking their manufacturer process to see if there was an error when the cats\headers were made and were suppose to update us 45min later but we never heard back from them by the end of the business day so now we wait til tmrw.

Do you guys have any advice on the 2 issues above ? or should i just wait til kooks potentially send me a new set which can take like 3 months according to their backlogged..
Personally, I'd have your exhaust shop cut off the collectors and weld in their own that will seal

Jack.

Reaction score
Personally, I'd have your exhaust shop cut off the collectors and weld in their own that will seal
I just took it to my local mechanic unfortunately, not 100% sure if they weld but I'll check tmrw lol

Jack.

Reaction score
An update:

So it seems like the shop can make it work, however we are now skeptical of their no tune / no check engine light claims.

I believe most of the shorties and etc have an egr port and we noticed these does not. So I'm reaching out to kooks to make sure they can back their claims.

Edit: nvm newer hemi engine don't have egr

Last edited:

MaxRam2019

Reaction score
How did these turn out? I have purchased the same headers(also at 3200 when on sale) and have the Borla s-type catback on my truck. Was really hoping these would make a marked improvement in sound and power. Love that Borla growl! 💪🏾

Jack.

Reaction score
How did these turn out? I have purchased the same headers(also at 3200 when on sale) and have the Borla s-type catback on my truck. Was really hoping these would make a marked improvement in sound and power. Love that Borla growl! 💪🏾
I had some issue with kooks where the sets they sent ended up being defected so they wanted me to send it back and have them fix it and etc so I ended up having my shop modified it to make it work but rather than that should bolt right on.

Only thing is that it's kind of loud now, way louder than I'd though it'll be LOL so I'm just contemplating about that aspect of it.

MaxRam2019

Reaction score
I had some issue with kooks where the sets they sent ended up being defected so they wanted me to send it back and have them fix it and etc so I ended up having my shop modified it to make it work but rather than that should bolt right on.

Only thing is that it's kind of loud now, way louder than I'd though it'll be LOL so I'm just contemplating about that aspect of it.
Do you have any videos of your truck? Cold start, driving, idle? Curious to hear it. Also, did you use the gaskets that came with the headers or did you use new OEM gaskets?

Jack.

Reaction score
Do you have any videos of your truck? Cold start, driving, idle? Curious to hear it. Also, did you use the gaskets that came with the headers or did you use new OEM gaskets?
Yeah ill try to do it when I'm home, I used the gasket provided

MaxRam2019

Reaction score
Yeah ill try to do it when I'm home, I used the gasket provided
Awesome! Thanks Jack. I had read something about guys using new OEM gaskets instead of those provided but can’t remember the reasoning behind it. I’m stoked to get mine on! Can’t wait to hear it!

Jack.

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks Jack. I had read something about guys using new OEM gaskets instead of those provided but can’t remember the reasoning behind it. I’m stoked to get mine on! Can’t wait to hear it!
Np I got the vid I'll post it when I'm home later

Jack.

Reaction score
Also , notice this wire was partly burnt off (the silver wrapped one), should I be concern of any other wires and mention it to the shop? It seem it got burnt and they ziptie it to the shock top bolt however didn't replace the heat wrap smh also what is this wire for?

The heat wrapped got burnt but wires seem fine. Should I have the shop wrap them again? Or is leaving them expose fine.

Attachments

• 20230901_134924.jpg
    20230901_134924.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is always my hesitation when adding aftermarket headers.
They always seem to rub on something, hang too low, or prevent access to other components.

And I say this as someone that would love to run Kooks headers....

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online