5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Known Issue - Backup Camera System Unavailable

jenstyler

Reaction score
Currently own a '19 Limited with the 12.1 in uConnect.
I have tow mirrors, so no surround camera system - just the normal backup camera (but does support a trailer cam)

Once in awhile and intermittently the backup camera will not work - you'll get a blue screen and a notice that says the "Backup Camera System Unvailable."
You're basically SOL until it decides it wants to work again. Sometimes it'll start working after turning the truck off/on again, sometimes not.

- Took it in and checked it with the dealer. They were able to reproduce the issue and checked with Ram/FCA Engineering and they said they're aware of the issue and a patch should go out in the next OTA update for the uConnect system.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 116

drsubie

Reaction score
not me, but I do notice that when I have the radio turned off, when I put it into reverse, the camera doesn't show up on the screen... (I have a Limited 12.1" system)

Nick814

Reaction score
I have tow mirrors, so no surround camera system - just the normal backup camera (but does support a trailer cam)

Once in awhile and intermittently the backup camera will not work - you'll get a blue screen and a notice that says the "Backup Camera System Unvailable."
You're basically SOL until it decides it wants to work again. Sometimes it'll start working after turning the truck off/on again, sometimes not.

- Took it in and checked it with the dealer. They were able to reproduce the issue and checked with Ram/FCA Engineering and they said they're aware of the issue and a patch should go out in the next OTA update for the uConnect system.

Did you get it fixed

fireron

Reaction score

How does it support a trailer cam exactly?

Sooliman

Reaction score
There is a TSB posted for this....quick software update at the dealer.
C6A7FB90-D946-4E74-9F46-86C0E8D7923D.jpeg

Wardc0826

Reaction score
I am also having this same issue and have since I picked my 19 Big horn up at the lot. Every few times I get into the truck the backup camera is blank and it is by far annoying. So reading the thread is what you guys saying that I can take the truck in and they can do some type of update and it will be fixed?

mvandy1

Reaction score
Limited w/ 3500 miles and backup camera just went blue w/ Check surrounding at top. 2 days ago the whole 12.1 screen went blank, heater turned on full blast and windows wouldn't roll down. If the doors would have locked it would have made a good horror movie scene! The next day everything worked fine??? Smells like some sort of software issue with Uconnect system in general. These "bells and whistles" are a big part of the buying decision for these trucks so hopefully they find a solution to these annoying glitches.

gibbynd

Reaction score
Ive had the wiring harness and camera replaced. Still goes to this black screen in cold weather or until I drive at least 12 miles. They have a Star case submitted.

Attachments

• 5945729A-AE97-4107-913D-4011144BE294.jpeg
    5945729A-AE97-4107-913D-4011144BE294.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85

tango1179

Reaction score

I have that same issue with my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. Usually it resolves itself with an engine on / off cycle. Unlike you, Chrysler has been unable to reproduce the issue, and I have just been living with it.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Looks like I just joined the BSoD club :mad:. I disconnected the negative terminal this morning to improve throttle response. That worked. No more lag on acceleration. However, my cameras are not functioning. So now I can plow over the neighbors kid really fast backing up! Called dealer and now waiting till next Fri to look. Has this happened to anyone else who had disconnected their battery? 114A3944-3DC7-4B47-A68F-3FF47A6734FD.jpeg

Last edited:

tango1179

Reaction score
Looks like I just joined the BSoD club :mad:. I disconnected the negative terminal this morning to improve throttle response. That worked. No more lag on acceleration. However, my cameras are not functioning. So now I can plow over the neighbors kid really fast backing up! Called dealer and now waiting till next Fri to look. Has this happened to anyone else who had disconnected their battery? View attachment 16316
How did you find out the transit method? I know now not to disconnect the negative battery terminal. Hopefully there will be no acceleration lag.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
How did you find out the transit method? I know now not to disconnect the negative battery terminal. Hopefully there will be no acceleration lag.
Let me edit here. As of 4pm this afternoon, I put truck in reverse and all systems go! All cameras work. Whew! Seems there are some internal checks it’s goes through that take time. Anyway, still curious to know if others experienced my trials.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
On this site of people using Pedal Commander. Others have reset by disconnecting negative battery terminal for 15min to achieve same thing. Worked for me anyway.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me edit here. As of 4pm this afternoon, I put truck in reverse and all systems go! All cameras work. Whew! Seems there are some internal checks it’s goes through that take time. Anyway, still curious to know if others experienced my trials.

I disconnected the battery when I removed the 12" screen. After plugging everything back in and reconnecting the battery I had numerous on-screen errors like I'd stolen the radio.
Turned everything off and restarted and all was well. There are all kinds of handshakes between components and it just takes a while after a battery or component disconnect for everything to play nice again.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Lol! Yes, they all seem to be playing well in their sandbox now! Such a sinking feeling to see the errors popping up. Maybe programmer humor?

jacksondb1

Reaction score
Took the tailgate off of a 2019 Ram for the spray in bedliner. Put it back on and plugged It up and it would not work. Customer brought it back in the following day. The camera connection plug under the bed {single wire} was not connecting. The connection will actually slide about 1/4 inch inside the plug itself therefore not making a connection even though the plug itself is connected. Try pushing the wires together inside the plug. Worked for me. No more stress. Good luck to all.

Users who are viewing this thread