5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Known Issue - Backup Camera System Unavailable

Noclownn

Reaction score
I’m having the same problem, disconnected the battery to install an S&B intake. Plugged battery back in, no cameras are working and it’s been six hours. I’m super nervous!

Attachments

• B65C7C67-89A1-450C-A191-EBF1F5359404.jpeg
    B65C7C67-89A1-450C-A191-EBF1F5359404.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 37

daveone

Reaction score
Looks like I just joined the BSoD club :mad:. I disconnected the negative terminal this morning to improve throttle response. That worked. No more lag on acceleration. However, my cameras are not functioning. So now I can plow over the neighbors kid really fast backing up! Called dealer and now waiting till next Fri to look. Has this happened to anyone else who had disconnected their battery? View attachment 16316
Same thing happened to me today. Disconnected the battery and once it was reconnected, and powered up - camera stopped working.

daveone

Reaction score
*** UPDATE ***
After a 40 min drive around town running errands with no change in the camera, i got back in and turned on the motor about 1 hr later and *VIOLA* the cameras were working again. Thank goodness!

RAMRhode

Reaction score
*** UPDATE ***
After a 40 min drive around town running errands with no change in the camera, i got back in and turned on the motor about 1 hr later and *VIOLA* the cameras were working again. Thank goodness!
Good to hear all turned out well. Same for me too. Looks like handshakes between different systems need a fair bit of time.

Jaymonujo

Reaction score
Currently own a '19 Limited with the 12.1 in uConnect.
I have tow mirrors, so no surround camera system - just the normal backup camera (but does support a trailer cam)

Once in awhile and intermittently the backup camera will not work - you'll get a blue screen and a notice that says the "Backup Camera System Unvailable."
You're basically SOL until it decides it wants to work again. Sometimes it'll start working after turning the truck off/on again, sometimes not.

- Took it in and checked it with the dealer. They were able to reproduce the issue and checked with Ram/FCA Engineering and they said they're aware of the issue and a patch should go out in the next OTA update for the uConnect system.

Anyone else run into this issue?
Just ran into the blue screen on my 19 Laramie 8.4 screen. I removed the inspection plate on inside of tailgate and the plug was disconnected from the actual camera. Easy fix and no drive to the dealer

borderjack

Reaction score
Currently own a '19 Limited with the 12.1 in uConnect.
I have tow mirrors, so no surround camera system - just the normal backup camera (but does support a trailer cam)

Once in awhile and intermittently the backup camera will not work - you'll get a blue screen and a notice that says the "Backup Camera System Unvailable."
You're basically SOL until it decides it wants to work again. Sometimes it'll start working after turning the truck off/on again, sometimes not.

- Took it in and checked it with the dealer. They were able to reproduce the issue and checked with Ram/FCA Engineering and they said they're aware of the issue and a patch should go out in the next OTA update for the uConnect system.

Anyone else run into this issue?
I just rant into it after installing the FCA Trailer Brake controller. I was thinking that this was related to the installation of the new module. I hope to get to the dealer this week to activate the TBC and check the camera system. I just had a patch applied to the nav system on Thursday for another bug. (when the split-screen shows the media screen and something else, the media screen would not update when the songs changed, but did so when in full-screen media mode)

jfk0108

Reaction score
Shared the issue last weekend - Disconnected the battery to install a module, and once the battery was reconnected, even the camera button on the 12" screen was gone, even after a test drive. Pulled the battery cable again to remove the module, and after time and a test drive, the cameras (and the button) came back. Still trying to figure out if this is a comm/handshaking issue, or a software bug. Be interested to hear if someone finds an answer.

Nibis

Reaction score
I ran my sub wire today, RCA and remote wire, threw an old sub in the truck to test it out, then hooked the power wire to the battery, and lost XM, Passenger heat and cooled seat, and back up cam.

temtav_007

Reaction score
I’m having the same problem, disconnected the battery to install an S&B intake. Plugged battery back in, no cameras are working and it’s been six hours. I’m super nervous!
I just installed the same S&B CAI today as well and have this issue. What ended up being the fix?

temtav_007

Reaction score
give it some time, it will come back
I'll check in the morning. Any idea if the service air suspension message will go away as well? Showed up at the same time and seems to work fine but message remains. Hoping it's in the same ballpark.

Nibis

Reaction score
I'll check in the morning. Any idea if the service air suspension message will go away as well? Showed up at the same time and seems to work fine but message remains. Hoping it's in the same ballpark.
When I disconnected my battery, I lost XM sat, backup cam, and passenger seat vent and heat controls, it came back later that day. I'm curious why you need to disconnect the battery for a CAI

temtav_007

Reaction score
When I disconnected my battery, I lost XM sat, backup cam, and passenger seat vent and heat controls, it came back later that day. I'm curious why you need to disconnect the battery for a CAI
Went out this morning to head into work and all of the cameras work! Air suspension message was still there. About a quarter mile down the road the message disappeared. Hopefully it's not there when I head home. Thanks for the advice. First step on instructions was to disconnect negative terminal and leave off for 2 hours to avoid a check engine light. Oh well, all seems good now.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
FYI it is totally normal for things to be missing in the Uconnect/Radio after a battery disconnect. If you reconnect and go right in and start it up, you will likely experience the missing functions syndrome. I have found (and many others too) that after reconnecting negative terminal, if you wait 1 hour then start it up, it will all be there. At least it was for me. Be sure the vehicle has shark fin visibility to the sky when you reconnect also.

jettfxr

Reaction score
Looking for help with BSoD on 2018 RAM 1500. The BSoD is intermittent and only occurs when in Reverse. At times it's a full blue screen and other times a blue screen with "Camera backup system not available" warning header message on the blue screen. Dealer replaced the Radio head assembly which cost $2K. One day after receiving truck back from the dealer...BSoD again!!!!! Truck is currently at dealer but the tech cannot repeat the issue. Is my next option to suggest the camera on the tailgate replaced?

jettfxr

Reaction score
Update on Blue Screen. The RAM dealer attempted to replicate the blue screen/camera backup system not available issue for everal days but was unsuccessful. I asked the RAM dealer to quote me a cost for replacing the backup camera located in the tailgate. My thought being it's worth a try having the camera replaced and the truck is already at the dealer. Due to the previous $2k repair performed by the dealer not correcting the blue screen issue, the dealer replaced the backup camera at no-cost to my wallet. I'm not feeling confident the blue screen issue has been repaired but at least I can focus on other areas (i.e. wiring harness) as being the issue should (more likely when) the blue screen/camera backup system unavailable issue reappears.

Mikeevans734

Reaction score
I have 900 miles on my 2022 1500 crew cab with the 6.4 bed. The backup camera started acting up with the blue screen almost immediately. How disappointing. This is my first RAM truck and I'm wondering if I have made a mistake.
I'm sure if I take it to the dealer that it will work so they wont write it up. I'm in Michigan.

Any thoughts?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have 900 miles on my 2022 1500 crew cab with the 6.4 bed. The backup camera started acting up with the blue screen almost immediately. How disappointing. This is my first RAM truck and I'm wondering if I have made a mistake.
I'm sure if I take it to the dealer that it will work so they wont write it up. I'm in Michigan.

Any thoughts?
I've replied this to others but when I first got mine a couple years ago my back up camera stopped working but before I could take it in it started working again and has worked flawlessly ever since .

Users who are viewing this thread