5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knocking noise on 2019 Ram1500

kmck94

Reaction score
That should not cause a noise like that. That was a mechanical slapping sound. A stuck lifter, a rod, main bearing failure. Since it went away, my guess is it was a stuck lifter. Most other issues would only get worse.

I'm really not sure. I just hit 1700 miles this weekend so I would love to know how this is already happening. I always have it garage kept and this weekend was the first time I didn't not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Hunt

Reaction score
I have a 2019 new Dodge Ram.
bought new August 28 th 2018, started getting engine knock and front end vibration at 1000 mile mark. I have take to nearest dealership 4 times, with FCA case numbers only to be told they could not duplicate and cases closed. They suggested I take to another dealership, which I did.
This new dealership verified engine knocking along with front end vibration and are now about to tear into the engine, stating they believe it is a bearing issue. How wonderful to purchase a NEW truck only to have it torn apart. It now has 10,000 mile.
I have asked for them to Warrant an entire engine replacement as I am sure it will never run correctly after repair, but I doubt this will happen after talking with FCA.
Piece of crap Truck, should be a lemon law candidate but nearly impossible to get this done in the state of Oklahoma.
anyone with this issue should notify FAC of this issue, and please spread the word once you drive it off the lot that vehicle id yours no matter the issue

Vader72

Reaction score
Have A 2018 Ram 1500 with 25000 miles. Exact same noise. Made it for 5 days, took it to the dealer and they heard it one time. Have had it 9 days with no results. Exact same noise!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have A 2018 Ram 1500 with 25000 miles. Exact same noise. Made it for 5 days, took it to the dealer and they heard it one time. Have had it 9 days with no results. Exact same noise!

Hi Vader72,

I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. If you would be interested in an additional layer of support while you work with your dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We are happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

Vader72

Reaction score
Hi Vader72,

I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. If you would be interested in an additional layer of support while you work with your dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We are happy to help.

Mark
RamCares
Hi Vader72,

Mark
RamCares
dont know how to make this private. But my email is [email protected]

Vader72

Reaction score
Hi Vader72,

Mark
RamCares
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Nor sure how to send this PM. Email is [email protected].

Thanks,

EOC

Reaction score
Have a 2019, drove it round trip 70 miles yesterday. Pulled in drive, had to restart to allow wife to park first. This same knock came in as engine started. I started restarted three times, and same result. Knock, then went away after about 5-8 seconds each time. I have 3,980 miles on it, and have driven it lightly as I was hoping to have this truck last me a long time. Has anyone found out what this is?... fuel Is 87 oct .... saw it mentioned.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Another bit of proof that quality control at FCA is absent. Lifter noises have plagued this engine series for over a decade. Add this to leaking roofs, etc. and you have to wonder if they actually have engineers designing these trucks or maybe high school students.

EOC

Reaction score
Another bit of proof that quality control at FCA is absent. Lifter noises have plagued this engine series for over a decade. Add this to leaking roofs, etc. and you have to wonder if they actually have engineers designing these trucks or maybe high school students.
It’s not the tick, I had that on my 2002 before trading it. This was a knock.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have a 2019, drove it round trip 70 miles yesterday. Pulled in drive, had to restart to allow wife to park first. This same knock came in as engine started. I started restarted three times, and same result. Knock, then went away after about 5-8 seconds each time. I have 3,980 miles on it, and have driven it lightly as I was hoping to have this truck last me a long time. Has anyone found out what this is?... fuel Is 87 oct .... saw it mentioned.

Hi EOC,

We definitely understand why this would be troubling. If you decide to address this with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with extra support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Reactions: EOC

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have that same noise intermittently after 3-5 minutes of idle time on morning starts. It actually happened this morning. Not as loud certainly very noticeable. This has happened first time at 200miles on it. Dealer has said it was normal. Not to happy with that answer. When they have had it said they never heard it

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
It’s not the tick, I had that on my 2002 before trading it. This was a knock.
phone cameras don't record sounds like these accurately. A collapsed lifter can sound like a lower end knock. The fact it went away after driving tells me it's a lifter that managed to pump back up and that it's going to do it again.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully your truck is not “knock knock knockin on heavens door”

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie just started making that same sound yesterday. Did you ever figure out what it was? I made the switch to Ram after being a GM guy but I’m starting to regret it. I have 14,500 miles on it and for a knock like that to decelop is unacceptable. Going to the dealer tomorrow but I’d love to hear what happened with yours or anyone else who’s had this issue.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie just started making that same sound yesterday. Did you ever figure out what it was? I made the switch to Ram after being a GM guy but I’m starting to regret it. I have 14,500 miles on it and for a knock like that to decelop is unacceptable. Going to the dealer tomorrow but I’d love to hear what happened with yours or anyone else who’s had this issue.
Mavroni has been long gone for a year and a half.......

Reaction score
Sounds like a lifter that had stuck and became unstuck at the dealer. My Charger did the same thing a while back.
Did it ever give you any more issues? My 2019 Ram just started making the same noise as in the video. Truck has 14,500 miles on it.
Mavroni has been long gone for a year and a half.......
Thanks for Letting me know. Do you know if anyone else on here has experienced this knocking noise? I'm new to Ram and this forum but would love to hear from others who may have had this issue. My guess is a sticking lifter, especially since it went away for a little bit and came back yesterday. I'd like to know as much as I possibly can before bringing it to the dealership later.

Dharris101

Reaction score
Have a 2019 ecodiesel, just started that knock tonight going down the highway...
Called tow truck to tow to dealership, have to wait til morning to call service, no message machine.

Dharris101

Reaction score
Have a 2019 ecodiesel, just started that knock tonight going down the highway...
Called tow truck to tow to dealership, have to wait til morning to call service, no message machine.
Don’t know what the issue is, was told this past Tuesday that warranty is denied.. first said I used wrong oil or oil not approved by FCA, used Castrol Edge 5w-40 full synthetic. So I called FCA, now they are saying warranty is denied because I didn’t use their technicians at dealership shop... my truck had 48,000 kms
Any recommendations on how to fight or dispute this decision?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t know what the issue is, was told this past Tuesday that warranty is denied.. first said I used wrong oil or oil not approved by FCA, used Castrol Edge 5w-40 full synthetic. So I called FCA, now they are saying warranty is denied because I didn’t use their technicians at dealership shop... my truck had 48,000 kms
Any recommendations on how to fight or dispute this decision?
@RamCares, see if they can help out

Users who are viewing this thread