5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kid proofing a 1500 Limited?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Kid proofing" is kind of like "asteroid proofing". You can try.
Off-topic, but if you wave your arms while chanting and circling your truck twice before getting in, it’ll protect you from asteroids. It sounds ridiculous, but it’s been 100% effective thus far.

As for protecting the truck from kids, the same technique works, at least when picking them up from school or the movies. Chant loudly enough, and they’ll miraculously find another way home.

tom318

Reaction score
I went with the covercraft waterproof polyester seat covers and they have been great. Durable fabric and have saved my seats a few times from some gross spills and crushed food that I know I would have never gotten out of the perforated leather. They weren't the cheapest, 200-300 I think, initial fit wasn't bad but it has improved over time. The material is a bit stiff. They aren't easy to take in and out though.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep them both until the oldest turns twelve and then sell them as a matched set.

Green Sheet seems to bring the best price but once they get into the teenage years you can't even pay someone to haul them off.

They say they come back from these horrible years in their late twenties.

They also say some never come back and became the a-holes of the world.

You'll question your wife what happened to those cute little kids so take lots of pictures while they are young to remind yourself of those fun filled days.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I have a couple of old beach towels I put down under the car seats usually. When I take the car seats out I just dump whatever crumbs were on the towels. If there is anything spilled, throw them in the washing machine. Also seat back covers definitely! Or maybe just put a plexiglass box over the car seats and drill some air holes in it hahah.

omaha_cyclone

Reaction score
I went with weather tech to try to help protect the interior of my Laramie from my 2 little nightmares. Ages 5 and 1 for a few more weeks. We had the cheap walmart seat protectors in my old Silverado and they were ok. Once I saw the, new to market, WeatherTech car seat protectors though I knew they would do a helluva job. The car seat protectors have side flaps on them to help catch anything they might toss over the side. They work well and give that extra bit of coverage. If you have someone often riding ***** in the back you will probably need to trim the interior flaps; so far my wife has not complained about them for the times when she has had to get back there and help with something. The outside flaps work really well for catching stuff and not have it actually make it all the way to the floor.

After we turn the little one's car seat to forward facing I will be picking up a second seat back protector. The one in front of my 5 year old has been doing a pretty good job of keeping his muddy little feet off of the seat back that he insists on using as a foot prop.

View attachment 119897
View attachment 119898
View attachment 119899
This is awesome. We have the same carseats too so I'm going with this option for sure.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went with weather tech to try to help protect the interior of my Laramie from my 2 little nightmares. Ages 5 and 1 for a few more weeks. We had the cheap walmart seat protectors in my old Silverado and they were ok. Once I saw the, new to market, WeatherTech car seat protectors though I knew they would do a helluva job. The car seat protectors have side flaps on them to help catch anything they might toss over the side. They work well and give that extra bit of coverage. If you have someone often riding ***** in the back you will probably need to trim the interior flaps; so far my wife has not complained about them for the times when she has had to get back there and help with something. The outside flaps work really well for catching stuff and not have it actually make it all the way to the floor.

After we turn the little one's car seat to forward facing I will be picking up a second seat back protector. The one in front of my 5 year old has been doing a pretty good job of keeping his muddy little feet off of the seat back that he insists on using as a foot prop.

View attachment 119897
View attachment 119898
View attachment 119899
Those look nice, but what about the rest of the seat? You would have to have some very well behaved kids for those to provide enough protection. When my kids were little, I'd end up cleaning soda, condiments, food, etc off the entire back seat area after my wife had taken the kids to town. I continually asked her to just let the kids eat in the restaurant, but she listened to me about as well as my kids did back then LOL.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those look nice, but what about the rest of the seat? You would have to have some very well behaved kids for those to provide enough protection. When my kids were little, I'd end up cleaning soda, condiments, food, etc off the entire back seat area after my wife had taken the kids to town. I continually asked her to just let the kids eat in the restaurant, but she listened to me about as well as my kids did back then LOL.
Kids + Soda + Wife + Truck = WHY

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a cheap cover for the back seat from Amazon that spans the entire seat + back. I put cardboard down between the seats and cover, then car seats go over the top of the cover. All weather floor mats, and seat protectors on the back of the front seats. Can't do much about the doors and windows, but if that's all I have to clean then I'll take it.

Had 2 car seats in there for over 1.5 years without removal, took them out for a weekend, and after a day or so the leather popped back up to like new. The cardboard helps disperse the pressure of the seats. Kids get food/drinks, I get food/drinks, wife gets food/drinks. Meh.

**I plan on keeping this truck for 10+ years. My last truck I had for 12 and the only reason it's gone is because it was a quad cab. Resale isn't really a priority, but the seats looked basically new once I took the cover off and did a quick vacuum.

Reaction score
I have just a seat bottom protector for the rear seat. If you’d like to see it lmk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Seat covers as mentioned and I picked up a mount for the iPad that clicks into the headrest bars. Great for entertainment on the long vacation drives. Throw a pair of headphones on the kid and it’s peace and quiet for hours!

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
It never ends I always had a no food or drink policy in place for my snot eaters my wife let them do what they wanted in her vehicle. Fast forward 19 years and I find myself having to clean the nice vehicles I purchased for the little sh-t$. 19 y/o daughter 2017 mustang, 16 y/o son got my 2018 Laramie cc 4x4. Hopefully one day the will appreciate what they have probably not till they have to shell out there own cash. I still love the crap out of the little💩’s though.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand this issue. I had a truck with fabric seats and my wife's car had leather seats, and we never had a problem. The no food or drink rule still applies today and my son is in his 20s now. I saw a picture above of a girl with her feet on the back of the front seat. That was also a no go with me. Teach them while they're young and they will listen and obey.

I set the rule when I was a teenager and a friend got an ice cream cone and jumped in my car just to lose the top of the cone between the seat and the center console. My father also always had to have a coffee with him, but he didn't like lids, so driving a Camaro with a manual trans, with dad holding his coffee over the floor mats was a major irritation. Only water bottles are allowed in any of my vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread