5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyless Entry on BigHorn Models

Gsmith223

Reaction score
The big issue here is its called keyless enter and go. It was one package for years even the videos they show on the features didn't distinguish the two being different optiond. The dealer had no idea that it wasn't included. When I called RAM customer service they said I should have it too. Only after taking it back to the dealer and them calling RAM 3 times did they see in the back of the brochure it differentiates it . I to came from a grand Cherokee Laredo base model that had the passive entry it sucks not having it once your use to it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My tradesman still has a metal key and the only way to unlock it is to put the key in the door handle. I sure would like keyless entry...the fob that unlocks locks doors.

But when I bought the truck I knew that and still made sure it worked as described.

I didn't pay anywhere near 50 or 60 grand for it, but i made sure every option I wanted was both present and worked before I purchased.

I also feel RAM isn't black and white with options, but except for a few real blunders, they do spell it out.

So, now just like i asked the people with the folding mirror debacle. How could you justify spending 50 grand on a truck and not make sure when you walked up to it that the key worked as you assumed.

And if you are saying RAM should offer this on all trims, where exactly does optional equipment start.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My tradesman still has a metal key and the only way to unlock it is to put the key in the door handle. I sure would like keyless entry...the fob that unlocks locks doors.

But when I bought the truck I knew that and still made sure it worked as described.

I didn't pay anywhere near 50 or 60 grand for it, but i made sure every option I wanted was both present and worked before I purchased.

I also feel RAM isn't black and white with options, but except for a few real blunders, they do spell it out.

So, now just like i asked the people with the folding mirror debacle. How could you justify spending 50 grand on a truck and not make sure when you walked up to it that the key worked as you assumed.

And if you are saying RAM should offer this on all trims, where exactly does optional equipment start.
Dammit, what's the matter with you, coming 'round here spewing all that making sense crap? :D

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Scenario; you order the truck making sure all the features you want are in it. Wait 6 weeks. Truck arrives, dealer says ready for pickup, you show up. Now the dealer brings the truck around to the front where I'm standing, leaves it running, tosses me the keys and says "hop in and test drive". I do that, making sure it all feels/sounds good. I bring the truck back, walk around it carefully, then "sign off on it", drive the truck home.

Note at no point did I have to unlock the truck first in that scenario. Should I have? Should I have a checklist "make sure doors unlock + lock" or do you just assume that it works? Had the dealer given me the keys and said "your truck is in the back, pick it up", I may have noticed the missing feature.

Another possibility is dealer hands you the keys, but you just happen to unlock it using the remote as you walk up to it because sometimes you're in the habit of using the remote unlock and maybe rely on the passive entry more for when your hands are full. Again, you notice the push button start and assume (because your old jeep worked that way) that you got the "leave keys in pocket" feature.

You guys just aren't trying hard enough to empathize here. Yes at the end of the day I signed off on it, but you have to admit it's very easy to overlook it. It's not like my truck arrived without a passenger seat and I signed off on that without noticing.

And again, for what it cost Ram to actually put the second half of the feature in, it's a poor decision on the part of Ram to omit it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am just saying. If you want an option, you should make sure it works. I guess I just take spending 50 grand on something as very important to make sure it is what I want.

I am in no way blaming someone for overlooking something.

But for as many "my dealer is a joke", "my truck is a piece of junk", "FCA can't make anything right" I sure would want to double check something.

Now, if you order a truck and it arrives, yes I would check every feature. Salesman have been known to make mistakes, just as I have.

Just as point. Bighorn doesn't have a class IV reciever standard. What comes standard is just the bumper. Obvious that something is missing. But, some have bought and then acted like it fell off on the way home.

I only chimed in, to remind people that you have to check these things. Yes, you even need to check your oil often in a new truck.

Guess, this is just personal preference too.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Scenario; you order the truck making sure all the features you want are in it. Wait 6 weeks. Truck arrives, dealer says ready for pickup, you show up. Now the dealer brings the truck around to the front where I'm standing, leaves it running, tosses me the keys and says "hop in and test drive". I do that, making sure it all feels/sounds good. I bring the truck back, walk around it carefully, then "sign off on it", drive the truck home.

Note at no point did I have to unlock the truck first in that scenario. Should I have? Should I have a checklist "make sure doors unlock + lock" or do you just assume that it works? Had the dealer given me the keys and said "your truck is in the back, pick it up", I may have noticed the missing feature.

Another possibility is dealer hands you the keys, but you just happen to unlock it using the remote as you walk up to it because sometimes you're in the habit of using the remote unlock and maybe rely on the passive entry more for when your hands are full. Again, you notice the push button start and assume (because your old jeep worked that way) that you got the "leave keys in pocket" feature.

You guys just aren't trying hard enough to empathize here. Yes at the end of the day I signed off on it, but you have to admit it's very easy to overlook it. It's not like my truck arrived without a passenger seat and I signed off on that without noticing.

And again, for what it cost Ram to actually put the second half of the feature in, it's a poor decision on the part of Ram to omit it.
I'm sympathetic, but I just see it as the buyer not understanding what they are getting versus FCA doing something wrong. We can argue all day long if them saving that money makes sense in the grand scheme of things on a $50k truck (I paid $37k so it's really a $37k truck), but I just don't see that they did anything wrong. Hell, my daily driver Kia is a manual. I have the exact same car for my wife in an automatic. On the manual ones there's no factory cruise control. You know what's missing? The button on the steering wheel. That's it. If you buy a steering wheel with the button on it, you get cruise control. How much did Kia save on that button? Who knows, but they did it to get you to up buy into a higher trim. Just like Ram did here. You have to upsize to get this feature. The push button start is a teaser. They want you to buy the higher trim, and if they have to hold a $50 part hostage to get you into a $5000 higher trim they are going to do it. That's the nature of cars these days. I remember far enough back on USA cars that you could order virtually any option on any trim. Then the Japanese cars came in with three trims and that's it. Eventually everyone went to that model.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone looking at a 2500...since 2010, the RAM 2500 has had underfloor storage.

Now, the Tradesman Model does not. All the other trims do. These are important to me. Guess they got this customer to consider spending 5000 more bucks to get that option.

Also, my 2015 has an awesome center hump floor organizer. The new tradesman has a pretty stupid one. Once again, getting me to consider a Bighorn. And since I am considering a Bighorn, I have already been looking at Laramie trim.

They know what they are doing.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For anyone looking at a 2500...since 2010, the RAM 2500 has had underfloor storage.

Now, the Tradesman Model does not. All the other trims do. These are important to me. Guess they got this customer to consider spending 5000 more bucks to get that option.

Also, my 2015 has an awesome center hump floor organizer. The new tradesman has a pretty stupid one. Once again, getting me to consider a Bighorn. And since I am considering a Bighorn, I have already been looking at Laramie trim.

They know what they are doing.

Right, but "underfloor organizer" is a feature that stands on it's own. My argument is "Passive Entry" and "Keyless Go" are two halves of the same feature, they give you the one but not the other. FCA also agrees that they should go together, since previous years/models that's how the feature was sold.

It's not just that the feature is missing; it's that they somewhat sneakily broke what used to be a single feature into two pieces and just gave me the one half. That's what you guys just aren't getting, as all your counter examples are just missing the point I've trying to make.

Again, a $10(?) part/addon. Keep in mind this was a $61,000 truck CAD with a $3000 "level 2 equipment group" addon.

We can argue about it all day, but the bottom line is this kinda thing is what costs future sales. I was so impressed with the features and quality of my cheap Jeep GC Laredo, that's a major part of the reason I considered Ram in the first place. Impressing the buyer brings them back, making them feel a little cheated, does not.

Anyway, I promise this is my last post on the subject :)

Edit: also, I do love the truck otherwise, and this "problem" alone will not necessarily sway me from purchasing another FCA product. But things like this can add up, and the reason I'm complaining is because if enough of us do that, Ram may get the hint that this is a bad decision and may be hurting them.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right, but "underfloor organizer" is a feature that stands on it's own. My argument is "Passive Entry" and "Keyless Go" are two halves of the same feature, they give you the one but not the other. FCA also agrees that they should go together, since previous years/models that's how the feature was sold.

It's not just that the feature is missing; it's that they somewhat sneakily broke what used to be a single feature into two pieces and just gave me the one half. That's what you guys just aren't getting, as all your counter examples are just missing the point I've trying to make.

Again, a $10(?) part/addon. Keep in mind this was a $61,000 truck CAD with a $3000 "level 2 equipment group" addon.

We can argue about it all day, but the bottom line is this kinda thing is what costs future sales. I was so impressed with the features and quality of my cheap Jeep GC Laredo, that's a major part of the reason I considered Ram in the first place. Impressing the buyer brings them back, making them feel a little cheated, does not.

Anyway, I promise this is my last post on the subject :)

Edit: also, I do love the truck otherwise, and this "problem" alone will not necessarily sway me from purchasing another FCA product. But things like this can add up, and the reason I'm complaining is because if enough of us do that, Ram may get the hint that this is a bad decision and may be hurting them.
My last post on it too. I wasn't making a case against how they describe things but rather, that a buyer(I never meant you individually) needs to check these things because mistakes are made, options change.

I completely agree that splitting the 2 make no sense.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think there was splitting. My 14 was keyless, identical to my 19 Big Horn, meaning fob entry, push button start.

I know we've beat the horse here so I'll bail as well but there is one thing I will leave with. Regardless of product these days, the world is promised until you actually get your hands on it and see for yourself. Throw a sales person into the mix, like a car, RV or boat, it gets even worse. There is a lot of vaporware out there, as the person forking the cash, be diligent.

BlckDT

Reaction score
I was aware that I was not getting proximity entry after doing all my research. But! I traded in a 14’ Jeep Grand Cherokee that did have this feature. Needless to say I find myself often walking up to my locked Ram and grabbing the door handle thinking it’ll unlock.

Wish they just made it a standard level 2 package feature or something.

Not planning on hating FCA about it though or basing any of my future FCA vehicle purchases off of this misjudgment.

Jcoots

Reaction score
I have a Big Horn and I don't feel that way at all. I knew exactly what I was paying for and also understood what a Laramie or Limited came with vs what a Big Horn did not.
I wasn’t aware when I bought my 2019 Big Horn. Actually traded in 2018 Laramie to get it. My 2019 is loaded, $56k sticker (midnight black appearance package - it’s sweet). Didn’t notice until I got home when I tried to open door to show the truck to my son. While momentarily bummed, I had to remind myself that when I was a teen, I drove a 1981 Honda Civic where you actually had to put the key in the door to lock/unlock it, put it in the ignition to start the car, & (shudder) manually roll down the windows. For god sakes I can literally talk to my truck now to ask to it help me find the nearest Dairy Queen. Pushing a button on a key fob is not much of a challenge nor a dealbreaker to me.

Users who are viewing this thread