5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyless Entry on BigHorn Models

HoodieNate

Reaction score
Still pretty upset that Ram chose to only include Keyless Entry on the Laramie, Rebel, and Limited Models, even tho my window sticker shows keyless entry as a standard feature included. I’m just shocked that a $55,000 truck wouldn’t have that feature considering cars that cost about $30,000 have them all now.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I had a Big Horn as a loaner while my Laramie was at the dealer a couple weeks back, and this was the #1 thing that bothered me about it.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
I had this surprise as well, Back when I bought the truck in November the video for keyless entry also showed the passive entry. Dealer and Ram care couldnt explain it. I got duped

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
yuppers---here is a thread where some of us contemplating the install of the passive entry:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. Pretty soon people are going to be complaining that $55k trucks never listen to what you're saying or won't blow dry your *** after taking a dump :D

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow. Pretty soon people are going to be complaining that $55k trucks never listen to what you're saying or won't blow dry your *** after taking a dump :D

That's not the issue at all. We're not complaining about a lack of a feature, we're complaining about missing a feature we thought we were getting and paid for. In other words, we were shafted by poor marketing, changes in how the features were sold on previous models, or sales folk who didn't know either etc etc.

Big difference.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not the issue at all. We're not complaining about a lack of a feature, we're complaining about missing a feature we thought we were getting and paid for. In other words, we were shafted by poor marketing, changes in how the features were sold on previous models, or sales folk who didn't know either etc etc.

Big difference.

I have a Big Horn and I don't feel that way at all. I knew exactly what I was paying for and also understood what a Laramie or Limited came with vs what a Big Horn did not.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Big difference.
I was only goofing around, and I get where you're coming from. But I have never heard of "don't need to do anything except walk up to the vehicle" called keyless entry. Every car I ever had, "keyless entry" meant you didn't need to use a key to open the door, you used a remote instead. Keyless entry never meant "do nothing". And apparently that's the case here, as it's called "passive entry" which makes sense, since passive does mean you don't have to do anything.

Otherwise, "keyless ignition" would just mean you get in and the vehicle starts itself.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I was flummoxed by this as well. My window sticker said "keyless entry". I assumed that meant "no key". Now, here's where the connotation and denotation differ on the word "key". To me, "key" meant the whole thing - fob and physical metal key. That's my fault for not asking questions and verifying before purchasing. Now that I have a Rebel, I have "remote proximity keyless entry", which is what I thought I was getting on the Bighorn. I agree that the wording leaves a little to be desired, and I can empathize with those that thought one thing and got another. In the end however - caveat emptor.

cra1g

Reaction score
I was flummoxed by this as well. My window sticker said "keyless entry". I assumed that meant "no key". Now, here's where the connotation and denotation differ on the word "key". To me, "key" meant the whole thing - fob and physical metal key.

Well if you want to look at it like that, even the proximity keyless entry system requires...a keyfob. ;)

cra1g

Reaction score
I get it too--FCA has made some stupid decisions lately. I've got the proximity thing, but almost never use it. If it was something I could just unplug and send to one of you guys that really wanted it, I'd do that.

silver billet

Reaction score
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the feature standard; it was a base Laredo with only a single option (uconnect hands free); it had the remote unlock, what I know now is called "passive entry", and "push button start". A 38,000 Jeep had this, I saw a few features on my Ram containing words like "keyless" and "push button" etc etc and assumed that all that stuff was on my Ram as well. Yes, "caveat emptor", but Ram still did a dickish move by splitting those features out and nickle and diming me on what was a $62,000 truck (MSRP, mine).

Explain to me the purpose of having only half of a feature? Because push button start is one half, and passive entry the second half; kind of stupid to only give you one half since then you still need to pull the keys out of your pocket and that doesn't help you any. The feature should be "no need to pull the keys out of your pocket", and then they give you ALL the tech you need to accomplish that goal.

Considering the fact that the antenanes and wiring are all there, software is free and software features cost nothing to enable, all that's missing to get this passive entry on my Ram working is what, a door handle with the sensor? Give me a break.

Next truck from Ram is going to be missing something like AC and people will stay "you shoulda read the sticker better", but a certain point you can only take in so much information at one time, and I don't always expect the unexpected.

Ram may have saved $10 on the door handle sensor, but stuff like this is what costs them future sales.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the feature standard; it was a base Laredo with only a single option (uconnect hands free); it had the remote unlock, what I know now is called "passive entry", and "push button start". A 38,000 Jeep had this, I saw a few features on my Ram containing words like "keyless" and "push button" etc etc and assumed that all that stuff was on my Ram as well. Yes, "caveat emptor", but Ram still did a dickish move by splitting those features out and nickle and diming me on what was a $62,000 truck (MSRP, mine).

Explain to me the purpose of having only half of a feature? Because push button start is one half, and passive entry the second half; kind of stupid to only give you one half since then you still need to pull the keys out of your pocket and that doesn't help you any. The feature should be "no need to pull the keys out of your pocket", and then they give you ALL the tech you need to accomplish that goal.

Considering the fact that the antenanes and wiring are all there, software is free and software features cost nothing to enable, all that's missing to get this passive entry on my Ram working is what, a door handle with the sensor? Give me a break.

Next truck from Ram is going to be missing something like AC and people will stay "you shoulda read the sticker better", but a certain point you can only take in so much information at one time, and I don't always expect the unexpected.

Ram may have saved $10 on the door handle sensor, but stuff like this is what costs them future sales.
I doubt it; I'd bet most people who buy a truck couldn't care less about that feature. And I find the push button start useful irrespective of the passive entry. In my old truck it never failed that I was all loaded up with tools and ready to leave the house and realized I forgot something. Then I had to shut the truck off because the key was in the ignition. Now it still happens, except I only have to hop out since there's no keys in the ignition.

silver billet

Reaction score
I doubt it; I'd bet most people who buy a truck couldn't care less about that feature. And I find the push button start useful irrespective of the passive entry. In my old truck it never failed that I was all loaded up with tools and ready to leave the house and realized I forgot something. Then I had to shut the truck off because the key was in the ignition. Now it still happens, except I only have to hop out since there's no keys in the ignition.

You're literally the only person I know who A) doesn't like passive entry once they've had it, and B) started/shut off/restarted the truck before actually leaving. I'm sure it's far more common that guys walk up to their truck with stuff in their hands and not having to pull out the key is nice.

There is no doubt about it, this "half a feature" thing is a real head scratcher considering how much of the required hardware is already there and waiting, and what it costs to add the missing components ($10 for a sensor/button?), and considering all the other more costly stuff they've thrown in.

dsn112

Reaction score
You're literally the only person I know who A) doesn't like passive entry once they've had it, and B) started/shut off/restarted the truck before actually leaving. I'm sure it's far more common that guys walk up to their truck with stuff in their hands and not having to pull out the key is nice.

There is no doubt about it, this "half a feature" thing is a real head scratcher considering how much of the required hardware is already there and waiting, and what it costs to add the missing components ($10 for a sensor/button?), and considering all the other more costly stuff they've thrown in.

FCA just cuts corners on stuff to try to build in profitability. My truck doesn't have the rear wheelhouse liners. They cost like $60, no logical reason not to include them on any truck in regions that get winter weather, but here we are.

I completely agree, it is asinine to have the system for push button start and not have the passive entry. Its using the same system to sense the key for the starter. Even if it cost an extra $500 to do, they could have easily folded it into the MSRP. Nobody would bat an eye.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I didn't say I didn't, or wouldn't like passive entry. I said that the push button no key feature has been useful to me irrespective of having passive entry.

As for FCA cutting corners and leaving out stuff to save money, hell all of the manufacturers do that. My Titan had nifty rear wheel liners and brakes and a rear axle sized for a mini truck. I would have traded the liners for a set of full-sized truck brakes any day.

Klute

Reaction score
Yes, the Bighorn prox key is disappointing. Cheap Kia's have real prox key so you just open the door w/o having to hit the unlock button on the remote. In fact, it's kinda stupid setup IMO. So you have to hit the button to unlock. Now you either put the key back in your pocket then set somewhere in the console because you don't have a key slot anymore. With my wife's cheap KIA she just leaves the prox key in her purse and it never comes out.

silver billet

Reaction score
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I didn't say I didn't, or wouldn't like passive entry. I said that the push button no key feature has been useful to me irrespective of having passive entry.

As for FCA cutting corners and leaving out stuff to save money, hell all of the manufacturers do that. My Titan had nifty rear wheel liners and brakes and a rear axle sized for a mini truck. I would have traded the liners for a set of full-sized truck brakes any day.

I'm not misunderstanding at all; I'm saying you're one of a few who might find half the feature useful. The rest of us don't understand why only half of it is there. No doubt you will always find someone who finds something useful, doesn't mean they did a good job implementing it. Again, keep in mind what it would have cost Ram to actually add what is missing here. A tiny button/sensor. That is why the decision to omit it is bad. If it was a $1000 option I might be a little more forgiving on this.

Anyway I'm not going to argue about it anymore, clearly you don't care about the feature whereas those of us thought we were getting it but didn't, do. Not much point in continuing this.

Users who are viewing this thread