5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key FOBs stopped/working now fine???!!!

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There can a bunch of things that stop remotes from working properly. Any wireless device can be interfered with. Some people have said they replaced lights in their garages with LED bulbs and that interfered with the remote. Many times it will go away and you will never know what it was that caused the problem. If it happens for days drive into the dealer and show them when it happens so its documented.

CatServant

Reaction score
I found that dropping my fob into a stainless steel can cooler in the center console cup holder was enough to block the signal.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Same here on my '21 Rebel! Both remotes suddenly stopped working, but proximity functions still work for locking doors with button on handle, and unlocking doors by grabbing handle. Anyone find a solution for this?
Take both remote out to the truck. Disconnect the trucks battery for about 5 or 10 minutes. Reconnect the battery and see if the remote work again. It sounds odd but that kinda gives them a reset

Sweet potato

Reaction score
Today, this happened to my ‘19 Limited.

The truck is not responding to either keyfob. Entered vehicle manually, set off alarms, tried what Rlaf75 recommended, disconnected battery for 10-15 min, with keyfobs in the truck, unfortunately did not resolve the issue.

Truck won’t respond to push start even with using keyfob to push. It won’t switch over to ACC at all. Screen stays on press brake and push button to start. Uconnect wont turn on.

Drove it 2 days ago with no problem. I did replace the battery on it about 5 days ago. Not sure if this caused any of the current keyfob issues.

Has anyone else have it not self resolve, or not respond to disconnecting/reconnecting battery?

I already have a case open to replace the bubbling leather dash 🤦. Might have to have them tow it in and look at this issue too if it doesn’t self resolve.

SilverRebel21

Reaction score
Same here on my '21 Rebel! Both remotes suddenly stopped working, but proximity functions still work for locking doors with button on handle, and unlocking doors by grabbing handle. Anyone find a solution for this?
UPDATE: I disconnected the battery, waited about 5 minutes, then reconnected and everything started working fine again. I guess it just got out of sync with the remotes somehow and resetting power to the vehicle remedied it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
UPDATE: I disconnected the battery, waited about 5 minutes, then reconnected and everything started working fine again. I guess it just got out of sync with the remotes somehow and resetting power to the vehicle remedied it.
As I mentioned a few comments back, it gives it a reset. I have to do this every once in awhile on the 200 or so Ram Promaster van's I work on

Sweet potato

Reaction score
Today, this happened to my ‘19 Limited.

The truck is not responding to either keyfob. Entered vehicle manually, set off alarms, tried what Rlaf75 recommended, disconnected battery for 10-15 min, with keyfobs in the truck, unfortunately did not resolve the issue.

Truck won’t respond to push start even with using keyfob to push. It won’t switch over to ACC at all. Screen stays on press brake and push button to start. Uconnect wont turn on.

Drove it 2 days ago with no problem. I did replace the battery on it about 5 days ago. Not sure if this caused any of the current keyfob issues.

Has anyone else have it not self resolve, or not respond to disconnecting/reconnecting battery?

I already have a case open to replace the bubbling leather dash 🤦. Might have to have them tow it in and look at this issue too if it doesn’t self resolve.

UPDATE:

RF hub damaged/corroded from leak in rear window. Replacement under “good will” by dealership because “water damage” isn’t covered under warranty, despite the damage being from a faulty third brake light seal or cracked rear window frame. Either way, I’m happy the dealership helped me out although I was without vehicle for over a week.

Snow White

Reaction score
I also had the dreaded Push to start issue. Happened to me at work and couldn't get my truck running to get it home (leaving my baby . Got a ride home and drove the jeep to work the next day. disconnected the battery, waited 10 min. and when i reconnected it I was able to start by pressing fey fob to button. Proximity sensor doesn't work either. Diagnosis was that the RF module is shorted out due to cracked rear window frame leaking.

Rip Off Nation is charging me Over $500 just in Labor to replace the RF module and Program it (and this is with me providing the part, removing the rear seats and back panel) stating that the labor is mostly in the programming. They also wanted to charge me $125 for a $80 MSRP Module which I found online for less than MSRP. It took them 6 days just to diagnose it and they tore up my back panel doing so.
They also quoted me $329 LABOR to replace the battery + the battery which I replaced in 15 min myself.
I'm approaching 50k miles so out of factory warranty.
Currently I have the new module which I'm making sure the leaks are fixed before I have it installed. BTW, I found an aftermarket rear lite (window) that is 1 piece glass for only $350 on Ebay and got it installed for only $140. Some may scough at it But i think that it looks Better and Hey, The Factory ones Crack and leak!

Bottom Line... You have a Great Dealer!

DolfanRAM

Reaction score
UPDATE:

RF hub damaged/corroded from leak in rear window. Replacement under “good will” by dealership because “water damage” isn’t covered under warranty, despite the damage being from a faulty third brake light seal or cracked rear window frame. Either way, I’m happy the dealership helped me out although I was without vehicle for over a week.
Aha, I’m having the same issue and recently had the rear window replaced. The automotive window was so slow it was unusable. Saflite came back to my home and use a spray lubricant which fixed the window. What’s the chances the lubricant ruined this RF module?

Bigb9298

Reaction score
Sunday night went out to truck to prepare for roadtrip next morning and key FOBS ended up not working completely (both). At first my main key fob didn't respond to unlocking until after a few clicks which it unlocked and I locked it back and it stopped working completely. Thinking it was the key fob battery I went back in house and got the spare and it didn't work at all. I had to use the key fob manually by pressing in button on side and using the actual key in the keyhole (strange huh...lmao). Well, good thing I had read up on how to manually start the vehicle the old fashion way when the key fob dies because it set off the ALARM when I pulled on the door handle to open door!!!!

Horn beeping like crazy, I tried all the buttons and it would not go off. So I touched the key fob up to the start button and started the vehicle and was able to stop alarm/horn. Monday morning I go outside thinking I am gonna go through same thing and key fob(s) worked perfectly normal all day. I purposely used both key fobs at least 7-10 times Monday and they responded perfectly. I normally use them just a couple of times throughout the day.

In thinking what caused the problem, I don't know?????

Sunday night, I read up on the key fobs and both had the red light come on when you press a button indicating they still had some type of battery life. Thinking back I had both my main keys and the spare key fob together which ended up underneath several wires/cords on my recliner footrest (heating pad wire, cell phone and its cord, laptop cord) prior to the attempts/failure to use them. I don't know if this caused a glitch with them or what; only thing I can think of that made things out of the ordinary.

Already this morning Tuesday, I have used the key fobs and both work fine.

Anyone experience this or have idea as to problem that I can avoid in future???
Sounds like you have a Radio Frequency hub module going bad. Same thing with my truck. I have been out of a truck since the 6th of this month. Dealer said I should have truck back by feb 8. PART DELAYS

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE:

care to give the dealer a plug?

Rodgie

Reaction score
I have this happen consistantly at work i get to work step out and press the proximity button on the door handle and it doesnt work. I then try the key to lock it using the FOB and that doesnt work. The only way I can lock it is to use the app... or i guess the key. I've also went to leave work and couldnt get into my truck. Dealer says it might be interferance and there isnt much they can do. Any trueth to this?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey Rodgie,

If you'd like some assistance with this, we'd love to see how we can help. Please send us a DM if you're interested!

Callie
Ram Cares

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rehashing this older thread. My FOB did not work for most of the day today. Could not lock/unlock doors or remote start by pushing the buttons on the FOB, but the proximity unlock still worked and my truck started as expected by pushing the start button.

I assumed the battery in the FOB was on its way out. So I tried the other FOB when I got home, and the same thing… then, just as suddenly as it stopped working, it starting working again… Hope this isn’t signs of things to come because if I ever get locked out because of this, I will dump this truck the next day! Very strange and very annoying! Luckily for me proximity still worked.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Rehashing this older thread. My FOB did not work for most of the day today. Could not lock/unlock doors or remote start by pushing the buttons on the FOB, but the proximity unlock still worked and my truck started as expected by pushing the start button.

I assumed the battery in the FOB was on its way out. So I tried the other FOB when I got home, and the same thing… then, just as suddenly as it stopped working, it starting working again… Hope this isn’t signs of things to come because if I ever get locked out because of this, I will dump this truck the next day! Very strange and very annoying! Luckily for me proximity still worked.
It is possible for radio interference to keep fobs from working. My daughter called me one time, because hers, and 3 others wouldn't unlock, and when one of them opened with a key, the alarm went off, and the fob still wouldn't start the car. You can't get locked out, because the fob has a key in it, to unlock the door. If the truck won't start, push the start button with the fob. The fob doesn't even have to have a battery, but will start the car this way. If the fob truly stops working, not just in a spot that may have radio interference, the RF hub may need replacing.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is possible for radio interference to keep fobs from working. My daughter called me one time, because hers, and 3 others wouldn't unlock, and when one of them opened with a key, the alarm went off, and the fob still wouldn't start the car. You can't get locked out, because the fob has a key in it, to unlock the door. If the truck won't start, push the start button with the fob. The fob doesn't even have to have a battery, but will start the car this way. If the fob truly stops working, not just in a spot that may have radio interference, the RF hub may need replacing.
Thanks for your reply. It didn’t work pretty much all day long, and at several different locations. Then all of a sudden, it just started working again. However, the proximity sensors worked just fine. I barely ever use the buttons on the FOB to lock/unlock the truck, but I do use remote start occasionally. I’ll make it a point to use it daily now just in case it happens again. It’s still under warranty.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Your problems are with almost 100% certainty, the RF hub. Even the "key touched to the start button and it works" scenario. It can be intermittent. They can be shorted from water leaks in the rear window or just go out naturally like mine did. The symptoms are no response from key FOBs. If you unlock in this condition with the key blade your alarm will sound and you can't stop it except to disconnect your battery. Which doesn't reset the alarm, just stops the alarm sounding until you reconnect the battery. I had to have mine towed to the dealer as it was dead. Took them literally 5 minutes to diagnose. Was covered under my extended warranty. FYI the cost of the part is $185 and labor for mine was $165. I also got 2 new key fobs which were $229 each because they thought they couldnt reprogram my originals to the new RF hub. Turns out they could so I now have 4 key FOBs.

FYI I have aftermarket LED lights installed in my CHMSL.

I have my own thread on my experience HERE

Users who are viewing this thread