5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key FOBs stopped/working now fine???!!!

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Sunday night went out to truck to prepare for roadtrip next morning and key FOBS ended up not working completely (both). At first my main key fob didn't respond to unlocking until after a few clicks which it unlocked and I locked it back and it stopped working completely. Thinking it was the key fob battery I went back in house and got the spare and it didn't work at all. I had to use the key fob manually by pressing in button on side and using the actual key in the keyhole (strange huh...lmao). Well, good thing I had read up on how to manually start the vehicle the old fashion way when the key fob dies because it set off the ALARM when I pulled on the door handle to open door!!!!

Horn beeping like crazy, I tried all the buttons and it would not go off. So I touched the key fob up to the start button and started the vehicle and was able to stop alarm/horn. Monday morning I go outside thinking I am gonna go through same thing and key fob(s) worked perfectly normal all day. I purposely used both key fobs at least 7-10 times Monday and they responded perfectly. I normally use them just a couple of times throughout the day.

In thinking what caused the problem, I don't know?????

Sunday night, I read up on the key fobs and both had the red light come on when you press a button indicating they still had some type of battery life. Thinking back I had both my main keys and the spare key fob together which ended up underneath several wires/cords on my recliner footrest (heating pad wire, cell phone and its cord, laptop cord) prior to the attempts/failure to use them. I don't know if this caused a glitch with them or what; only thing I can think of that made things out of the ordinary.

Already this morning Tuesday, I have used the key fobs and both work fine.

Anyone experience this or have idea as to problem that I can avoid in future???

barr0208

Reaction score
mine did that once but the fob up against the start button didn't work either. went for a walk from the store got the other fob it didn't work either. played around for over 30 minutes and it finally started and hasn't done it since.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sunday night went out to truck to prepare for roadtrip next morning and key FOBS ended up not working completely (both). At first my main key fob didn't respond to unlocking until after a few clicks which it unlocked and I locked it back and it stopped working completely. Thinking it was the key fob battery I went back in house and got the spare and it didn't work at all. I had to use the key fob manually by pressing in button on side and using the actual key in the keyhole (strange huh...lmao). Well, good thing I had read up on how to manually start the vehicle the old fashion way when the key fob dies because it set off the ALARM when I pulled on the door handle to open door!!!!

Horn beeping like crazy, I tried all the buttons and it would not go off. So I touched the key fob up to the start button and started the vehicle and was able to stop alarm/horn. Monday morning I go outside thinking I am gonna go through same thing and key fob(s) worked perfectly normal all day. I purposely used both key fobs at least 7-10 times Monday and they responded perfectly. I normally use them just a couple of times throughout the day.

In thinking what caused the problem, I don't know?????

Sunday night, I read up on the key fobs and both had the red light come on when you press a button indicating they still had some type of battery life. Thinking back I had both my main keys and the spare key fob together which ended up underneath several wires/cords on my recliner footrest (heating pad wire, cell phone and its cord, laptop cord) prior to the attempts/failure to use them. I don't know if this caused a glitch with them or what; only thing I can think of that made things out of the ordinary.

Already this morning Tuesday, I have used the key fobs and both work fine.

Anyone experience this or have idea as to problem that I can avoid in future???
Hi Love2driveRAM19, We are very sorry to hear that his happened to you. If this or any other concerns arise again with your RAM; feel free to follow up with us via private message for more assistance.
Rob
RamCares

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Hi Love2driveRAM19, We are very sorry to hear that his happened to you. If this or any other concerns arise again with your RAM; feel free to follow up with us via private message for more assistance.
Rob
RamCares
Thanks Rob/RamCares!

If you have anything in your data base (because I am sure it is larger than just this one forum) that resembles this situation and solution (if needed) let me know. Seems like a isolated glitch---kinda like when you have a hotel room key and it touches/near cell phone and it goes blank rendering it wiped clean unable to open the hotel room door; but in this case everything seems back to normal.

I will reach out if it happens again. thanks.

Fire1

Reaction score
Have any resolutions been made on this issue? I’m having the same problem. FOB functions stopped, attempt made with the spare, same problem. Indicator LED on the FOBs still indicate battery life.

Jeco

Reaction score
Have any resolutions been made on this issue? I’m having the same problem. FOB functions stopped, attempt made with the spare, same problem. Indicator LED on the FOBs still indicate battery life.
Having the exact same issue

COZZIE

Reaction score
I had exact same issue last evening on my 2019 Limited. Both FOBS would not work.
Manually unlocked the doors and was able to start it by holding fob next to push button.
10 minutes later both fobs worked without issues.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The FOB's obviously work wirelessly and according to FCC rules they are designed to operate on a frequency that is not allowed to interfere with other devices in the same frequency range but those other devices can & will interfere with your FOB's. Sometimes you can figure out what's interfering and sometimes not. For example some people here had replaced the garage lights with LED bulbs and they emitted signal interference that caused these types of issues. It can also be an issue with the receiver inside the truck. Its worth a visit to the dealer to make sure your receiver is working properly and performing up to normal specs.

Cibearse

Reaction score
Just had the same issue. Worked fin this morning, when I arrived to work I went to lock my doors via the button on the key fob and nothing. Actually had my spare key with me and tried it and still nothing.

TrackDay

Reaction score
I didn't see this thread until now, but I had a similar issue. The key fob buttons don't execute any commands, but my situation appears to be a little different as I can still lock the doors by pressing the button on the door handle and unlock them by putting my hand inside the handle. My truck also starts with just the dash button as well. Neither of my remotes buttons work and since it's easy a new battery didn't work in the remote either.
This happened at my hotel tonight and also at a WalMart parking lot where I went to get the battery.

Cibearse

Reaction score
I didn't see this thread until now, but I had a similar issue. The key fob buttons don't execute any commands, but my situation appears to be a little different as I can still lock the doors by pressing the button on the door handle and unlock them by putting my hand inside the handle. My truck also starts with just the dash button as well. Neither of my remotes buttons work and since it's easy a new battery didn't work in the remote either.
This happened at my hotel tonight and also at a WalMart parking lot where I went to get the battery.
This is exact same thing that mine is doing. Has been going on for about 5 days now!

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Try bringing all the fobs you have for it to the truck then disconnect the vehicle's battery for 10/15 minutes. It does kind of a system reset.

broomsky06

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie and this has happened 3-4 times. When I visit my parents house; I typically park under their metal carport. My key fob will not work if I am standing next to the truck or under the carport. I have to physically walk up the driveway or away from the carport and the key fob will immediately work. Even when I get in the truck it will not let me start the vehicle unless I push the fob into the start button.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was a Joke. Toyota was going to do it with the remote start as a monthly subscription. BMW wants to do it with the Heated Seats and Steering Wheel.
So, I implied that RAM may do it too.

Malodave

broomsky06

Reaction score
It was a Joke. Toyota was going to do it with the remote start as a monthly subscription. BMW wants to do it with the Heated Seats and Steering Wheel.
So, I implied that RAM may do it too.

Malodave
lol I assumed it was, but you had me scratching my head for a second, haha. Yeah, my wife's Highlander has the subscription to use the remote start and I heard about the BMW steering/seat thing. It's only a matter of time before all manufactures install features, but make you pay monthly to even use them.

TrackDay

Reaction score
Try bringing all the fobs you have for it to the truck then disconnect the vehicle's battery for 10/15 minutes. It does kind of a system reset.
Thanks for that. I finally had the time to do this just now and it worked like a charm. Problem solved.

SilverRebel21

Reaction score
This is exact same thing that mine is doing. Has been going on for about 5 days now!
Same here on my '21 Rebel! Both remotes suddenly stopped working, but proximity functions still work for locking doors with button on handle, and unlocking doors by grabbing handle. Anyone find a solution for this?

Users who are viewing this thread