5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key FOB Security

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a deterentz justike 90% of other security devices. Not every thief will have the equipment or knowledge to bypass it. It's not as simple as removing it and relearning throttle parameters, depending on which features you use. If the only thing you have enabled is throttle kill, maybe.
For those that already own a tazer, and aren’t looking for an additional security solution, the tazer can be a good option on its own. And if someone finding it, removal, throttle relearn, etc, is a concern, the tazer CAN be relocated anywhere you want without having to unplug the security gateway to use it’s connectors. If key fobs being erased by potential thieves is a concern, JScan can program them right back.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Both but I think the security part has been answered
It has a lot of nice features depending on what you want. Features no other devices provide. I have one and it's one of my favorite purchases for my truck.

Brake hold: similar to hill start assist other vehicles offer but more. When you come to a stop, apply heavy pressure to pedal for a few seconds. And/brake lights will flash on dash. You can then remove your foot from the brake pedal and you will not move until you press the gas pedal to go again.

Can be set to pulse the third brake light when braking. You can choose the number of flashes and speed of flashes. Helps alert drivers behind you that you are braking. I've had people following me on group cruises comment about how much they liked that feature

Light show allows you to turn the lights on for show purposes. Can program your own custom pattern, or choose one of the preloaded one. Also has option to enable light show in motion so you can use it during parades. Illegal to drive in the road with them on any other time

Allows you to completely disable traction control and stability control if you want to play around doing donuts.

Has a line lock feature for burnouts ( I run my truck at drag strip)

Turn cam turns on the rear view camera when turning.

Park cam turns on the backup camera when the parking sensors sense an obstacle. I use it for parking in my garage so I can make sure I'm in sr enough for garage door to clear since I have inches to spare

Autofold mirrors. Will automatically fold mirrors when you turn truck off, and unfold when you start the truck.

Has 0-30 and 0-60 timers.

Lots of other features I haven't mentioned.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a fun device - I have one too and love it. But I think it’s a disservice to fellow members to say that it provides true security.
Same can be said for a kill switch. It’s like having a chain guard on your front door. It’ll stop a Girl Scout from busting in, but not a real bad guy.

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
It's a deterentz justike 90% of other security devices. Not every thief will have the equipment or knowledge to bypass it. It's not as simple as removing it and relearning throttle parameters, depending on which features you use. If the only thing you have enabled is throttle kill, maybe.
No, thats it, either relay/clone the existing fob signal or delete/make a new key fob, relearn throttle parameters and then turn alarm off by starting the vehicle. Depending on model you will need to turn parking brake off. Its actually very easy and fast. The maker has finally told the truth about it and no longer markets it as an anti theft or for security at all and will tell you as much.
His ravelco statement is also incorrect because it can be bypassed at the plug in 8-30 seconds depending on which method is used.

Attachments

• 11ccaf1c-58e3-4dad-90a3-4003dc0084d6.jpeg
    11ccaf1c-58e3-4dad-90a3-4003dc0084d6.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
It's more than that. alfaObd is an options changer, and nothing more. TazerDT offers several features that are more than just option changes
Actually no its not. Its barely a deterrent. It is in no way an anti theft or security of any kind. Go ask the maker Joe Zizzadoro, ask him about me, he loves me… called him out on it until he finally admitted it

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
My reply to him wasnt even about the security features. It was about his obvious disdain towards the product and over simplifying what it does.

Seems you are just poking the bear to try and cause drama. I mean, people didn'tike me doing that when I was an admin
Not poking anything and my comment still stands, its an options changer when it actually works and nothing more.

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
Dude, I wouldn't challenge @Air'd outSRT on vehicle security. As far as I'm concerned, he's the most knowledgeable person on any truck forum. A couple of TRX guys got mouthy about Ravelco, so he posted a video on how to defeat it in seconds (literally). He'd probably do the same with the Tazer if you got him upset.
@Air'd outSRT - don't do it please lol.
No need, Z Auto finally admitted I was right. Saved me the time and headache

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, thats it, either relay/one the existing fob signal or delete/make a new key fob, relearn throttle parameters and then turn alarm off by starting the vehicle. Depending on model you will need to turn parking brake off. Its actually very easy and fast.
This is all after they remove the tazer, correct?

For argument sake, let’s say a guy has the tazer relocated, and it’s not being found, the tazer or its wiring. As in- ripping the vehicle apart looking for it hidden. Security gateway is plugged in, untouched in factory form.
What would you say the downfalls of the tazer’s security features would be then, in this scenario?

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
This is all after they remove the tazer, correct?

For argument sake, let’s say a guy has the tazer relocated, and it’s not being found, the tazer or its wiring. As in- ripping the vehicle apart looking for it hidden. Security gateway is plugged in, untouched in factory form.
What would you say the downfalls of the tazer’s security features would be then, in this scenario?
For starters it isn’t possible to hide it or the wiring but I will bite. Cloning the correct fob used to lock out the system will result in the same outcome as using that one used for kill by fob. Second there are countless people that go out and just start their vehicle and it never asks for a pin and does absolutely nothing to let you know it has a tazer with the “security” portion turned on. Then there are others that unbox a brand new one and plug it in and poof, its off to the dealer to do what I mentioned above because it bricks the vehicle and the dealership now needs to relearn the throttle parameters unless the owner has a programmer that can do it or hp tuners. It has also randomly fried (still is) rf hubs and then its off to get a new one.
So “if” you could hide it and make it invisible there is still a high probability that it won’t even work. It isn’t possible to hide it and keep the sgw plugged in, you would have to remove that whole body harness, open it and re-route all of the sgw wires to a different location and then try and hide it. Even then its pointless if you know where the can wires originate for it and just cut them.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It isn’t possible to hide it and keep the sgw plugged in
I’ve instructed a few how to do this, and it’s already been successfully done. Exact same thing as wiring in an IGLA, with the addition of grabbing the IHS bus too, so that much can’t be debated. At that point, as far as removing it, now you’re in the realm of “how much of the vehicle are they gonna take apart, and how long is someone gonna spend looking for this thing IF they even know that they need to be looking for a tazer”.
I do agree on the irritability of the tazer, and I’m not a fan of them at all. But, for those that already have it, have been using the security features without issues or hiccups, and have relocated it, I can’t see it being useless to them as a security device (given the extremely low probability that it’s going to flake out if it hasn’t done it already after being in use for a while).
Also, throttle relearn is no big deal. No special tools needed to do that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve instructed a few how to do this, and it’s already been successfully done. Exact same thing as wiring in an IGLA, with the addition of grabbing the IHS bus too, so that much can’t be debated. At that point, as far as removing it, now you’re in the realm of “how much of the vehicle are they gonna take apart, and how long is someone gonna spend looking for this thing IF they even know that they need to be looking for a tazer”.
I do agree on the irritability of the tazer, and I’m not a fan of them at all. But, for those that already have it, have been using the security features without issues or hiccups, and have relocated it, I can’t see it being useless to them as a security device (given the extremely low probability that it’s going to flake out if it hasn’t done it already after being in use for a while).
Also, throttle relearn is no big deal. No special tools needed to do that.
Dont you dare contradict the most knowledgeable person on any truck forum.

Personally, Id take your advice when it comes to the wiring and electronics on these trucks over anyone else. You have proved you knowledge here.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A couple more thefts (or theft attempts) reported on the TRX forum in the past 6 days since I posted the last link:

3/6/24 (stolen):

3/3/24 (stolen):

3/2/24 (stolen):

2/29/24 (attempted theft):

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A couple more thefts (or theft attempts) reported on the TRX forum in the past 6 days since I posted the last link:

3/6/24 (stolen):

3/3/24 (stolen):

3/2/24 (stolen):

2/29/24 (attempted theft):
So sounds like, if you want a TRX, dont live in Cali or Michigan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online