5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katzkin installation

Cottamscout2

Reaction score
I got the installation complete. I just took my time and planned to get one piece done each night after work. Nothing too crazy but a few things I would watch for:
1. The rear seat just unbolt and lift the back. They have a little hook that just sits on the latch on the back of the truck (See pics)
2. Take a close look at the backs of the trim panels on the front seats. There are a few screw then you actually unclip the bottom then pull the piece back. Take a look at the back of these ones and you should be able to see how they slide. The trim pieces covering the bolts in the front actually slide sideways (see pics)
3. There are airbags in the sides of the front seats. This is not a big deal and just make sure you disconnect power. They slide in sleeves sewed into the seat cover for both the oem cloth and the Katzkin leather. For each there is a connector on the top and they are held into the seat frame with two bolts. Pretty easy on this part.
4. The center console is held on with just clips so you can get a screwdriver or plastic tool under it and it will pop right up. There is a small piece on the back that pops off pretty easy, pull the rubber cupholder and there are two screws then carefully pop off each section of the main console part. I would make sure you try to pop each section of this so you don't loose or break any clips. After pulling it off make sure you didn't lose any clips because they just slide on the trim piece (see pics)
5. Obviously from the thread above just take some pics before pulling the other covers off. All the clips were pretty straightforward except the front.
6. Start with the back seats. They are easier and it should give you a good feel of how to pull the old ones off and put on the new covers.
7. Put a plastic back over the front seat headrests and a vacuum to compress the foam as much as possible. This will help a lot and after you put them on you can just reach your hand between the foam and leather then rip the back out. I would also try installing these sideways then pull over. The bottom seems to be pretty narrow and harder to fit going top to bottom.
8. I used a steamer to loosen the leather. This helped loosen up the leather and pull some of the wrinkles out. Given that it is winter here, I also put a spacer heater on each piece for a bit before installing.
9. I did pull each seat out and disassemble except for the front middle. I did not remove the back. I just left it in the truck and installed because I didn't find it work pulling out and it was pretty easy to install in the truck.

Take your time and put on Netflix or good music. If you enjoy this type of stuff it is not a bad project. Having said that, if you can get someone to do this for a few hundred bucks it is probably worth it given the amount of work that is involved. As I have used them a few days it is a great upgrade for the price (about $600 on Ebay) and any remaining wrinkles in the front seats seem to be improving with use. Back seats still have a few but will work on those a bit with the steamer or let use do the trick. Overall they look good and I am happy with the upgrade.

I will see if I can get some better pics of the interior. I have been pretty busy so just grabbed a few in the parking garage at work.

Hopefully this helps others but certainly let me know if you have any questions. 20190122_071334.jpg Back of rear seat.jpg 20190118_191243.jpg 20190119_171519.jpg 20190119_174302.jpg 20190119_174341.jpg 20190119_174418.jpg 20190119_174511.jpg 20190122_071324.jpg

Last edited:

TVANVA

Reaction score
Great job. The pics are really helpful and are encouraging me to do it myself when I get my truck.

Could you give me an idea of what non-standard tools/materials I will need (i.e. hog rings and hog ring pliers, etc.)?

Powerman1960

Reaction score
Cottamscout2, thanks for posting these pictures and tips on leather installation. Looks like a great job! I put leather in a 12 GMC Sierra a few years ago, and it was not that hard, but it did take up a hole day. The GMC seats did not require hog rings for install, they had a plastic fastening rod sewn into the cover that snapped into place in the seat foam. Did these Ram seats use hog rings or a fastening system?

Cottamscout2

Reaction score
The use some velcro but mostly hog rings
Cottamscout2, thanks for posting these pictures and tips on leather installation. Looks like a great job! I put leather in a 12 GMC Sierra a few years ago, and it was not that hard, but it did take up a hole day. The GMC seats did not require hog rings for install, they had a plastic fastening rod sewn into the cover that snapped into place in the seat foam. Did these Ram seats use hog rings or a fastening system?

They do have some hook and loop (Velcro) on key spots but a lot of hog rings. I think there were about 150 hog rings used. Not bad once you get used to them.

Last edited:

Cottamscout2

Reaction score
Great job. The pics are really helpful and are encouraging me to do it myself when I get my truck.

Could you give me an idea of what non-standard tools/materials I will need (i.e. hog rings and hog ring pliers, etc.)?
You will need hog rings (probably around 150), hog ring pliers and some torx sockets to remove the seats. A steamer will help but you can always just use some rags soaked in really hot water to smooth out seats (there are some YouTube videos on this)

D_Chiz

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread, anyone in Philadelphia area get this done?

Twowakes

Reaction score
Where is the best place to order the covers? I called Katzkins and they will not sell direct.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Several options:

1. Amazon / eBay (sometimes I see them on there).
2. Find a local Katzkin authorized installer and order through them.
3. Your local RAM dealer. They sell the black Katzkin covers (and I think the RAM logo might be stamped on them).

There are probably other places too (3rd party websites, etc.) but those are the three big ones I can think of.

Last edited:

Twowakes

Reaction score
Several options:

1. Amazon / eBay (sometimes I see the on there).
2. Find a local Katzkin authorized installer and order through them.
3. Your local RAM dealer. They sell the black Katzkin covers (and I think the RAM logo might be stamped on them).

There are probably other places too (3rd party websites, etc.) but those are the three big ones I can think of.
Yeah I saw those places I was asking for a specific person or location that has them there’s someone has bought from in the past

TVANVA

Reaction score
I got mine on eBay from user TouchUps in 2019. I had zero problems with my purchase, and did all my own work.

A quick look shows them still on eBay, still selling Katzkin, and maintaining a great rating. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Blandv

Reaction score
I ordered mine on line and found a guy to put it in for 250.00 dollars.
He said the center console takes as long as doing 2 seats.
If you are in Denver area and looking for some one shoot me a message.
FYI had to do mine as I had a Bear get in my truck and was cheaper than replacing them with factory cloth
I'm here in Denver. Just picked up a 2021 Laramie 1500. Not necessarily looking for katzkin at the moment but I am looking for front and rear seat covers if you have any suggestions.

Georgf

Reaction score
Now starting Katzkin installation, already done 1/3 rear seat. Could anyone say me the order to install leather on rear armrest in 2/3 rear seat my Big Horn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online