5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with an oiled filter. The issues come from when people recharge them, don’t let them totally dry, then over oil them, doesn’t let that dry, then installs them in the truck. And drives it right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
I have used Airaid drop-in dry air filters on two of my vehicles and was quite happy with them. About $70 bucks I believe, just washed and dried them a couple of times a year, no worries.

XmikeX

Reaction score
So do you guys just recommend the OEM air filter ooor....?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So do you guys just recommend the OEM air filter ooor....?
I don't think it matters.
If you replace your air intake that's just one thing, keeping the stock airbox just use OEM, anything else is going to let more stuff through that may or may not be fine.

Make sure you remove that stupid white built in filter if you have it. I removed mine and gained 2 MPG somehow. It was like a post filter riveted in with plastic rivets to my airbox.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you replace your air intake that's just one thing, keeping the stock airbox just use OEM, anything else is going to let more stuff through that may or may not be fine.

Make sure you remove that stupid white built in filter if you have it. I removed mine and gained 2 MPG somehow. It was like a post filter riveted in with plastic rivets to my airbox.
I took mine out too. Didn't seem to make a difference, but it is one less restriction.

XmikeX

Reaction score

hmmm ill have to check and see if i got that in there. I dont paln on changing my air intake so sticking with stock air box, Guess ill give the stock air filter a go.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
hmmm ill have to check and see if i got that in there. I dont paln on changing my air intake so sticking with stock air box, Guess ill give the stock air filter a go.
I know a lot of trucks didn't have it. I could only find 1 post online showing it. All the other videos didn't even have the filter. I don't know if it's just an etorque thing.
I wasn't getting over 16 mpg on the highway, I removed that and i'm able to get 17-18 mpg on just highway.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There is no way in hell removing the carbon filter gave you a 2mpg improvement. There is more restriction in your stock paper air filter than that thing.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know a lot of trucks didn't have it. I could only find 1 post online showing it. All the other videos didn't even have the filter. I don't know if it's just an etorque thing.
I wasn't getting over 16 mpg on the highway, I removed that and i'm able to get 17-18 mpg on just highway.
I had one without etorque. My build date was in 2018

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every 5th gen has the carbon filter in air filter housing lid. Unless someone removed it after it left factory.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is no way in hell removing the carbon filter gave you a 2mpg improvement. There is more restriction in your stock paper air filter than that thing.
I never hit 17 MPG prior
I removed it and I was able to hit 18 MPG on the screen, and on trips I was getting 17 MPG on the highway where the week before I got 15.5.
All highway driving.

I get that it's really weird. maybe my filter was gunked up in the 2k miles it was used for but it looked fine.
I don't understand why there are TWO filters, that can't be good for airflow.

Removing the second filter is better then using an aftermarket drop in air filter imo.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I never hit 17 MPG prior
I removed it and I was able to hit 18 MPG on the screen, and on trips I was getting 17 MPG on the highway where the week before I got 15.5.
All highway driving.

I get that it's really weird. maybe my filter was gunked up in the 2k miles it was used for but it looked fine.
I don't understand why there are TWO filters, that can't be good for airflow.

Removing the second filter is better then using an aftermarket drop in air filter imo.
The carbon filter, that you removed, is for emissions. The carbon absorbs any fuel vapors that might escape out the intake manifold after shutting engine off. I removed mine, noticed zero difference, and looking at the carbon filters there is no way it restricts airflow, especially when using the stock paper filter.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The carbon filter, that you removed, is for emissions. The carbon absorbs any fuel vapors that might escape out the intake manifold after shutting engine off. I removed mine, noticed zero difference, and looking at the carbon filters there is no way it restricts airflow, especially when using the stock paper filter.
I don't know, sure seems dense enough to me that there could be some restriction there, specifically at full throttle

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know, sure seems dense enough to me that there could be some restriction there, specifically at full throttle
At full throttle you aren't worried about fuel mileage.

HemiDude

Reaction score
At full throttle you aren't worried about fuel mileage.
Heavens no, I'm not worried about fuel mileage most of the time! I want more flow and quicker response.... vapors be damned :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread