5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N

DeV

Reaction score
Welp, went ahead and bought a K&N air filter today. Was on sale on Amazon and an extra 20% off the sale price. Delivered same day. Installed in minutes.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
They’re not “filters”… maybe filtering 10% of the big particles.

MontFla

Reaction score
I was a fan of their performance... I got one, and about a week later I watched PF's video where he tested a few filters, with the K&N being one of them... I was shocked by his findings.
This is good info

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
I had K&Ns in lots of other vehicles (sports cars, trucks, suvs, etc.) - yes, you do see performance increase due to less restrictive airflow.
I also had the (dis)pleasure of replacing MAF sensors that got fouled with K&N oil deposits in one of my jeep wranglers.

Do make sure you clean and re-oil the filter if you keep it.
I don't use them anymore - I just use high quality paper filters - not because I hate them, just don't care to have another point of maintenance.

DeV

Reaction score
Manny convinced me to send it back - I popped it out this morning before starting it up and put the factory one back in - I was mostly interested in having a filter that was washable/reusable - but that oiling and worrying about not enough or too much concerned me as well, so I'll just use the paper...

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
And air filter would have absolutely zero effect on oil pressure.
Yeah, I deleted to post, trying to write it differently but you were too fast to quote it :LOL:

This was the attachment:
B5F64DDF-6330-4924-8DD7-9DF02FBF65A2.png
It just shows how bad these things are…
Air/Oil filter is something I wouldn’t mess with… I want the best of the best for this Hemi.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fabric filters will allow finer material to pass, just hold one out in the sun, you will see the tiny holes. But the issue with K&N type filters is with the drop-in variety. Mainly the outer rubber seal is sometimes too thin for a particular OEM air box. The result is unfiltered air actually getting past the air filter element and allowing fine dust into your engine.

I've had this issue with multiple drop-in K&Ns. The only one that actually fit correctly was on my SV650 motorcycle. I've done oil analysis on that bike, and it returns clean in terms of air filtration. Though that filter is large in comparison to the motor and rarely is around any dust. I wouldn't use a fabric/oil filter in the desert or any vehicle that off-roads.

Highly recommend if you decide on a K&N type filter that's not part of an aftermarket intake system, to make sure that it fits tight and snug in the stock box. It should have a fair bit of resistance when trying to secure it. If not, than return it.

Considering paper filters are $20-30, offers the best filtration of the smallest particles, last 3 years and no-mess replacement over a cloth/oil type that needs to be washed, dried and then oiled. Hopefully not over oiled so you don't get any sensor issues, it just makes sense to go paper.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, I deleted to post, trying to write it differently but you were too fast to quote it :LOL:

This was the attachment:
View attachment 126500
Air/Oil filter is something I wouldn’t mess with… I want the best of the best for this Hemi.
I have used K&N Filters for forever.
The issue wasn't from the filter, it likely was clogged or the person had some counterfeit oil filter.

I have a K&N HP-1017 and am getting around 55PSI on my oil.

As far as air filters are concerned most of the people here have the right idea, make sure not to use oiled filters and they fit snugly. Generally more air flow = better performance = more crap getting through unless you are just using stupid off-brand filters from Ebay.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

This was the attachment:
View attachment 126500

People in that fb group are the worst, not sure how they have enough brain cells to even log onto Facebook

It wasn’t an issue with the filter. Because I also run one, I like the nut on the bottom for ease of removal.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What about AEM filters. Washable, but no oil to worry about.
You mean K&N?
K&N owns AEM from what I can see from around 2009 which is why it looks the exact same as K&N.

I recommend a non-oiled filter and since AEM is made by K&M I would say it's fine.

Again make sure it fits snugly in your airbox
28-20247 AEM DRYFLOW AIR FILTER 2022 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Gas Performance Parts | AEM
33-2247 K&N REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER 2022 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Gas (this is an oiled filter)

Personally I would replace the air intake system vs using an after-market air filter drop in but each to their own.

The Critic

Reaction score
@MannymanX
71F76B14-84FB-4DE9-B1AC-CB431A2967B6.png
The issue happens with other brands as well, not just Amsoil. The HEMI engines tend to load the oil with a lot of particulate which causes the high-efficiency filters to clog. The workaround is to use the low-efficiency, factory “rock stopper” filter.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Great info guys! I guess it was something else then... He did the oil change himself and he even researched the issue himself... SOUNDS LEGIT.
First time hearing about low pressure in the Hemi, didn't know it's an issue(I know about the tick and why it's caused, this is a different issue)
This thread is turning out to be a great guide to anyone who's looking to upgrade their Air/Oil filters...
For me, personally, Wix works best. I think they're the best bang for your buck, not considering OEM.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You mean K&N?
K&N owns AEM from what I can see from around 2009 which is why it looks the exact same as K&N.

I recommend a non-oiled filter and since AEM is made by K&M I would say it's fine.

Again make sure it fits snugly in your airbox
28-20247 AEM DRYFLOW AIR FILTER 2022 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Gas Performance Parts | AEM
33-2247 K&N REPLACEMENT AIR FILTER 2022 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Gas (this is an oiled filter)

Personally I would replace the air intake system vs using an after-market air filter drop in but each to their own.
I mean AEM.

Users who are viewing this thread