5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N Drop in filter with Carbon filter delete vs Vararam

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All but two. I left the top and middle ones. If I can remember tomorrow, I'll snap some pictures. I just received my replacement Vararam today actually so I'm going to install that tomorrow anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That would be great.

I have the RAM Airflow so same concept.

popcenator

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of how it looks and the route I went to remove the shutters. When you remove the plastic piece that says RAM covering the radiator, there was enough room to get my arm pretty much all the way down.
15b3f1985833cc38b519e3a57e802f3b.jpg
5765d6aa8ae6c1c81aa264119a39a189.jpg
f2b21713ae775aa35d02d3b0dac8ecd1.jpg

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the middle shutter vs the others. It doesn't look like the motor has an arm, rather the middle shutter has what looks like a gear end so that when the motor opens and closes, the middle shutter is what powers the rest. Point being, I think the middle shutter needs to stay on in order to keep the CEL off. I'm just guessing though.

11bf774984e506ac4b2fced6302e414c.jpg

Cheebie

Reaction score
So when you say drop in carbon filter, what does that mean? I had the K&N full cold air intake in my 2014 and I want to put the same in my 21 the 77 model with larger throttle body. So please fill me in between that and the Vararam. I really dont want to mess with the shutters, is that the only way to get strong air flow into the intake?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So when you say drop in carbon filter, what does that mean? I had the K&N full cold air intake in my 2014 and I want to put the same in my 21 the 77 model with larger throttle body. So please fill me in between that and the Vararam. I really dont want to mess with the shutters, is that the only way to get strong air flow into the intake?
If you remove the stock intake cover, you will see a carbon filter physically attached to the top section (like a thin screen). You can either cut it out with a utility knife or melt the sonic welds to release it. I just cut mine out and called it a day.

Cheebie

Reaction score
And do I replace it with another filter, sorry to be ignorant to this method but I have not heard of it before

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fwiw, I installed the vararam on my truck in November. I got it mostly for looks. If you are buying it for performance, you will be disappointed. As for the shutters, I don't think it will make much difference. Looking through the grill on my BTS, there is still a 3-4" gap under the shutters that still let's air flow through to radiator. And driving in the winter, my filter is ice cold if I pop the hood after driving, so it's getting good airflow.

I chose to trim my radiator cover to keep the RAM as I like the look of it. I then used a heat gun to warm up the plastic and flattened out the bend a little so I don't have to use spacers to keep it up.

Attachments

• PXL_20201116_232310205.jpg
    PXL_20201116_232310205.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20201116_234908377.jpg
    PXL_20201116_234908377.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 107

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Fwiw, I installed the vararam on my truck in November. I got it mostly for looks. If you are buying it for performance, you will be disappointed. As for the shutters, I don't think it will make much difference. Looking through the grill on my BTS, there is still a 3-4" gap under the shutters that still let's air flow through to radiator. And driving in the winter, my filter is ice cold if I pop the hood after driving, so it's getting good airflow.

I chose to trim my radiator cover to keep the RAM as I like the look of it. I then used a heat gun to warm up the plastic and flattened out the bend a little so I don't have to use spacers to keep it up.
They do look awesome, but thanks for your honesty in that it does very little to enhance performance.

popcenator

Reaction score
I definitely noticed a difference with the Vararam installed especially mid-range in the RPMs, especially when it's cooler outside. It's not huge, but it's more noticeable than any intake I've had before.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello...just reviving this thread a little. So ordered my Vararam from summit racing. Question in regards to the Plastic ram covering. Did you guys leave it off, or cut some of it out, or what other options I can do with it, so I can get max airflow into the cai, without cutting the plastic trim.

Thx

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since the thread is an old one being revived, I thought I would throw in a question rather than start a new one...

What is the purpose of the shutter system?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since the thread is an old one being revived, I thought I would throw in a question rather than start a new one...

What is the purpose of the shutter system?

My understanding is that it’s less drag and wind resistance at higher speeds. It pushes the air up and over the hood, or pushes it dow to the bottom and under the truck.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello...just reviving this thread a little. So ordered my Vararam from summit racing. Question in regards to the Plastic ram covering. Did you guys leave it off, or cut some of it out, or what other options I can do with it, so I can get max airflow into the cai, without cutting the plastic trim.

Thx

Trimmed mine and bent it up do as to not block air

Attachments

• PXL_20201116_232310205.jpg
    PXL_20201116_232310205.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread