5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N Drop in filter with Carbon filter delete vs Vararam

Stony0604

Reaction score
Earlier in the week I removed the carbon filter and installed a K&N drop in. Could definitely feel a little less lag and quicker pickup with the speed. Didn't notice too much with sound as I have a flow master muffler on it. I ordered the Vararam intake today, so when that comes in and I install it, I'll let you know the comparison between the two and if it's worth it to me.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Earlier in the week I removed the carbon filter and installed a K&N drop in. Could definitely feel a little less lag and quicker pickup with the speed. Didn't notice too much with sound as I have a flow master muffler on it. I ordered the Vararam intake today, so when that comes in and I install it, I'll let you know the comparison between the two and if it's worth it to me.
I look forward to hearing your review since I have the Ram Airflow which is a similar design.

popcenator

Reaction score
There's a noticeable difference between the two. Even more so with the shutters removed. I have the AEM dry filter in now while I get my Vararam replacement ordered. I can definitely feel the difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Make sure your K&N drop-in fits tight in the stock airbox. K&N is notorious for drop-in filters with gaskets that are too thin which allows unfiltered air to get into the motor. You will notice right away when you tightened the box, if it was too easy, it's too thin.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a noticeable difference between the two. Even more so with the shutters removed. I have the AEM dry filter in now while I get my Vararam replacement ordered. I can definitely feel the difference.

How did you get rid of the shutters?

popcenator

Reaction score
How did you get rid of the shutters?
The Rebel grille has a gap large enough to get your arm down up top. I was able to remove them that way without having to remove any part of the grille.

Stony0604

Reaction score
Make sure your K&N drop-in fits tight in the stock airbox. K&N is notorious for drop-in filters with gaskets that are too thin which allows unfiltered air to get into the motor. You will notice right away when you tightened the box, if it was too easy, it's too thin.
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully will only be on for another couple of days :)

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Rebel grille has a gap large enough to get your arm down up top. I was able to remove them that way without having to remove any part of the grille.

Did you get a check engine light?

popcenator

Reaction score
Did you get a check engine light?
No. I did leave two shutters on so that the bracket can go through the range of motion, which prevents a check engine light. I think I left the very top one, and the middle one.

Stony0604

Reaction score
No. I did leave two shutters on so that the bracket can go through the range of motion, which prevents a check engine light. I think I left the very top one, and the middle one.

Might be a dumb question, but do all trim levels have the shutters?

Stony0604

Reaction score
I've definitely noticed a quicker pickup and throttle response. Sound wise, not much different... but I also have a flow master muffler on. The real test will be next week when we make a 10 hour drive for vacation. I'm curious to see what the MPG will end up being at.

My honest opinion: If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't and would stick with the K&N drop-in and carbon filter delete. There is definitely a difference I can feel with driving, but the cost compared to the difference it makes doesn't seem worth it to me. That being said, it is a nice little piece of eye candy whenever I open the hood.

Also, I did see a couple of reports on taking off the grill shutters to get some better flow. I may try that before I completely say it's not worth it.

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've definitely noticed a quicker pickup and throttle response. Sound wise, not much different... but I also have a flow master muffler on. The real test will be next week when we make a 10 hour drive for vacation. I'm curious to see what the MPG will end up being at.

My honest opinion: If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't and would stick with the K&N drop-in and carbon filter delete. There is definitely a difference I can feel with driving, but the cost compared to the difference it makes doesn't seem worth it to me. That being said, it is a nice little piece of eye candy whenever I open the hood.

Also, I did see a couple of reports on taking off the grill shutters to get some better flow. I may try that before I completely say it's not worth it.
Did you unplug the negative terminal of your battery during the install so that the PCM would go back into learn mode?

popcenator

Reaction score

Keep in mind, once the shutters close, it effectively eliminates the benefit of a ram air type intake. I felt a difference when I got removed them. I could always tell when the shutters closed because the truck pulled a little harder, then died out a little again.

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind, once the shutters close, it effectively eliminates the benefit of a ram air type intake. I felt a difference when I got removed them. I could always tell when the shutters closed because the truck pulled a little harder, then died out a little again.

How many did you remove? (The top 3)

popcenator

Reaction score
How many did you remove? (The top 3)
All but two. I left the top and middle ones. If I can remember tomorrow, I'll snap some pictures. I just received my replacement Vararam today actually so I'm going to install that tomorrow anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/