5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just pulled the trigger on a set of Toyo open country AT 3 285/55/R22 (updated w/ pics)

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really like them. How would you describe the ride compared to stock? How much of a drop in MPG did you see at 70 MPH?

I only had the stock tires for about 900 miles, but you’ll definitely notice a difference in the firmness. I drove on LT tires for over 10 years with my Titan, so to me it feels normal. I usually average between 15-17 mixed driving if I take it easy. On the highway it’s really dependent upon head/tail wind. All highway without a headwind I could probably get 18-19 at 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domt1775

Reaction score
I only had the stock tires for about 900 miles, but you’ll definitely notice a difference in the firmness. I drove on LT tires for over 10 years with my Titan, so to me it feels normal. I usually average between 15-17 mixed driving if I take it easy. On the highway it’s really dependent upon head/tail wind. All highway without a headwind I could probably get 18-19 at 70.

Now that its been a while, what's the consensus on MPG hit? Still worth it?

Domt1775

Reaction score
Ive been debating on what tires and what size to buy since I bought my truck. Finally decided on the Toyo AT 3 as they'll be a good tire for winter driving in the Colorado Rockies. I know I'll need to do some trimming on the wheel well liner, but no biggie. Ive seen other trucks on here with various sizes, but the 285/55R22 looked best to me. Ill post pics when they arrive in about a week.

Updated with pics. Just had them installed and they look great! Some rubbing, but will work through that this weekend. Sorry for the dirty pics; we got some snow yesterday.
Can you post some pics from the front / side? Going with this same combination with a level and debating on adding some 1" spacers to give it just a slightly more aggressive look

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that its been a while, what's the consensus on MPG hit? Still worth it?

It doesn’t bother me. Even with the heavier tires I still get much better mileage than my Titan did. Plus the trade off for better stability and traction is worth it to me.

kjaminet22

Reaction score
Got my new 285/55/22 Toyo Open Country AT3's a few hours ago. Initial impressions are highly positive, the ride quality at 38 psi is great. I only had the stock tires on for a week and can't vividly recall those but the ride is better compared to my previous Falken AT3W tires in size 285/45/22. I'm thrilled with the aesthetic of the larger tires, as I've been desiring a beefier sidewall for quite some time. I know there will be a decrease in fuel efficiency but my annual mileage is only 5,000 miles, so I'm not overly concerned. My setup includes Bilstein 5100 shocks on clip 5 and 1" blocks in the rear. Based on others reviews I thought I'd have to do some light work with a heat gun but I performed numerous full-lock turns in both forward and reverse and no rubbing occurred :) I changed the tire size with my tazer to 34.35 and the speedometer is dead nuts compared to two different GPS apps. No issues with that size turning off the parking sensors. Finally don't feel like I have rubber band tires on, this is size they should come from the factory! 20231227_133147.jpg 20231227_130940.jpg 20231227_130916.jpg 20231227_131053.jpg

Nbeck21

Reaction score
Got my new 285/55/22 Toyo Open Country AT3's a few hours ago. Initial impressions are highly positive, the ride quality at 38 psi is great. I only had the stock tires on for a week and can't vividly recall those but the ride is better compared to my previous Falken AT3W tires in size 285/45/22. I'm thrilled with the aesthetic of the larger tires, as I've been desiring a beefier sidewall for quite some time. I know there will be a decrease in fuel efficiency but my annual mileage is only 5,000 miles, so I'm not overly concerned. My setup includes Bilstein 5100 shocks on clip 5 and 1" blocks in the rear. Based on others reviews I thought I'd have to do some light work with a heat gun but I performed numerous full-lock turns in both forward and reverse and no rubbing occurred :) I changed the tire size with my tazer to 34.35 and the speedometer is dead nuts compared to two different GPS apps. No issues with that size turning off the parking sensors. Finally don't feel like I have rubber band tires on, this is size they should come from the factory! View attachment 173371 View attachment 173372 View attachment 173373 View attachment 173375
Yours looks to be almost exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a 2019 ram laramie however has the suspension from a rebel so i've got the factory lift. My wheels are the 22's however the 2019's had some polished grey. I've been looking to downsize to some black 5 spoke 20s off but seeing the way yours looks I might look for these all black 22s instead!

kjaminet22

Reaction score
Yours looks to be almost exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a 2019 ram laramie however has the suspension from a rebel so i've got the factory lift. My wheels are the 22's however the 2019's had some polished grey. I've been looking to downsize to some black 5 spoke 20s off but seeing the way yours looks I might look for these all black 22s instead!
Thanks man, I've always really liked my 22's but hated the small sidewall. I feel like it finally looks proportional now.

Nbeck21

Reaction score
Thanks man, I've always really liked my 22's but hated the small sidewall. I feel like it finally looks proportional now.

Does yours have the off road package from the factory in addition to the suspension upgrades you’ve got? I’m not too technically savvy and like I said, a buddy helped me install his rebel suspension onto my Laramie which I assume means mine is lifted about 1”. I’m wondering if I’ll have a similar setup as you where they’ll fit right away or worst case minor trimming/heat gun. Or if i might be really pushing it and this size might be too large?

kjaminet22

Reaction score
Does yours have the off road package from the factory in addition to the suspension upgrades you’ve got? I’m not too technically savvy and like I said, a buddy helped me install his rebel suspension onto my Laramie which I assume means mine is lifted about 1”. I’m wondering if I’ll have a similar setup as you where they’ll fit right away or worst case minor trimming/heat gun. Or if i might be really pushing it and this size might be too large?

No off road package on mine. Yours would be very similar. The bilsteins on #5 clip give me a 1.7" lift up front and then I have 1" blocks in the back. You'll be fine with your set up, like you said worst case you'd need to do a little heat gun treatment.

Nbeck21

Reaction score
No off road package on mine. Yours would be very similar. The bilsteins on #5 clip give me a 1.7" lift up front and then I have 1" blocks in the back. You'll be fine with your set up, like you said worst case you'd need to do a little heat gun treatment.
Awesome thank you for the info! Right now I've got 305/45r22 and before the lift I had to zip tie the wheel well liners back just a bit but after the lift no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread