5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got news of a tonneau cover that fits the DT with Ramboxes AND MFT.

Apexcars

Reaction score
I reached out to Agri-Cover about the availability of the Lomax for these trucks. Here is the response I got:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our LOMAX Cover will work with your 2020 Ram 1500 5’7” W/Rambox Cargo MGT. System and multi-function tailgate.
Our Engineering Dept. just gave confirmation on Friday that our covers will work with the multi-function tailgate as long as you have the Rambox Cargo MGT System. They are working on updating the website to reflect this new information.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

Thank you,

BETHANY GURRIERI
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Agri-Cover, Inc.
P.O. Box 508/3000 Hwy 281 SE
Jamestown, ND 58402
T: 701-952-9972
F: 701-251-1512
AGRICOVER.COM

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hmmmmm. The bed on the Rambox is different from the non-box configurations.

Does your bed have the "dreaded brackets" - that prevent pretty much EVERYTHING from fitting the bed?

RAM Gator Underside (1).jpg

I'm curious whether the additional inner sidewall on the rambox bed stiffens the bed sufficiently to not require the brackets for the MFT?

Please do let us know how it turns out...

Rick

Apexcars

Reaction score
I haven't gotten the truck yet. It should be here next week, but my understanding is that the Rambox trucks don't have the external brackets like the non-Rambox trucks do.

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
I haven't gotten the truck yet. It should be here next week, but my understanding is that the Rambox trucks don't have the external brackets like the non-Rambox trucks do.
You are correct, there are no visible brackets with the RamBox option and MFT. Apparently, the construction of the RamBox option itself provides the necessary additional rigidity.

Hahny

Reaction score
They actually came out and confirmed it on the truck in our showroom! I live in devils lake,Nd and they sent a couple guys from agricover over to look at it!

Attachments

• C2DDBC11-E5A7-4064-97AD-CF9027C6D7C2.jpeg
    C2DDBC11-E5A7-4064-97AD-CF9027C6D7C2.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 260

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Not to rain on anyones parade - but shouldn't any cover that work with RamBox, already work with MFT?

Yes - for the RAMBOX USERS - the bed on those units it DIFFERENT. They have an "inner wall" in the bed - that apparently creates enough additional support for the MFT - so that the brackets aren't necessary. They also REDUCE THE WIDTH of the bed - so any covers/accessories HAVE TO BE RAM BOX SPECIFIC.

For example - the bed divider non-Rambox users have - has rails installed that the divider rides on. Rambox divider, slides into the "grooves" on the bed walls that are present on that option (but not on others).

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
They actually came out and confirmed it on the truck in our showroom! I live in devils lake,Nd and they sent a couple guys from agricover over to look at it!

This track HAS the RAMBOX and will use RAMBOX SPECIFIC COVERS - as the inner width of the bed is DIFFERENT.

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Okay - not to be BEATEN (because when the machine beats you - time to lock up your toolbox and go sit on the railroad tracks).

I REALLY wanted the bed divider - but it wouldn't work the with cover I'm running (the only one that fits MFT tailgates WITHOUT RAMBOX). The rails for the divider hit the hold downs for the cover (both front and rear).

SOLUTION: cut the frikkin rails down. Soooo. Of to one fabricator buddy to use his band/chop saw. Cut the rails down from 57 to 38".

VIOLA!

IMG_4903.jpg

Butted up against the front hold-down for the cover.

And clears the rear clamp...

IMG_4904.jpg

I now have a BED DIVIDER in a MFT with brackets...

Rick

flynfish

Reaction score
Any cover built for a ram box should work fine whether it’s MFT or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
Not to rain on anyones parade - but shouldn't any cover that work with RamBox, already work with MFT?
The difference, as I understand it, is that when a conventional tailgate is opened, it moves evenly along the entire width of the tonneau rear seal. When the MFT barn doors are opened it is a different movement and consequently places a different stress on that same seal. Then closing the doors could jam or tear a seal that was not designed for or could not tolerate that closing stress/friction. If you open the MFT as a conventional tailgate -- no problem.

Hahny

Reaction score
That's cool! Did you get to see it on the truck? Did you notice how it fit?
Sorry for the late response, they didn’t try one on it unfortunately, just went off measurements

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
I reached out to Agri-Cover about the availability of the Lomax for these trucks. Here is the response I got:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our LOMAX Cover will work with your 2020 Ram 1500 5’7” W/Rambox Cargo MGT. System and multi-function tailgate.
Our Engineering Dept. just gave confirmation on Friday that our covers will work with the multi-function tailgate as long as you have the Rambox Cargo MGT System. They are working on updating the website to reflect this new information.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

Thank you,

BETHANY GURRIERI
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Agri-Cover, Inc.
P.O. Box 508/3000 Hwy 281 SE
Jamestown, ND 58402
T: 701-952-9972
F: 701-251-1512
AGRICOVER.COM

The current Agri-Cover website says that the LOMAX trifold cover will NOT fit the 2020 RAM 1500 with the RamBox and the MFT. Must have changed their minds.

MikeChilcott

Reaction score
Any cover built for a ram box should work fine whether it’s MFT or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was thinking the same thing. I had the 2018 RAM 1500 w/ ram box, and used the BAKFlip MX4 with no problems. I just upgraded to the 2019 RAM 1500 Limited w/ RAMBOX, and w/ MFT (opens like a barn door), and it does not have any corner brackets.
Has anyone tried the BAKFlip MX4 with this configuration? Or know why it wouldn't work?

Thanks - Mike

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I had the 2018 RAM 1500 w/ ram box, and used the BAKFlip MX4 with no problems. I just upgraded to the 2019 RAM 1500 Limited w/ RAMBOX, and w/ MFT (opens like a barn door), and it does not have any corner brackets.
Has anyone tried the BAKFlip MX4 with this configuration? Or know why it wouldn't work?

Thanks - Mike

Mike, the last time I talked with BAKFlip their techs said none of their tonneau's were designed to fit the MFT. It was a rear seal with the MFT that was in question I believe, since as you mention the RAMBox option does not have the front corner brackets. That was last month, so you might want to call them and see if they have updated anything. Please let us know if you find out anything new. Thanks. Gib

Bozknight55

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Bak Industries. They are not shipping any covers for the MFT as they are retooling the design. Does anyone have any suggestions of a secure cover that fits 2020 RamBox and MFT??

RSConsulting

Reaction score
The MFT version should fit just fine, because they don’t have brackets. The issue with the MFT, is the width of the bed, and if the cover overhangs the lip and covers the ram box lid.

Non-Ram Box MFT’s have to deal with the brackets.

Jims380da

Reaction score
I have same configuration on my truck and I am leaning toward the Retrax rolling cover. There is a current thread discussing it. Take a look

MikeChilcott

Reaction score
Mike, the last time I talked with BAKFlip their techs said none of their tonneau's were designed to fit the MFT. It was a rear seal with the MFT that was in question I believe, since as you mention the RAMBox option does not have the front corner brackets. That was last month, so you might want to call them and see if they have updated anything. Please let us know if you find out anything new. Thanks. Gib
Well I called BAK and they still do not have anything with the RAMBOX and MFT. But I ordered one and the shop I ordered it from will do the install on Tuesday. I will take pics when completed and let you know what worked and what didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread