5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got news of a tonneau cover that fits the DT with Ramboxes AND MFT.

Reaction score
Well I called BAK and they still do not have anything with the RAMBOX and MFT. But I ordered one and the shop I ordered it from will do the install on Tuesday. I will take pics when completed and let you know what worked and what didn't.

I posted in another thread so I hope I am not wrong but on the BakFlip site they have a Q&A where they say the MX3 will work with MFT & Rambox if you get the right sku. It is on page 2 of the Q&A part of the page.

BAK-448227RB

https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-mx4-t...ehig-P7j-1e4a6XLeBaDXTmcq4FUZJexoCIDIQAvD_BwE

Apexcars

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Did you try reaching out to them to verify that because the vehicle selector says without multifunction tailgate.

Reaction score
Yup, James replied to an email I sent saying that all their hardcovers worked with MFT if it had Rambox.

Pepper

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Bak Industries. They are not shipping any covers for the MFT as they are retooling the design. Does anyone have any suggestions of a secure cover that fits 2020 RamBox and MFT??
I have the Retrax Pro MX. Fits and works perfectly.

Cpenn

Reaction score
I posted in another thread so I hope I am not wrong but on the BakFlip site they have a Q&A where they say the MX3 will work with MFT & Rambox if you get the right sku. It is on page 2 of the Q&A part of the page.

BAK-448227RB

https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-mx4-t...ehig-P7j-1e4a6XLeBaDXTmcq4FUZJexoCIDIQAvD_BwE
I just questioned BAK on that as well as there is another question answered where they state that the MX4 will not work with the MFT and Rambox. Just received the answer today that they "have not verified the cover will work with the MFT" and they have deleted the answer that stated it would.

dsmonline

Reaction score
I just questioned BAK on that as well as there is another question answered where they state that the MX4 will not work with the MFT and Rambox. Just received the answer today that they "have not verified the cover will work with the MFT" and they have deleted the answer that stated it would.

I can assure you the BAK MX4 works just fine on my 2020 Limited, with RamBoxs and MFT, there is NO reason for BAK to say otherwise, unless they just want to CYA. Maybe their policy is to have an actual truck equipped with the RamBoxs and MFT in their shop to test before they can say it has been 'verified'. I bought mine directly from BAK Nov 15th and registered without issue and yes they knew my truck had RamBoxs and MFT.

Jims380da

Reaction score
I can assure you the BAK MX4 works just fine on my 2020 Limited, with RamBoxs and MFT, there is NO reason for BAK to say otherwise, unless they just want to CYA. Maybe their policy is to have an actual truck equipped with the RamBoxs and MFT in their shop to test before they can say it has been 'verified'. I bought mine directly from BAK Nov 15th and registered without issue and yes they knew my truck had RamBoxs and MFT.
Any photos you can show us? Didn't you install yourself? If so, was it difficult? How's water intrusion? Looking to get same cover so your input would be of great help. Thanks

dsmonline

Reaction score
Any photos you can show us? Didn't you install yourself? If so, was it difficult? How's water intrusion? Looking to get same cover so your input would be of great help. Thanks

On the road right now, so no photos, however the install looks exactly like several other MX4 covers on other trucks in the various forum threads. Yes, self install, takes less than an hour for one person and is a 1 or 2 on the difficulty scale. Really easy to do. Some minor water back at the tailgate after a rain, I probably will not even try to seal it up back there. I am completely happy with the purchase.

Cpenn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I am planning on ordering one but that message had me a little concerned. Knowing someone has tried it makes me feel a lot better about ordering one. Have you had a chance to assess how watertight it is? I've had them in the past with no issues but the MFT seems to have larger gaps at the ends of the tailgate. I was thinking of adding some sort of weather stripping along the 4-5" at each end of the tailgate.
Thanks again for your insight.

Jims380da

Reaction score
Which online Bak distibuter has the best pricing. I am going for the MX4. Thanks

sjshoes

Reaction score
Just got my '20 Ram 1500 w/5'7" bed with the multi-function tailgate. Has the new EcoDiesel. Are you indicating the MX4 "WILL" fit the bed no problems or did you have to modify it some to fit?

dsmonline

Reaction score

The Dual Action Tailgate Seal is not something new, it came with my mid-November install. Looking at Bak's website, I do not see anything different than when I made my purchase. Because of the way the MFT is made, there is no way a perfect seal against water intrusion can be made, however you can add some foam weather seal if the little water getting into the bed at the back bothers you.

Users who are viewing this thread