5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just discovered there is only one 12V 12 volt cigarette cigar power outlet

Marusho

Reaction score
I'm packing for the journey to our Thanksgiving dinner. I always travel with an 80L 12V ice chest, previously in my 2000 F150 or 2010 4Runner. Both of those had two 12V outlets. I now have a Longhorn with Level 1 equipment and, despite the fact that there are 9 USB ports and 3 120V outlets, the only 12V outlet is on the dash, in my face.

This makes for inconvenient and unsightly cable routing. Besides, many (most?) dashcams are expecting a 12V connection. It seems to me that this is a design error.

It is not practical for me to run the ice chest on its 120 adapter, because the thing is very inefficient and gets very hot. I have on order from China an ugly 2-in-1 12V adapter.

I spent several hours researching this, hoping against hope that there was a hidden 12V outlet in a convenient place but had to concede. Since 12 volts is the native voltage for the vehicle, anything that runs on 12V is going to be efficient. Anyone else bothered by this? Any remedy come to mind?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a remedy, but the rear floor bins and Rambox are(can be used as) coolers.

Used the rear floor bins on the Journey and Ram 2500 we had for this.

We bought the little ice cube looking freezer pack cubes and used those.

Had also just used regular ice and they worked great.

Sorry I don't have any thoughts aboutthe fridge though.

Maestro

Reaction score
I can get by with just one , but did they have to put in the top of the dash ?? Looks ridiculous
Agreed. Well, if I had a phone charger up there with the phone, it would be OK, but I don't plan on it.

I have a whole host of 12V gadgets I want to plug in: 2 ventilated seat covers, LED lighting, ham radio charger, rear DVD entertainment for the kids...They are all low draw, and had plenty of access on the 4th gen, so what do I do now? Is there a second 12v outlet anywhere on the 2019 2500? Is the only other option hard wire from the battery?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I added one that I wired into the under dash fuse box.

Attachments

• 12V Acess.JPG
    12V Acess.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 368

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can get by with just one , but did they have to put in the top of the dash ?? Looks ridiculous

They put it there because very few people use 12v anymore. Almost every charger is USB and other things can be run off of AC current. They placed it on the dash to use with dash cams or radar detectors so you don’t have wires running down your center stack.

Marusho

Reaction score
I run a 12V icebox in the rear floor. Currently I have to run the line up to the dash. When I get around to it my plan is to add a 12V outlet on a cord inside one of the under-floor bins. The bottoms and sides are open to the air so I can just run a line (+ only) along the frame and through a hole in the plastic. I plan to use both sides of some 16ga landscaping cable to eliminate voltage drop. I might even wire it hot all the time with a toggle switch. The fridge draws 5 amps. I have no interest in utilizing the 120V adapter which runs hot as a pistol. It's hard enough keeping a charge in my truck, whose 1-year-old battery reads 12.0000000 volts. BTW, every dashcam comes with a 12V plug, though most will operate on 5V. Problem is, of the 9 USB ports in my truck, only one is switched and not connected to the audio system. They all operate erratically, flipping on and off mindlessly as you perform actions like opening the door or starting the motor. And sometimes they think the dashcam is a music player. The GOOD port is the one inside the console. My dashcam(s) are found in another thread and are mounted on the REAR window, with a USB cable running behind the back seat, under the floor mat and unobtrusively up into the console. I'm very happy with the images I get out the back window and of the interior and views out the front windows. I got some spectacular video of a thief who had no idea there might be a camera behind him.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would you mind showing where you plugged it under the dash ?

I didn't plug it in I cut the 12 volt socket off it and wired it into the fuse panel under the dash. Used a micro 2 fuse adapter like the guys wiring in their radar detectors.

BiGnOsE-417

Reaction score
I didn't plug it in I cut the 12 volt socket off it and wired it into the fuse panel under the dash. Used a micro 2 fuse adapter like the guys wiring in their radar detectors.
Thank you!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

rkfoote

Reaction score
I added two 12v sockets in the bed.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I feel ya, they kill off the cd player and now leave us with only 1 12v socket, WTF is going on here? But I need freakin 12 cupholders when the truck only seats 5 people?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel ya, they kill off the cd player and now leave us with only 1 12v socket, WTF is going on here? But I need freakin 12 cupholders when the truck only seats 5 people?
Not that I use it much but my Rebel has a CD player from the factory.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

INVISBLE

Reaction score
The 2020's with the 12.1 no longer come with the cd players and apparently we can not even add them since they are canbus and there isnt a flash to recognize it.

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
I couldn’t find any other posts on the 12V so I figured this was the closest thing.

So not only do we have 1 12V outlet (which I can live with) but I just discovered that the outlet stays on. I use a dash cam with the 12V connector and realized that the camera was recording even when the truck was off and it was parked.

Can someone else let me know if there 12V outlet stays on when the engine is off? I’d appreciate any feedback on this.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn’t find any other posts on the 12V so I figured this was the closest thing.

So not only do we have 1 12V outlet (which I can live with) but I just discovered that the outlet stays on. I use a dash cam with the 12V connector and realized that the camera was recording even when the truck was off and it was parked.

Can someone else let me know if there 12V outlet stays on when the engine is off? I’d appreciate any feedback on this.

There’s a fuse you can move to make it cut off with the ignition. It’s supposed to be the default but for many it does not appear to be (including mine )

Users who are viewing this thread