5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Points When Using Jack Stand - Pics Inside (Tire Rotation)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had to leave my back end jacked up overnight once and the x2 2 ton jack stands worked fine, but my carport floor still has gouges\marks where the stands actually dug into the tar somehow

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I had to leave my back end jacked up overnight once and the x2 2 ton jack stands worked fine, but my carport floor still has gouges\marks where the stands actually dug into the tar somehow
Sounds like a crappy paving job, not the stands fault. If you had 6 tons, the same weight would have been on the stands and messed up your parking spot. Put a small piece of plywood under the stands in the future. Will spread the weight a bit better to avoid marks.

lsupcar

Reaction score
Pull it in until the door handle is inside the posts and it’s a pita and you’re cursing while getting out. Push front arms to forward most flat spot on the frame. Push rear arms to the rear most flat spot on the frame. Lift vehicle up until all wheels are off the floor. Push up and down on the rear bumper a couple times like you’re trying to jounce the suspension. If you hear banging from the frame jumping up and down on the pads, then you need to readjust because you might drop a truck on your head. Done.

Haha.
Thanks djevox.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like a crappy paving job, not the stands fault. If you had 6 tons, the same weight would have been on the stands and messed up your parking spot. Put a small piece of plywood under the stands in the future. Will spread the weight a bit better to avoid marks.
It's no one's fault. It was more intended as a joke that the Jack stands held up better then the floor they were used on :-/

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's no one's fault. It was more intended as a joke that the Jack stands held up better then the floor they were used on :-/
They make jack stands that have a flat piece on the bottom to not sink in as easily.

umang2004

Reaction score
3 ton will hold the weight just fine. 6 ton jack-stands with larger foot print will hold it even better, major difference in stability. 3 ton jack-stands are pretty useless for full size truck application IMO.
I see you jacked it up just how the manual says, I have the same style jack.Is it safe to jack it like that? at an angle and the whole pad not making contact?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see you jacked it up just how the manual says, I have the same style jack.Is it safe to jack it like that? at an angle and the whole pad not making contact?
As long as it doesn't slip off the jack, yes

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The lifting pad has four "ears" I place one on the outboard of the a-arm cast ridge, has not slipped yet in the 4 years of owning the truck, not that I would go underneath it suspended like that tho.
My jack is beefy enough that it has no issue lifting in a minor angle like that.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
any pics of the lift points for a two post lift?
Line up rear seam of front door with center of lift. Front lift pad location are on flat part of frame in front of transmission brace. Rear lift pads are placed at the center strap location of the 33 gal fuel tank.

This is a 10k# asymmetrical 11’-10” lift.

Ram_On_Lift.jpg

umang2004

Reaction score
The lifting pad has four "ears" I place one on the outboard of the a-arm cast ridge, has not slipped yet in the 4 years of owning the truck, not that I would go underneath it suspended like that tho.
My jack is beefy enough that it has no issue lifting in a minor angle like that.
Thanks!, is that big metal beam that has the two top points on each side the subframe? and is it jackable from there?

umang2004

Reaction score
Thanks!, is that big metal beam that has the two top points on each side the subframe? and is it jackable from there?
referring to this

Attachments

• ram grp .png
    ram grp .png
    178.4 KB · Views: 162

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Line up rear seam of front door with center of lift. Front lift pad location are on flat part of frame in front of transmission brace. Rear lift pads are placed at the center strap location of the 33 gal fuel tank.

View attachment 152204
Nice.
That is a solid lift point.
I don`t use it because my air-ride goes nuts trying to level the truck.

lsupcar

Reaction score

View attachment 152204
Thank you.
Reading other's posts, If air suspension is involved, are additional steps/precautions involved?
Thanks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Reading other's posts, If air suspension is involved, are additional steps/precautions involved?
Thanks.
Yes. There is a button in uConnect for "tire change mode" which disables the suspension from changing. You can jack it up in any level you want though if you don't turn that on you truck is going to go ham trying to adjust itself.

lsupcar

Reaction score

View attachment 152204
Will that rear lift point still work if you have a fuel tank skid plate? I have that fuel tank skid plate and am having trouble finding a rear lift point.
Thanks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes. There is a button in uConnect for "tire change mode" which disables the suspension from changing. You can jack it up in any level you want though if you don't turn that on you truck is going to go ham trying to adjust itself.
I've never put one in tire change mode and never had the suspension "go ham trying to adjust itself". In fact, the suspension does nothing at all when I raise either our current '20 Limited or the '21 Limited we used to own. I wondered about that after the fact the first time I rotated tires on my '21 Limited. It did nothing so I've never used tire change mode on either truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never put one in tire change mode and never had the suspension "go ham trying to adjust itself". In fact, the suspension does nothing at all when I raise either our current '20 Limited or the '21 Limited we used to own. I wondered about that after the fact the first time I rotated tires on my '21 Limited. It did nothing so I've never used tire change mode on either truck.
It's probably more of a safety thing should someone accidentally hit the button on the fob while you are working on the tires

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
mine goes ham if it's getting jacked up without being in tire change mode.

I just went in for my yearly inspection because last year it went ham as he didn't put it in before jacking up the sides (required by inspection)
This year I set it but I guess turning the truck on and or going in reverse or something turned the setting back off so it did the same thing.

Truck gets jacked up, and you can hear the air flowing and you can see the truck shifting the entire frame.
More so side to side vs front to back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online