5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivory Tri-Coat

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I picked this up last night:

Ram1.jpg

Ram3.jpg

Ram2.jpg
minus the ramboxes and maybe some interior differences - YOU HAVE MY TRUCK - ordered last week !! any mods planned?

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Last try to this thread - applying 2 more coats with Opticoat Pro Plus somehow mitigates missing premium look of factory "fake" tri-coat.
Just to recap, I tried to explain concern few times before but folks here are thinking from color perspective and missing what tri-coat is, it is literaly 3-coat with medium translucent layer creating visual effects like chameleon or flares from any distance. When someone is talking about "deep" color standing within 2 steps from truck then it is not 3-coat effect but regular 2-coat/clearcoat/pearlcoat effect. The difference is $400 for 3-coat paint job that we paid but did not get any benefit getting working truck look from further than 2-3 steps away distance.
My opinion is still the same, current process at FCA either doing 2-coat for Ivory trucks or it is 3-coat with the same paint used for base or medium layer. We just got ripped for the difference in the cost but naives are happy here.
Now, with Opticoat Pro+ 2 layers it is now effectively 5-coat paint without "working truck" shame anymore: View attachment 2432
glad you're finally happy with it. i was happy from the first time i saw one in this color. i've had mine for 3 weeks now and i so happy i picked this color. i've waxed it 2 times already one with my liquid glass. then i used spray wax on her, so i could get everything with a coat of wax. i was lucky with my paint job. no blemishes at all. some of my cars or trucks has had a little something where no one else would notice but me.

borant

Reaction score
glad you're finally happy with it. i was happy from the first time i saw one in this color. i've had mine for 3 weeks now and i so happy i picked this color. i've waxed it 2 times already one with my liquid glass. then i used spray wax on her, so i could get everything with a coat of wax. i was lucky with my paint job. no blemishes at all. some of my cars or trucks has had a little something where no one else would notice but me.

Wax is another way to compensate for missing factory layer :) My shop also complimented paint consistency but they did complain that LED light had multiple scratches in the glass and they spent quite a lot of time polishing it. I think someone already posted about LED glass fuzziness in the different post.

Kidder

Reaction score
minus the ramboxes and maybe some interior differences - YOU HAVE MY TRUCK - ordered last week !! any mods planned?
My wife would like some steps so that will be sometime down the line. I would like to replace all of the chrome badging with black, too.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Wax is another way to compensate for missing factory layer :) My shop also complimented paint consistency but they did complain that LED light had multiple scratches in the glass and they spent quite a lot of time polishing it. I think someone already posted about LED glass fuzziness in the different post.
i was very happy before the waxing. i think most of us here who have this color is also. detailing is just something i've always enjoyed doing ever since i got my first car way back in the mid 70's. with my 13 ram being black, and my wife's 17 GC being black, it was soo much easier washing and waxing my new ram. all of my previous trucks has been the bright white.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
i was very happy before the waxing. i think most of us here who have this color is also. detailing is just something i've always enjoyed doing ever since i got my first car way back in the mid 70's. with my 13 ram being black, and my wife's 17 GC being black, it was soo much easier washing and waxing my new ram. all of my previous trucks has been the bright white.

i have raved about the ivory from the day i saw it (2 months ago) i just don't know why for the extra $ someone paying $50,000 to $60,000 for a truck wouldn't pay for it. all my company vehicles are bright white. not trying to convince someone who likes blue to - take a look at the ivory trim colour. but for $250 canadian or $390 us i don't know why u wouldn't if you wanted a white vehicle?

Laz

Reaction score
Last try to this thread - applying 2 more coats with Opticoat Pro Plus somehow mitigates missing premium look of factory "fake" tri-coat.
Just to recap, I tried to explain concern few times before but folks here are thinking from color perspective and missing what tri-coat is, it is literaly 3-coat with medium translucent layer creating visual effects like chameleon or flares from any distance. When someone is talking about "deep" color standing within 2 steps from truck then it is not 3-coat effect but regular 2-coat/clearcoat/pearlcoat effect. The difference is $400 for 3-coat paint job that we paid but did not get any benefit getting working truck look from further than 2-3 steps away distance.
My opinion is still the same, current process at FCA either doing 2-coat for Ivory trucks or it is 3-coat with the same paint used for base and medium layer. We just got ripped for the difference in the cost but naives are happy here.
Now, with Opticoat Pro+ 2 layers it is now effectively 5-coat paint without "working truck" shame anymore: View attachment 2432
That is a BEAUTIFUL looking truck!!! Makes me happy I purchased one too...hahaha

Attachments

• 20180809_192424.jpg
    20180809_192424.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is a BEAUTIFUL looking truck!!! Makes me happy I purchased one too...hahaha

...Are we not supposed to talk about the Porsche in the room!??!! hahah nice whip man

Reactions: Laz

Laz

Reaction score
I've had mine for 5 weeks now, purchased it and drove it for 2 weeks went camping and cruising then left on vacation for 3 weeks and just got back yesterday. I sure did miss driving the Ram more than I missed driving the elephant in the room (Porsche) alwi228! Hahaha

Laz

Reaction score
Just put my new license plate frame on...

Attachments

• 20180809_213500.jpg
    20180809_213500.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 106

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Just put my new license plate frame on...
Laz, you really like white cars and trucks don't you!! i wish my wife would get a white or ivory GC but she won't. maybe she would if she had to keep it waxed. yea like that's going to happen!

Laz

Reaction score
Laz, you really like white cars and trucks don't you!! i wish my wife would get a white or ivory GC but she won't. maybe she would if she had to keep it waxed. yea like that's going to happen!
I do...hahaha

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I've looked at the pictures of tricoat RAMs in these threads and see the same issue I have with mine purchased the end of Dec. 2018. The bed color is a shade off the cab color. In fact it has a gray tint. I have looked at 12 white and tri coat truck in dealer lots and all the beds are lighter than the cabs. I build cars and paintPearl's, so maybe I am the only one that notices. Mine is so severe my dealer is buying it back and replacing it with the same larmie in granite paint. Another person on this forum has the same issue and is in dealer buyback as well and they are going to a dark color. Have not seen a tricoat white on this forum without this same mismatch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181220-095049_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181220-095049_Gallery.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20181211_171941.jpg
    20181211_171941.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 105

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I've looked at the pictures of tricoat RAMs in these threads and see the same issue I have with mine purchased the end of Dec. 2018. The bed color is a shade off the cab color. In fact it has a gray tint. I have looked at 12 white and tri coat truck in dealer lots and all the beds are lighter than the cabs. I build cars and paintPearl's, so maybe I am the only one that notices. Mine is so severe my dealer is buying it back and replacing it with the same larmie in granite paint. Another person on this forum has the same issue and is in dealer buyback as well and they are going to a dark color. Have not seen a tricoat white on this forum without this same mismatch.
Mine went into the detailer the same week I took possession for ceramic coating, so if there was a diffference before there was not one after.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Mine went into the detailer the same week I took possession for ceramic coating, so if there was a diffference before there was not one after.
Glad for you. Hard to find any currently on dealer lots where bed and cab match. My cab, doors, fenders and tailgate are a great color...just wish the rest matched.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad for you. Hard to find any currently on dealer lots where bed and cab match. My cab, doors, fenders and tailgate are a great color...just wish the rest matched.
I really haven’t noticed a difference in my cab and bed.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I really haven’t noticed a difference in my cab and bed.
Yours is a nice looking truck. Have never found a ram box on a dealers site in pearl white. Might be why yours is a closer match. Here a a few pictures from my dealer where beds are whiter than the cab. One is a big horn white and the other a Laramie tri-white. You are lucky that yours matches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181229-153554_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20181229-153554_Messages.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20181226-045625_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181226-045625_Chrome.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread