5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivory Tri-Coat

borant

Reaction score
finally got a ivory-tri coat up here in canada. came in last night. exceeded my expectations! from outside of 8 feet it looks super close to bright white- get within 8 feet the metallic kicks in. very impressive.

it is actually disappointing. I had GMC white tricoat and it was obvious premium color from any distance. RAM looks like white working truck for random bystander until looking at it with zoom glass knowing there is some premium to find in it.
It is not " ivory" at all, just plain white with some metallic in it. It is still nice color but FCA folks have obvious color blindness when naming it "Ivory".

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it is actually disappointing. I had GMC white tricoat and it was obvious premium color from any distance. RAM looks like white working truck for random bystander until looking at it with zoom glass knowing there is some premium to find in it.
It is not " ivory" at all, just plain white with some metallic in it. It is still nice color but FCA folks have obvious color blindness when naming it "Ivory".
I agree I don’t care for the Ivory I can’t tell a difference barely between that and the white

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Picking up my wife’s car at detail shop, there was an Ivory 18 Cherokee Summit, loaded, that had the windows tinted and and top of line ceramic coating. Beside it was a White 18 F150 Platinum That had the same treatment. There was a significant difference between the Ivory and White. That Ivory Jeep was HOT! Everyone kept commenting on the Jeep. Wish I had taken pic, but my sorry phone camera would have blown it.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Picking up my wife’s car at detail shop, there was an Ivory 18 Cherokee Summit, loaded, that had the windows tinted and and top of line ceramic coating. Beside it was a White 18 F150 Platinum That had the same treatment. There was a significant difference between the Ivory and White. That Ivory Jeep was HOT! Everyone kept commenting on the Jeep. Wish I had taken pic, but my sorry phone camera would have blown it.
i'm with you! still waiting on my ivory limited, but when i wanted white and saw that wasn't a option my sales guy said the ivory tri-coat was close to white, but i had to see it for myself. ( all i could think i hope it was nothing like the pearl color ) i drove about a hour away to see a 17 grand cherokee summit in the ivory tri-coat and was very happy with it. they had a grand cherokee overland next to it in bright white so i got to see the difference in the 2 colors. even though i had to wait about another month for the ivory to be available to order there was no question that was the color for me.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
i'm with you! still waiting on my ivory limited, but when i wanted white and saw that wasn't a option my sales guy said the ivory tri-coat was close to white, but i had to see it for myself. ( all i could think i hope it was nothing like the pearl color ) i drove about a hour away to see a 17 grand cherokee summit in the ivory tri-coat and was very happy with it. they had a grand cherokee overland next to it in bright white so i got to see the difference in the 2 colors. even though i had to wait about another month for the ivory to be available to order there was no question that was the color for me.

I waited to long to order, “last week after I saw the Ivory on the Jeep”
E-torque was only option then, so be lucky to get it before end of summer.
I will definitely get the top of line protection

RAM 4times

Reaction score
I waited to long to order, “last week after I saw the Ivory on the Jeep”
E-torque was only option then, so be lucky to get it before end of summer.
I will definitely get the top of line protection
i finally checked my status on wednesday. ordered on 4-11 vin on 4-12. so it's been 10 weeks since i ordered. it's in "I" status. i'm guessing it going to be another month to get to my dealer seeing how long a lot of the guys here has waited on the shipping.

borant

Reaction score

My RAM's "ivory" is not the same color as GC Summit's. It is bleached white with metallic.
May be @RamCares could clarify why initial batch of Ivory has wrong shade of white, is it intentional or just another failure of new plant.

Last edited:

RAM 4times

Reaction score
My RAM's "ivory" is not the same color as GC Summit's. It is bleached white with metallic.
May be @RamCares could clarify why initial batch of Ivory has wrong shade of white, is it intentional or just another failure of new plant.
i saw a 19 ivory tri-coat longhorn at my dealer this morning and couldn't be happier with the color. can't wait to see mine!

mikemcfarland

Reaction score

i don't disagree with what you are saying. i think that is why a few of us are drawn to the ivory trim-coat. from outside of 8 feet it is super close to bright white (not eggshell / pearl /off white) but within in 8 feet it comes alive. the pictures i have shown to my buddies -ALL have them saying that is the colour (non-colour being white) they have wanted. fyi- 35-45 year old demographic. colour is definitely too each there own.:)

RAM 4times

Reaction score
i don't disagree with what you are saying. i think that is why a few of us are drawn to the ivory trim-coat. from outside of 8 feet it is super close to bright white (not eggshell / pearl /off white) but within in 8 feet it comes alive. the pictures i have shown to my buddies -ALL have them saying that is the colour (non-colour being white) they have wanted. fyi- 35-45 year old demographic. colour is definitely too each there own.:)
i went back to my dealer this morning to look at the longhorn in the ivory again. yesterday was cloudy so i wanted to see it in the sunlight also. it was perfect this morning some high clouds and then the sun would come out. i so i got to see it in the sun and shaded. plus i didn't even notice yesterday they had a white cherokee behind it on a angle so you could see both at the same time. i am very happy with the color. borant is right it's not exactly like the ivory on the GC summit. when i finally get mine i will take a ride where there is a summit in ivory to see them side by side. it kinda reminds me of the 98 grand cherokee my wife had. i believe that was called stone white. we had that for 10 years.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
i went back to my dealer this morning to look at the longhorn in the ivory again. yesterday was cloudy so i wanted to see it in the sunlight also. it was perfect this morning some high clouds and then the sun would come out. i so i got to see it in the sun and shaded. plus i didn't even notice yesterday they had a white cherokee behind it on a angle so you could see both at the same time. i am very happy with the color. borant is right it's not exactly like the ivory on the GC summit. when i finally get mine i will take a ride where there is a summit in ivory to see them side by side. it kinda reminds me of the 98 grand cherokee my wife had. i believe that was called stone white. we had that for 10 years.

that would be greatly beneficial!! i too had had to "kill time-before tee time "and was lerking around 2 dealerships. there was a bright white grand cherokee next to a pearl (not ivory) cherokee. the pearl white was to say the least - not impressive. i too went and looked again at the ivory and i thought - for an extra $245.00 canadian (i know it is more in the u.s. ) but it is well worth it.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Color is definitely a personal preference. I want the ivory, but I would rather it look ivory/tri-coat from all distances and not just up close. I'm not a fan of the current bright white (again, to each his own). My second choice was the Delmonico Red. It looks a little maroonish at times in pictures, but I'm wondering if that is just the cameras not doing justice. I can't wait for all colors to hit lots nearby so I can let my eyes do the judging in person.

Laz

Reaction score
Here's my Ivory 3 coat / 2 tone Laramie.

Attachments

• 20180710_105049.jpg
    20180710_105049.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 173
  • 20180709_184701.jpg
    20180709_184701.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
  • 20180709_184646.jpg
    20180709_184646.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 127
  • 20180723_124256.jpg
    20180723_124256.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 130

RAM 4times

Reaction score
congrats on your new truck. you couldn't have picked a better color. i've had my limited in the ivory tri-coat for two weeks now and i'm loving the color more every day. i had 4 different people come up to me in parking lots asking about my truck. a couple of days ago i waxed her for the first time and was very pleased the way it looked when i was finished. they did a great job on the paint job. no bad spots. you never know untill you wax it for the first time. soo much easier than my black ram i just traded in. ps good to see you had the disney channel on for the young ones!

Reactions: Laz

Laz

Reaction score
congrats on your new truck. you couldn't have picked a better color. i've had my limited in the ivory tri-coat for two weeks now and i'm loving the color more every day. i had 4 different people come up to me in parking lots asking about my truck. a couple of days ago i waxed her for the first time and was very pleased the way it looked when i was finished. they did a great job on the paint job. no bad spots. you never know untill you wax it for the first time. soo much easier than my black ram i just traded in. ps good to see you had the disney channel on for the young ones!
Haha, thank you for your compliment and CONGRATS to you as well on your color choice and Ram! As for the Disney channel yes, I've got no say when my girls are in any of our cars. I recently had a screw in my rear tire and since it was on the curve of sidewall it could not be repaired so my buddy at Americas tire ordered me new one through the road hazard warranty $25 and it came in after a few days. Everyone at the tire place was curious to see interior as all the tire guys swarmed around admiring the 12" tablet in center console haha. I also had other customers there comment on such a beautiful and good looking truck. They are very good looking indeed, FCA RAM have out done themselves with this Gen

sgk

Reaction score
Off topic, but what a variety of music you listen to from Disney radio to Megadeth and I thought i was diverse in my music selection.

Laz

Reaction score
Lmao....SGK, it's only when I'm alone that I am able to play my favorite stations such as the one pictured here. Two different days hence the temperature on the gauge cluster 99* vs the temperature on the 12" center console 120*

borant

Reaction score
Last try to this thread - applying 2 more coats with Opticoat Pro Plus somehow mitigates missing premium look of factory "fake" tri-coat.
Just to recap, I tried to explain concern few times before but folks here are thinking from color perspective and missing what tri-coat is, it is literaly 3-coat with medium translucent layer creating visual effects like chameleon or flares from any distance. When someone is talking about "deep" color standing within 2 steps from truck then it is not 3-coat effect but regular 2-coat/clearcoat/pearlcoat effect. The difference is $400 for 3-coat paint job that we paid but did not get any benefit getting working truck look from further than 2-3 steps away distance.
My opinion is still the same, current process at FCA either doing 2-coat for Ivory trucks or it is 3-coat with the same paint used for base and medium layer. We just got ripped for the difference in the cost but naives are happy here.
Now, with Opticoat Pro+ 2 layers it is now effectively 5-coat paint without "working truck" shame anymore: IMG_0386.jpg

Last edited:

Kidder

Reaction score
I picked this up last night:

Ram1.jpg

Ram3.jpg

Ram2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread