5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivory/ Indigo, interior owners beware!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not true. I have cleaned off light blue jean transfer many times on my seats. This assumes the topcoat layer from the leather producer is still in-tact, you use proper products on a regular basis, and hopefully you've been adding your own protection as well. I use Colourlock mild leather cleaner - wipes the jean dye right off. Then I follow up with their Leather Shield product that reduces friction and acts as a protective barrier (you can actually feel this getting in/out of the truck) - goes on wet, but dries quickly and invisibly leaving no residue.
+1 to above.
I warned the Mrs. that she can't wear jeans in the truck and I also have done two cleaning/protectorant applications, hoping that the leather conditioner/polish will ward off any transfers that come "by mistake".

It was her choice of interior color so she understands. The issue more so is kids and gkids... Always something, but I didn't want a black interior so I get to clean.

Wait a minute, this is her truck yet I am doing all the cleaning and maintenance, as well as paying for it and arranging the service... :unsure:
Oh yeah, it's called marriage. I forget.. :whistle:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The warranty fix will be a new seat cover which will do the same thing in a few months
Did you have your seat cover replaced? Did the new pick up the jean color and shed the leather, as well? Or are you just saying that it will? In other words, I am asking if you are speaking from your own actual experience. The reason I am asking is because I am having the driver's seat on my Limited replaced and am concerned the new one will shed, as well. I did not experience the jean issue, because I just don't wear them, but my seat base did shed after about 6 months of use. I am strongly considering some type of seat covers to prevent this happening again. It is a shame to have to cover up the seats, but I really don't want to have to replace them again.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had this problem with my Mustang. I used Turtlewax Power Out leather cleaner. Been a few years so I’m not sure its still available, but it works. I just will never again get light color interior, no matter how good it looks.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Did you have your seat cover replaced? Did the new pick up the jean color and shed the leather, as well? Or are you just saying that it will? In other words, I am asking if you are speaking from your own actual experience. The reason I am asking is because I am having the driver's seat on my Limited replaced and am concerned the new one will shed, as well. I did not experience the jean issue, because I just don't wear them, but my seat base did shed after about 6 months of use. I am strongly considering some type of seat covers to prevent this happening again. It is a shame to have to cover up the seats, but I really don't want to have to replace them again.
2nd hand story from service tech...not personal experience... I was afraid of the light color leather even though they were beautiful

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It's like a very light carpet in an apt or house, it looks great when clean/new but gets dirty/stained fast, same with vinyl or laminate floors. The black interiors certainly are nice for this issue...

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would be great if someone who has had there seat cover(s) replaced by RAM to tell us how the replacements are holding up. Thank you in advance!

ium33

Reaction score
I had my front seats replaced several months back. The new ones have been holding up so far with the only issue is trying to clean the little pores (not vent holes) in the leather. My original covers felt more like unfinished leather than the type you usually see in vehicles. The new covers actually feel like they've got some covering on them.

Back seat replacement is in process.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I had my front seats replaced several months back. The new ones have been holding up so far with the only issue is trying to clean the little pores (not vent holes) in the leather. My original covers felt more like unfinished leather than the type you usually see in vehicles. The new covers actually feel like they've got some covering on them.

What is your build date? Is it an early build?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Just relooked at my dealer's inventory of Limiteds. 12 in all, only 1 had the indigo interior... Guess they know what sells! All still have the monster rebates, "I could' had a V8", meaning I could have saved another 8K by waiting... duhh. :(

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My build date was also June 2018. Recently replaced the driver seat only. Passenger seat not showing any problems, but that may be because it is not used much. Would you say both of your seats saw about the same amount of use? My driver seat started showing wear on the left seat cushion bolster. Where did you have wear?

ium33

Reaction score
Mine only showed wear on passenger seat at the outer hip bolster and side bolster. It was more of just a few nicks in the leather but I had them replaced before they got worse. Back seat started doing the same.

I really think the leather just came off as a result of weekly cleaning. I'm talking microfiber cloth and warm water. I was too paranoid to try any cleaner on them because of the color

I can't say for certain the new leather will last, but I am certain it has a different feel to it as I mentioned above.

**Edit** My driver seat saw more use. That's why I think it was the weekly cleaning that did it.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer was not any help.I have tried Griots Garage, Leather cleaner which does a reasonable job. But I fear the dye from the jeans is here to stay!

This is from the owner's manual, note the bold and underlined text. I believe what you're showing should be covered under warranty. Especially the part where the leather is coming off. I would show this to the dealer or find another one.

Leather Parts
Mopar Total Clean is specifically recommended for leather upholstery. Your leather upholstery can be best preserved by regular cleaning with a damp soft cloth. Small particles of dirt can act as an abrasive and damage the leather upholstery and should be removed promptly with a damp cloth. Stubborn soils can be removed easily with a soft cloth and Mopar Total Clean. Care should be taken to avoid soaking your leather upholstery with any liquid. Please do not use polishes, oils, cleaning fluids, solvents, detergents, or ammonia-based cleaners to clean your leather upholstery. Application of a leather conditioner is not required to maintain the original condition.

NOTE: If equipped with light colored leather, it tends to show any foreign material, dirt, and fabric dye transfer more so than darker colors. The leather is designed for easy cleaning, and FCA recommends Mopar total care leather cleaner applied on a cloth to clean the leather seats as needed.

CAUTION!
Do not use Alcohol and Alcohol-based and/or Ketone based cleaning products to clean leather seats, as damage to the seat may result.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Is this problem only on the Frost colored seats? No other color?

Blue jeans on ivory is a common problem. All over the BMW forums also.

However, the rest appears to be a manufacturing defect, which would trace back to the supplier. FCA moved RAM production to Michigan from Mexico for the 2019, even if the supplier is the same company, it may be sourcing from a different facility. GST has facilities in Mexico, China, and India and also works with other suppliers.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Is this problem only on the Frost colored seats? No other color?

Blue jeans on ivory is a common problem. All over the BMW forums also.

However, the rest appears to be a manufacturing defect, which would trace back to the supplier. FCA moved RAM production to Michigan from Mexico for the 2019, even if the supplier is the same company, it may be sourcing from a different facility. GST has facilities in Mexico, China, and India and also works with other suppliers.
This is a good question as the light tan longhorn interior is almost just as light from what I have saw and the problem he is having doesn’t look like dye transfer

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Today I was doing my weekly cleaning of my truck. I was cleaning and conditioning my leather when I noticed wear marks and a blueish staining on my drivers seat. I was shocked. It appears my new work jeans which were washed twice prior to use had left a blue stain where i sit. Worse was the wear marks where it appears the finish is coming off the leather. I am not a big guy I am very careful as I was fearful of this ivory seat covering, but I don't think this is acceptable. I went to the dealer and my Service Advisor took pictures and was going to contact FCA for a warranty fix. I will keep you posted.
my 2015 f150 did the same . ford had a small find print in the owner manual saying wear and dye from clothing may show on the camel leather interior. Dealership did get ford to replace it but it came back 3 months later

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called BS on Ram and their leather seats back in 2018. I had a Longhorn Southfork Edition which was a beautiful truck but the light leather was crap...and still is in my option. It showed wear on the bolsters and elsewhere. Hell, I’ve got a twenty year old leather LazyBoy recline that I wear everyone when I sit down and none of the crap I had with my 2018 Ram. My opinion is why pay for luxury that does not last. Ram replaced it once and said never again...I traded it at that point.

It was the last leather Ram I will ever own as the cloth holds up better and doesn’t like like a blue elephants crinkled ear after a couple months of use.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Happened to a nice beige couch I got once. It also happened to my BMW but thankfully I had put leather protectant/conditioner so it came off easily. I loved the ivory/indigo interior and was really close to getting it but sanity prevailed. I am glad I went with the black.

BowDown

Reaction score
I have indigo/frost interior, I ceramic coated the leather the 2nd day I had the truck. I get occasional dye transfer from jeans but it wipes right off and the seats show no wear at all. At this point, I'll just re-ceramic coat them every 6 months

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect this is why >85% of Rams have a black interior.

Users who are viewing this thread