5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with ordering Hemi in Laramie trim

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I mean he only had 85k miles and it's a 2.0l and single turbo 274HP. Not like it was pushing high power.
KIAs are also made by Hyundai, most of his parts inside say that and not KIA. Both have decently good track records for reliability and repairs. Not like Ram is a shining star when it comes to that nor are pretty much any other brand.
I don't see any problems with turbos in KIAs (when I google it) but it still happened to him and cost him half the price of the car just to get back on the road.
Actually Kias are known for garbage motors. Major class action lawsuit. Not the turbo motor. I think it ran from something like 2014 to 2020. They extended the warranty to original owners, but not 2nd owners. 18 month wait for repairs.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Actually Kias are known for garbage motors. Major class action lawsuit. Not the turbo motor. I think it ran from something like 2014 to 2020. They extended the warranty to original owners, but not 2nd owners. 18 month wait for repairs.
Has nothing to do with the Turbo.
My 2014 had it's engine blow and replaced under warranty and received a 100k mile warranty. I sold it quickly after though.
It was in the shop for under 2 weeks and the engine got swapped out with a reman from Kia.

The engine recall was also only up to 2014. My friend's 2015 also had the engine problems seeming the same thing also but his was a 2015 so outside of the recall (he tried).
The turbo broke a year after getting the engine repaired.

John Galt

Reaction score
The Hurricane is supposed appear in the 2024 model year. Probably on the higher trim levels first. They are probably "saving" the Hemis for the lower trims levels until the Hurricane production is fully spun up
….or they’re saving Hemis for the higher trims and putting the turdo 6 in the mass-market 2x4 econotrucks to run up their MPG rates like Ford did….that would make more sense.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
….or they’re saving Hemis for the higher trims and putting the turdo 6 in the mass-market 2x4 econotrucks to run up their MPG rates like Ford did….that would make more sense.
In this case, looks like HSKR;R/T may be correct. The salesman can order Big Horn but not the Laramie. Anyway, I am waiting from two other dealers to respond about the build and see whats up with this. I really want a bench seat, but seems like only Bench seat available on lots is on Tradesman.

John Galt

Reaction score
In this case, looks like HSKR;R/T may be correct. The salesman can order Big Horn but not the Laramie. Anyway, I am waiting from two other dealers to respond about the build and see whats up with this. I really want a bench seat, but seems like only Bench seat available on lots is on Tradesman.
Laramie are on crazy sale though….can you get a Limited with a v8?

N0cturnal

Reaction score
Laramie are on crazy sale though….can you get a Limited with a v8?
I may end up on Limited or even Longhorn Laramie, due to awesome LED headlamps! But I really wanted a bench seat with as many luxuries as I can and Laramie was fitting the bill (at least on paper). If I have to settle for 5 seater, then I can go all the way to TRX (lol. doubt the width will fit my garage but my wife and I talked about it and she actually liked TRX).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Turbos on a gas engine* are bad

My friend just had his turbo blow on his 2015 Kia Optima. I think he spent between 9-11k to get it replaced\fixed.
The car is only work like 15k if even but he owes so had no choice.
I hope it is only an option. Turbos are nothing but trouble. Even though it would be nice not to have etorque, it's a better option than turbo.

That might have been true 40 years ago. I've owned four cars with factory turbo engines. 2012 WRX, 2015 WRX, 2010 Audi A4, and my current 2021 Audi A4. None of those cars had any turbo issues. Of the four of them the only car that gave me any issues was the 2010 Audi, and that was the steering rack that went out at 105k miles. I'm still not completely sold on the Hurricane engine as a replacement for the Hemi, but if I eventually buy a truck with one I'll just make sure and purchase an extended power train warranty. Hopefully our current 2020 Limited will last us a long time since it's a non-etorque Hemi.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
6 passenger is standard on a Big Horn. Console is extra charge option.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang it man, local dealer also confirmed, no 5.7 in the front with a 5.7 in the back.

Wow, it looks like RAM refuses to take my money.

I really messed up not ordering in 21 or 22.

I'm not anti turbo at all, but 1 of the 2 main draws for me to the Ram was the Hemi.
If I don't have that option, not sure I'll make the change.... I already have a turbo 6 truck.

Convo is happening already in another thread, but it really needs to be noted that the concerns of turbocharged gas engines in a half ton have been greatly exaggerated. Concerns aplenty around 2011-2012, but they pretty much went away within 5-6 years. (Checks calendar....). A ground-up design born with boost in mind is not any more likely to be unreliable than any other engine.

That said, while I have no issue with Turbo engine reliability, I draw a distinction between reliability and repairability. Its not that I think turbo engines are any more prone to having issues than their NA brethren, but rather that when they do have issues (as all vehicles will) it's definitely a bigger headache.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very odd that you can't get the 5'7" box with the Hemi. That's NEVER been the case before that I can remember. Makes me wonder if 2024 may be a mid-cycle update year? Could be some pretty significant changes coming very shortly. I would hold off and NOT order now.

2022 was, unknown to us at the time, the best year. Only minimal features were being deleted based upon supply, and the non-hybrid Hemi was still available with all cab and bed configs. If my truck had the 3.92 axle I’d probably look at buying out the lease and keeping this forever. Who knew the ’22 was the end of an era?

As far as the Hurricane engine, it’s got a lot working against it.

- First year of production in the Ram, and first year is always riddled with bugs
- Developed in Europe, and European engineering is trash
- Lots of additional tech to cause issues long term (direct injection, forced induction, next level EGR, doesn’t even have an oil dipstick!)
- Power will likely be quite “peaky”…that’s just how turbo engines are. Plus, anti-lag tuning will keep it from driving smooth like the Hemi

Given the choice between ordering a ’24 or buying a very lightly used ’22…..I’d go ’22. Will save money and get a better truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Or just get a 2500 if it ticks all your boxes.
I wanted HUD which isn't offered on the 2500 or else I likely would of gotten a 2500 Limited with a 6.4 vs a 1500 5.7.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
2022 was, unknown to us at the time, the best year. Only minimal features were being deleted based upon supply, and the non-hybrid Hemi was still available with all cab and bed configs. If my truck had the 3.92 axle I’d probably look at buying out the lease and keeping this forever. Who knew the ’22 was the end of an era?
I would argue that 2021 was the best year. The global parts shortages hadn't really affected anything yet and other than UC5 you could get the latest tech and safety features. All equipment groups were 1 and 2 instead of the lesser A and B.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very odd that you can't get the 5'7" box with the Hemi. That's NEVER been the case before that I can remember. Makes me wonder if 2024 may be a mid-cycle update year? Could be some pretty significant changes coming very shortly. I would hold off and NOT order now.

As far as the Hurricane engine, it’s got a lot working against it.

- First year of production in the Ram, and first year is always riddled with bugs
- Developed in Europe, and European engineering is trash
- Lots of additional tech to cause issues long term (direct injection, forced induction, next level EGR, doesn’t even have an oil dipstick!)
- Power will likely be quite “peaky”…that’s just how turbo engines are. Plus, anti-lag tuning will keep it from driving smooth like the Hemi

Given the choice between ordering a ’24 or buying a very lightly used ’22…..I’d go ’22. Will save money and get a better truck.
Your list of things going against the Hurricane are pretty subjective and not based on any real world knowledge of the platform. Other than being first year production, and potential for extra bugs, the rest are just stretching for reasons to not like it.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
I would argue that 2021 was the best year. The global parts shortages hadn't really affected anything yet and other than UC5 you could get the latest tech and safety features. All equipment groups were 1 and 2 instead of the lesser A and B.

I disagree. Im annoyed that my truck has lesser resale value because I have the “level B equipment group” that was modified from the “level 2” during the covid chip crisis. I don’t know what else I’m missing, but I do know that blind spot monitoring was deleted from my truck from factory.

Id never rely on it, but it makes me feel annoyed when I see other Laramie’s on the road with the amber indicator illuminated on the side mirror.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I disagree. Im annoyed that my truck has lesser resale value because I have the “level B equipment group” that was modified from the “level 2” during the covid chip crisis. I don’t know what else I’m missing, but I do know that blind spot monitoring was deleted from my truck from factory.

Id never rely on it, but it makes me feel annoyed when I see other Laramie’s on the road with the amber indicator illuminated on the side mirror.
You mean that distracting yellow icon I disabled day 1 that lights up anytime I or someone is passing me making me look to the side even when I am going straight and the light does nothing but tell me someone is in the lane that I am not going into anyways?

I mean if that's your cuppa tea by all means...

When you ordered your truck you ahd the option to reject it if anything was deled and get your deposit back as the truck you ordewred did not come in.
Else you know exactly what you were getting and made the choice to keep it\order anyways and that's on you.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Convo is happening already in another thread, but it really needs to be noted that the concerns of turbocharged gas engines in a half ton have been greatly exaggerated. Concerns aplenty around 2011-2012, but they pretty much went away within 5-6 years. (Checks calendar....). A ground-up design born with boost in mind is not any more likely to be unreliable than any other engine.

That said, while I have no issue with Turbo engine reliability, I draw a distinction between reliability and repairability. Its not that I think turbo engines are any more prone to having issues than their NA brethren, but rather that when they do have issues (as all vehicles will) it's definitely a bigger headache.

This. The turbos were probably the one part of my previous F150 that didn't give me any trouble in the last 5 years. Using Ford as an example, think of everything that gets an Ecoboost over the last 10 or so years. Almost everything in their line up has had the option. That's a LOT of turbos. Have their been failures? Sure, but not wide spread. When you make millions and millions of turbos over the years, you're going to have some failures.

All that to say, I think the Hurricane has a lot of potential to be a solid engine. It's got the inherently reliable and hopefully easy to work on benefits of a straight 6 going for it, with a little boost action to get it into today's standards. I'm sure there will be some growing pains to work through, but i'm curious to see how it does.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
You mean that distracting yellow icon I disabled day 1 that lights up anytime I or someone is passing me making me look to the side even when I am going straight and the light does nothing but tell me someone is in the lane that I am not going into anyways?

I mean if that's your cuppa tea by all means...

When you ordered your truck you ahd the option to reject it if anything was deled and get your deposit back as the truck you ordewred did not come in.
Else you know exactly what you were getting and made the choice to keep it\order anyways and that's on you.
Yes lol. I always disable it on the wifes car. Like I said I wouldn’t use it, but IF there comes a day I want to sell, i dont want to go through some dealer BS of “oh it doesn’t have this, this and this” to knock it down more money. Don’t plan on selling though. Different conversation perhaps.

I didnt order the truck. Didn't want to wait. Shopped around multiple dealers with the eco diesels and liked this one the best. Guess I can’t btch, huh? 😆

Users who are viewing this thread