5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with 2019 Ram 1500 Limited "Bed Step"

bradfordk

Reaction score
Is anyone having or had any issues with the OEM bed step that came as standard equipment on your 1500?

When deploying the bed step a couple of weeks ago the entire unit shattered when it hit the open position.

Took it to two dealerships and both told me it's not covered under warranty. (Truck even has a full extended warranty for 7yrs/160k)

Attached is the conversation I had with Ram cares (not really)

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Bed Step.jpg
    Bed Step.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Ram Cares 1of3.png
    Ram Cares 1of3.png
    381.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Ram Cares 2of3.png
    Ram Cares 2of3.png
    356.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Ram Cares 3of3.png
    Ram Cares 3of3.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 42

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I read that there were issues with the early bed steps and Ram was replacing them?

834k3r

Reaction score
I've had my 1500 for about 10 months--no issues so far. In fact, I love the bed step and have recommended it to everyone that's asked about it.

bradfordk

Reaction score
The mechanic at the dealership also said that they have been having lots of issues with the bed step for years. Just doesn't seem right that it's not covered if they are aware there are issues.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe any extended warranty is bumper to bumper. Lots of things are not covered by them. One in particular is any soft surfaces inside the cab. Several 2019 owners have had issues with their leather dash covers bubbling, only to find out it's not covered by the extended warranty. Car salesmen lie. It sucks, but it's a fact. When someone tells you something like that, it's best to ask for it in writing. You won't get it in writing from them of course, but at least then you'll know it was a lie.

Cocheese

Reaction score
I am sorry that it's not going to be covered. I feel for ya. It is up to the dealer to make a warranty decision and I believe that the dealer felt that the break was caused by an impact of sort, thus does not qualify as a defect. I am also sure that the RAM Care had reached out to the dealer and got their side of story and also made a decision to neither warranty the item nor even to "good will" it.

I worked at RAM Care two decades ago and that's how it went. If I got a call from a unhappy customer about questionable warranty issue, I would reach out to the dealer, had discussion about their findings and then made a final decision to cover it under warranty, offer a good will gesture, or flat out deny it. If I decided to warranty a part, I would give the dealer an authorization number and they submitted and got paid. If I good will it, I will get them the case number, they will submit it to customer service and they will get paid. Lastly, I would not cover it and tell the customer.

Deciding factors that drove my decision to offer the "goodwill" were type of vehicle purchased, whether or not the repair/diagnosis was handled by the selling dealer and loyalty. I don't think going into the conversation by telling them you were a Ford customer for 25 years and this is the first RAM and you are already having problems is going to persuade them. It is just the nature of human behavior, all the people who worked at RAM Care handle angry customers ALL DAY LONG. They probably think that you will just go back to Ford after this truck anyway, so why spend the money.... Now, if you are a Dodge/RAM customer for 25 years, I think they would've paid for it for sure.

As far as the broken step goes... Let's put it this way, I am an auto insurance adjuster. If you or a body shop showed me that the broken step along with bent bumper on the left side, I would have cover that step without questions because it looks like it broke from an impact...

Users who are viewing this thread