5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with Paint - scratches

smiles5619

Reaction score
I get that scratches happen. However, I've had the truck 2 months and i never seen the paint damage like this before. I had a 2013 Ram and didn't see this type of damage to the paint from just driving. The pictures bow are in front of the hood. It's obvious it's from road debris. Anyone else have this issue and would folks consider this "normal". IMG_20190309_1341482~2.jpg IMG_20190309_1341571~2.jpg IMG_20190309_1342048~2.jpg

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those look odd to me. Not like normal scratches. Looks like something was hitting the hood in a specific way and “skipping”. Did you drive through an area and kick up a lot of stone? I wonder if that is just left over material that hasn’t really scratched thru and can be buffed out?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like something kicked up and hit the front of the truck like you said. I have not scene any issues but I do have PPF film on the front of my truck.

smiles5619

Reaction score
Those look odd to me. Not like normal scratches. Looks like something was hitting the hood in a specific way and “skipping”. Did you drive through an area and kick up a lot of stone? I wonder if that is just left over material that hasn’t really scratched thru and can be buffed out?

I think it's from driving behind folks on the roads. We've had quite a bit of snow the last while and lots of salt on the road. But i didn't see this with my old Ram is the issue. I may take it in and see what they say.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I do think this paint is very soft and easy to damage. I was checking my fender flares just as mentioned from another thread and noticed some scratches on mine ( I literally had it a month) and I do not live in salt/crappy areas. I live in dirt and some debri's, but not like stoney/pebble gravel for sure and already noticed some nicks and dings.

I also put a few computers in the bed of my truck which completely scratched the paint till there's nothing left with very little force. It's just.... very soft and easy to damage in my opinion.

I want to get mine PPF'd, but I don't want to spend that extra money and feel I shouldn't have to on a 50K truck....

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Mine wasn't too bad for price. I got the Suntek and had the hood(18") overlaps fenders, under headlights, A-pillars, Roof(12") done for $485 Canadian installed and guaranteed for 5 years

Deriggs007

Reaction score
All paints used today are water-based so every manufacturer has the same issues. This is NOT a RAM issue but our Federal Government at work with more regulations.

I'm not exactly sure that's accurate. I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with just as many scratches and dings in 3 years than my truck does in 3 weeks. Surely paint has not changed that much in 3 years. Paint today is supposed to be better and longer lasting than paint from 10-20 years ago.

This paint just cannot take a beating and it worries me for the long haul.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Deriggs007 ...not sure who told you that paint today is supposed to be more durable...the opposite my friend. Paint today is crap based on EPA regulations.

Reactions: MJP

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
How much is that? I just got a ceramic coat protection done but didn't notice this until after the fact...

It depends on what you want protected. You should be able to get the partial hood, front bumper, partial quarter panels to align with the hood protection and mirror caps, all the most critical pieces, wrapped for around $700 - $1000 based on geography. Ceramic protection will not protect against stone chips and damage...PPF is the only viable solution.

k1kelley

Reaction score
My wife has a 2017 Durango RT with granite crystal paint still looks brand new with 35K miles on it. Deep gloss with no noticeable scratches. No ceramic coating just a good wax a few times a year. My 2015 Charger RT scratched if you sneezed on it. Every time they sent me a survey I complained about it. I think it's the thickness and hardness of the clear coat and lack of consistency from the factory paint booth. I haven't noticed any paint issues on my Limited yet, 3500 miles on it.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
I have a ton of paint damage after only 2 months. It's almost like there is no clear coat. I guess I am thankful I got a relatively cheap build. I would be sick to my stomach if this was a $60k truck with such a poor paint job.

Vic

Reaction score
Notice new chips in the frontal area nearly every time I wash it. Two new ones today, one on the leading edge of the hood and one in the beaver cheek.

Dragon_RAM

Reaction score
Man, this is just weak. I’ve got 1000 miles on a 2019 2500 and the rocker panel, fender flares, and bumper have way too many scratches in them, with nearly all busting thru the clear coat and flaking the paint. It has to be the new stuff, cause I just sold my 2008 Tundra with 130k miles and it was bulletproof! I had a few scratches here and there but no paint chipped off...

Sucks!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's weird how uniform those scratches are, like it happened at the same time. My truck is a year old and honestly I only had one little nick in the paint that got past the clear coat, it was from a larger rock. Touched it up, otherwise the front of my truck still looks new, knock on wood.

However, those scratches on the OP's truck looks easy to buff out. I don't feel like the clear coat on my RAM is any thinner than on my previous trucks or vehicles. Maybe just some bad luck and road conditions, but get them buffed out and see if you start getting them again.

Users who are viewing this thread