5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this correct, only 1 cigarette plug for accessories up by the windshield in the center?? Thats nuts!!

EXQQQME

Reaction score
How is everyone running in your power for cameras and/or other accessories??

blkv3tt3

Reaction score

EXQQQME

Reaction score

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I added a 12v power socket under the dash for my dashcam. I used a piggyback fuse connector on the fuse panel and zip tied everything under the dash. Easy peasy.

IMG_1700.jpeg

ljinnc

Reaction score
My Big Horn only has 1 on top of the dash. I have the bench type seat

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My question is, do people still use those lighters.
Up until a little over a year ago, I used the car lighter in my cars. Then I quit smoking.

Curious thing: a lighter plug is shallower than a power port. So if you try using a lighter, it won't make contact and won't work. Yet a 12V accessory will work in a lighter socket. And when cars still came with ashtrays and lighters (at least until 2001 in Wranglers for sure) power ports could be battery feed - though not always - but lighter plugs only worked in run or accessory. That way kids couldn't play with them and burn themselves or the interior.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Up until a little over a year ago, I used the car lighter in my cars. Then I quit smoking.

Curious thing: a lighter plug is shallower than a power port. So if you try using a lighter, it won't make contact and won't work. Yet a 12V accessory will work in a lighter socket. And when cars still came with ashtrays and lighters (at least until 2001 in Wranglers for sure) power ports could be battery feed - though not always - but lighter plugs only worked in run or accessory. That way kids couldn't play with them and burn themselves or the interior.

Ha! Thanks for the flashback!

Gemlin

Reaction score
You can always buys something like this:

EXQQQME

Reaction score
My question is, do people still use those lighters.
Yea, I have a car cam to add but dont want it coming from the top dead center of the dash, lol.
I also still have some other charging things that plug into them

EXQQQME

Reaction score
Hard wired, the way God intended. If you search there are numerous threads on how others have tapped into the dash fuse box.
Well thank you for the constructive feedback sir

EXQQQME

Reaction score
It was fuse 66. If you do a search for accessory circuit, you’ll find a post about it.
I need it "hot" all the time. My dash cam has motion detection. This is so if someone walks up to you car to vandalize it, the camera will have recorded it. It records I think up to 32hrs then loops records over it.

slimchance

Reaction score
i use one of these for the cb and observation cam (5th whl) ...

Attachments

• 20190327_132944_resized.jpg
    20190327_132944_resized.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 81

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I need it "hot" all the time. My dash cam has motion detection. This is so if someone walks up to you car to vandalize it, the camera will have recorded it. It records I think up to 32hrs then loops records over it.

There's one that's hot alll the time but I don't recall which one it was. It was in the post about adding the cig plug.

Users who are viewing this thread