5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to get a positive service experience anywhere?

FirstPU

Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 Ram Rebel in January, and I'm dreading having to take it into service. I prefer to just take my cars to the dealership when I have issues since afterall, who SHOULD know their cars better than themselves? I just did a YELP search on the 6 dealerships that are within 30 miles of me...and every single one basically has the same type of reviews. Plenty of people talking how great they are, and how understanding during the buying process. Followed up with 1 star reviews that start with, 'I will NEVER, EVER, go to this place again for service', or 'BE WARNED...never take your truck to this dealership for service'.

I worry that this is just a domestic auto manufacturer issue...not just Dodge Ram. I purchased a 2013 GMC Acadia brand new and as soon as you deal with service, it all goes downhill from there.

Are there 'authorized' RAM service places beyond dealerships that won't cause issues with my warranty? Are THEY able to do recalls or is that only something that can be done at a dealership?

I absolutely LOVE my truck. I love the RAM brand, but it sounds like there is no finding good customer service from a service department anywhere. I guess I can expand my search past 30 miles (that had about 6 dealerships), but I'm guessing it won't change much.

Thanks guys!

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
The one thing I miss about driving Fords was the great service I got from one of the local dealers. I didn't buy the car(s) new, let alone from them - and they always waived the loaner fee for me. They also always did everything correctly, and without making a mess of something else in the process... which is more than I can say about some of the CJDR dealers around here.

I've been using a new CJDR dealer for service now, and so far, they seem to do a pretty good job. So far it was just the pedal recall, and oil change though.. so time will tell.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dealers like most businesses are only as good as the owners/managers. Customer service always flows down. If the managers don’t care and allow the employees to cut corners, treat/pay the employees poorly, etc, then the experience will suffer. There are some good ones out there.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I actually just proposed an idea to address this issue the other day

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Poor service is not limited to domestics by any means. I dropped off my wife's Kia to have the oil changed (Soul). It's a pathetically easy change - I can do it in 10 minutes including clean up without lifting the car - but I was busy and had a local dealer coupon. Got it done and brought it home. Couple of days later I notice some oil spots on the garage floor. I look under the car and see some fresh looking oil. I figured maybe they didn't tighten down the plug or filter enough, so I popped the hood to get some light. What did I see? The entire engine bay covered in oil that had been spraying everywhere because they never replaced the dipstick. Luckily the dipstick didn't get lost - it was sitting right on the engine cover. But it left me a hell of a mess and I had to add some oil besides.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ex and I had a Toyota Avalon and the selling dealer had the attitude that if we had any kind of problem it had to be us because "Toyota's are so reliable"). Even though I worked for GM at one time every Chevrolet dealer I ever did business with was extremely arrogant and dismissive. Years ago I had one Chevrolet service manager tell me to go but something else. I did, and that dealer is long since gone.

My current CDJR dealer has treated me like a special customer. I've purchased four vehicles from them and I have never had an unsatisfactory incident with the service department.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels, now at 015089 miles

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hard to say what to do. Yelp reviews and other such things can always be faked. Perhaps hunt for oil change coupons/service specials and just try a couple dealers near to you, even if it means 2500 mile oil changes. Stick with dino oil if you get it done that often.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
With these beauties costing up to/at the same as BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, we the customers should demand the same SERVICE!!!

While I disliked how much BMW charged for a oil change etc...the service was excellent. I received the same excellent service from BMW in Pa as I have in Fl. The difference the customer expectation and acceptance levels.

Cost being in the same ballpark for the vehicles, should not the quality of the service be the same??? I am at 3 out of 4 positive visits with local dealership. This last time around felt a bit ugly compared to first 3 visits. I try to see a situation from all 3 sides before I react; so I took the last visit with few grains of salt. Will not go quietly on next visit if it is like this last one.

I definitely believe it filters down from the top.

Until it hits/hurts their pocketbooks...it seems acceptable to receive bad reviews for Service--controllable issues.

I wonder what kind of pressure FCA places on dealerships and the complaints about SERVICE???? <----this is starting at the top....then ya go to the top of the local dealership.

cra1g

Reaction score
The only way I've found is to keep trying dealers until you get a good one. I've been through several--#5 is a keeper. I don't know how much it matters, but I always fill out the emailed surveys (for good dealers and bad ones), just in case anyone's paying attention.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My closest dealer (7 miles) has this oil change special:
For $40 I will just try them out, not caring about oil change intervals. I didnt buy from them but would go there for service, at least this time.

Attachments

• 1559525491071.jpeg
    1559525491071.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 9

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I dont think people with decent dealership experience post many reviews.
Agree. You have to be kinda peed off to go to the trouble of writing one, most don’t take the time. I am also guilty of that. I expect a reasonable job for a reasonable price and if delivered, “well thats the job”. Nobody tells me I did well when I just did was was expected of me...

alparmer

Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 Ram Rebel in January, and I'm dreading having to take it into service. I prefer to just take my cars to the dealership when I have issues since afterall, who SHOULD know their cars better than themselves? I just did a YELP search on the 6 dealerships that are within 30 miles of me...and every single one basically has the same type of reviews. Plenty of people talking how great they are, and how understanding during the buying process. Followed up with 1 star reviews that start with, 'I will NEVER, EVER, go to this place again for service', or 'BE WARNED...never take your truck to this dealership for service'.

I worry that this is just a domestic auto manufacturer issue...not just Dodge Ram. I purchased a 2013 GMC Acadia brand new and as soon as you deal with service, it all goes downhill from there.

Are there 'authorized' RAM service places beyond dealerships that won't cause issues with my warranty? Are THEY able to do recalls or is that only something that can be done at a dealership?

I absolutely LOVE my truck. I love the RAM brand, but it sounds like there is no finding good customer service from a service department anywhere. I guess I can expand my search past 30 miles (that had about 6 dealerships), but I'm guessing it won't change much.

Thanks guys!
I feel your pain. I dread going to the dealer because you literally have to make a scene to get them to fix things under warranty. It’s also not only Mopar. I had all kinds of issues with a Mustang and at the end I got rid of it. My wife drives a Lexus, much cheaper than my truck, and they treat you like royalty. Great snacks while you wait. Good listeners, super nice, and only takes once to get things fixed. Heck they even give you gas vouchers and a loaner of tour liking. Wish Ram would get on board with customer is always right.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I have noticed over the years is who the dealerships hire.
Lots of younger persons who just went to school and passed their ASE tests.
I rarely see any "older" guys/gals who understand how vehicles 'work' .. I've even had to show a few of the newbies how to fix something or where to go to look .. I mean, I get it EVERYONE has to start somewhere - but don't tell me, "with my experience, I've never seen this or that." ..
Now there are a LOT of AWESOME new hires! But most of them LOVE vehicles or had parents who loved vehicles and had their kids out working with me ..

NOTES:
"older" is not an AGE thing - just someone who has been around a few years.
'work' means Experience to me. pass your test to get hired, but learn how this does that or why it does this because of that.
:)

[EDIT : when asking the dealer to reprogram my Cobra years ago after installing new rear 3.73 gears, the service manager told me that his GOLD #1 Mechanic in the ENTIRE area wanted to know if I installed the correct colored ratio gear adapter afterwards to make up for the ratio change to fake the speedometer to read correctly. My response? Really? Ask your GOLDEN BOY to look under the vehicle one more time and he would see that it is electronic, not mechanical. He responded, "Oh, it's a Cobra! That makes a difference" and I replied, "No! Every 1999 Mustang, Cobra or GT, had an electronic adapter if it was a stick-shift." .. Needless to say, this was the ONLY Rated Mustang Cobra dealership in the entire area at that time. I told the service manager since they couldn't update the system, let me walk over to the aftermarket parts counter and order the SCT ODB Programmer and I'll fix it myself. :) They closed less than 2 years later due to too many complaints.]

Last edited:

alparmer

Reaction score
What I have noticed over the years is who the dealerships hire.
Lots of younger persons who just went to school and passed their ASE tests.
I rarely see any "older" guys/gals who understand how vehicles 'work' .. I've even had to show a few of the newbies how to fix something or where to go to look .. I mean, I get it EVERYONE has to start somewhere - but don't tell me, "with my experience, I've never seen this or that." ..
Now there are a LOT of AWESOME new hires! But most of them LOVE vehicles or had parents who loved vehicles and had their kids out working with me ..

NOTES:
"older" is not an AGE thing - just someone who has been around a few years.
'work' means Experience to me. pass your test to get hired, but learn how this does that or why it does this because of that.
:)

[EDIT : when asking the dealer to reprogram my Cobra years ago after installing new rear 3.73 gears, the service manager told me that his GOLD #1 Mechanic in the ENTIRE area wanted to know if I installed the correct colored ratio gear adapter afterwards to make up for the ratio change to fake the speedometer to read correctly. My response? Really? Ask your GOLDEN BOY to look under the vehicle one more time and he would see that it is electronic, not mechanical. He responded, "Oh, it's a Cobra! That makes a difference" and I replied, "No! Every 1999 Mustang, Cobra or GT, had an electronic adapter if it was a stick-shift." .. Needless to say, this was the ONLY Rated Mustang Cobra dealership in the entire area at that time. I told the service manager since they couldn't update the system, let me walk over to the aftermarket parts counter and order the SCT ODB Programmer and I'll fix it myself. :) They closed less than 2 years later due to too many complaints.]
Agree with you. It’s everywhere including restaurants and any type of service. I hate blaming millennials because it’s not their fault growing up like they did...but it’s millenials. It seems they don’t have Pride on doing things right the first time. The other problem is that is hard to get good workers. You have the ones that haven’t left the basement and the ones that have a fluffy degree thinking they can run the show without any experience.

M

MJB4450

You reminded me of when I brought my 2012 Challenger R/T with the Tremec 6-speed manual in for a vibration. I was pretty sure it was the driveshaft and explained under what circumstances it vibrated. Late in the day I called for status because God forbid they would actually call YOU. They told me it was ready for pick up, the vibration was just the MDS kicking in. I had to tell them that all manual Challengers (and auto trans with the 6.1) do not have MDS. They argued and we went at it for a while until I suggested a monetary bet. They then said they would check. They actually had to call corporate for them to clue the service department in on the fact that manual trans Challengers do not have MDS (which was specifically why I bought it). I spoke with them again and they tried to cover their ignorance. They told me I got "one of the few manual trans cars that they did not put MDS in". Right, so the factory just threw MDS in what ever car they felt like and not in other's, OK. So they said they'd check the vibration again. At the end of the day I go to pick up the car which they said was all ready and wouldn't you know it. The W/O stated as the fix "MDS working as designed". I used to take that workorder to the car shows I went to and pass it around for laughs. Of course the vibration was never fixed. Both sales and service experiences have kept me form even going to look at a new vehicle several times now. I just don't want the hassle anymore and obviously corporate does not give a hoot.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Agree with you. It’s everywhere including restaurants and any type of service. I hate blaming millennials because it’s not their fault growing up like they did...but it’s millenials. It seems they don’t have Pride on doing things right the first time. The other problem is that is hard to get good workers. You have the ones that haven’t left the basement and the ones that have a fluffy degree thinking they can run the show without any experience.
I don’t know about the modern parts changers I mean mechanics but where I’m working (in a factory that makes cardboard tubes) there’s “kids” 40 years younger than I who do a bang up job on the shift, attention to detail, work ethic, attendance is good and these are all production line type positions. There’s not a slacker in the group (6) on my line. So I don’t think the world is coming to an end quite yet...

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my '09 1500 in GA (new, in '09).

I moved to VA in 2013 and started taking it for service to Safford Dodge, in Warrenton, VA. I have never bought a vehicle from them. My '09 had a Lifetime MaxCare warranty.

In the 6 years I have been going there (only for service - and, really, only for warranty work, at that), they have been awesome. They replaced a number of things on that truck under warranty that I thought for sure there was no way it would be covered.

Just last week, I had it in for a major metal-to-metal grinding noise in the front end. They reported that the front wheel bearings were shot and replaced them on both sides under warranty. On an '09, with 193K miles! Then I traded it yesterday for a '19. It was driving like new when I traded it.

Anyway, there ARE some good service departments out there.

alparmer

Reaction score
You reminded me of when I brought my 2012 Challenger R/T with the Tremec 6-speed manual in for a vibration. I was pretty sure it was the driveshaft and explained under what circumstances it vibrated. Late in the day I called for status because God forbid they would actually call YOU. They told me it was ready for pick up, the vibration was just the MDS kicking in. I had to tell them that all manual Challengers (and auto trans with the 6.1) do not have MDS. They argued and we went at it for a while until I suggested a monetary bet. They then said they would check. They actually had to call corporate for them to clue the service department in on the fact that manual trans Challengers do not have MDS (which was specifically why I bought it). I spoke with them again and they tried to cover their ignorance. They told me I got "one of the few manual trans cars that they did not put MDS in". Right, so the factory just threw MDS in what ever car they felt like and not in other's, OK. So they said they'd check the vibration again. At the end of the day I go to pick up the car which they said was all ready and wouldn't you know it. The W/O stated as the fix "MDS working as designed". I used to take that workorder to the car shows I went to and pass it around for laughs. Of course the vibration was never fixed. Both sales and service experiences have kept me form even going to look at a new vehicle several times now. I just don't want the hassle anymore and obviously corporate does not give a hoot.
Very similar situation with a Mustang.
I had a similar experience with a Mustang. About 2k miles on it the rear end started making a hum. I knew it was the differential. Took it in and they put new gears and it was fixed. However, now I had a vibration at 60mph. In the rear. I’m very intune with my cars and new something wasn’t right. My guess was the driveshaft was out of balance. I took it in three different times. First they said they couldn’t find anything and denied the vibration. Second time I took the manager and two mechanics and only one said he felt something. He said it was the tires. So they swap tires with a brand new car and told me it went away. Nope, still there. I finally gave up on that dealer in Orlando and took it to a dealer out in the country. They called me the same day saying that it was fixed. The drive shaft was not installed properly. I’ve dealt with similar problems before and always mark the driveshaft ends so I can install it in the same position as it came out.

alparmer

Reaction score
I don’t know about the modern parts changers I mean mechanics but where I’m working (in a factory that makes cardboard tubes) there’s “kids” 40 years younger than I who do a bang up job on the shift, attention to detail, work ethic, attendance is good and these are all production line type positions. There’s not a slacker in the group (6) on my line. So I don’t think the world is coming to an end quite yet...
I call them swappers. One thing I’ve noticed is that typically country folk take more pride in their work than city folk.

Users who are viewing this thread