5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the rear diff locker needed for mud?

Cuppedup

Reaction score
During hunting season after the rains, the dirt/clay roads turn into an absolute mess and people drive off the levees and dikes all the time resulting in a $500 cash tow from a tractor. Some roads better than others, but I want to be well prepared if I start down a passable road and run into a stretch of slick and can’t turn around...

So Ive been trying to find the rear diff locker which is making the price shoot above $40K, whereas I can find the standard 4x4’s in the big horn CC long bed with sport package for low to mid $30K.

How much difference will the rear diff locker make for mud?

How about the anti slip? I’ve found some more friendly priced 4x4 with the anti-spin/limited slip differential. From what I understand this only comes on once it senses your truck is slipping? At that point (in mud) couldn’t it be too late?

And sorry for the dumb question, but what about the 4LO option. Can someone explain this to me and why I would need the locker or LSD if I have 4LO? Thanks

Last edited:

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
A locker, locks the rear axles together. When the diff is locked, both axles will get power, at all times. This is ideal for off road, but undesirable for on road.

An LSD works like an open diff, but engages both axles, when one wheel starts to slip. You're correct, that it doesn't engage until a wheel starts to slip. However, modern LSD's are pretty dang quick. LSD's are ideal for on road and off road.

4 HI and 4 LO, has nothing to do with your diffs. It determines your gear ratio, when in 4x4. 4LO gives you a lower gear ratio, making crawling, climbing, and pulling easier.

I wouldn't let the locker be a deal breaker. An LSD and a good set of tires, should be more than capable off road.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned above. Better tires will be a great investment.

Me personally, I would get the eLocker, but also as mentioned I would not let it be a deal breaker.

I would definitely atleast get the anti spin though. And yes, you are correct...the anti spin has to slip to engage.

Another thing to know is BLDS. Brake Lock Differential System. All RAM trucks have it. You just need to stay in the gas (easy does it) and the traction control system will act like a locker...slowing spinning wheels and transferring the power to the non spinning.

My opinion, if you can get the eLocker, that is the best option. Atleast get the anti spin and pass on the truck without either. Then get a good swt of tires and watch your truck tackle anything you throw at it.

STR

Reaction score
Yes, it’ll make a difference. With limited slip, the power goes to the wheel that’s spinning, which is not very helpful if You’re stuck in snow or mud. The differential locker locks both rear wheels regardless of wheel spin.

That’s not say the limited slip is not useful, which it is... If you’re traveling down a snowy or muddy road it provided better traction while minimizing the risk of swinging your rear end sideways.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Park your truck and use a four wheeler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it’ll make a difference. With limited slip, the power goes to the wheel that’s spinning, which is not very helpful if You’re stuck in snow or mud. The differential locker locks both rear wheels regardless of wheel spin.

That’s not say the limited slip is not useful, which it is... If you’re traveling down a snowy or muddy road it provided better traction while minimizing the risk of swinging your rear end sideways.
You're just talking about an open differential, which is what we have up front (and rear if you're not locked or anti-spin engaged).

The anti slip acts as an auto locker once the free wheel spins for a bit. Once that wheel spins it provides power to the non-spinning wheel. Not a huge deal in mud/snow where spinning the tires for a sec won't hurt, but definitely more of a deal with rock crawling where a locking diff would be better suited so you don't fall off a rock from slip.

OP, I'd advise what the others say and at least get one or the other for your situation. Pass on the ones that don't have an option.

KcRay

Reaction score
A locking rear end is not great traction for ice or slippery snotty mud that you are on top of. It can make your rear end go sideways if you are spinning alot. A locker is great for deep mud, dirt, rocks, snow and climbing. LSD or as Ram calls it " anti spin, 4x4 and good AT tires will do great for sure.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
A locking rear end is not great traction for ice or slippery snotty mud that you are on top of. It can make your rear end go sideways if you are spinning alot. A locker is great for deep mud, dirt, rocks, snow and climbing. LSD or as Ram calls it " anti spin, 4x4 and good AT tires will do great for sure.

Thank you. I think I’ll opt for 4x4 with LSD. Do wildpeaks work well off-road/mud? 90% of my driving is on the road so mud tires are a little overkill just for an occasional muddy situation

KcRay

Reaction score
I just have the all season sport tires for now, but when they wear out, the Wildpeaks or coopers are on my list as a mild AT.

STR

Reaction score
OK... so I have a Rebel with the electronic locking differential, if I’m just in 4X4 high without the locker engaged, what function is the rear differential performing... limited slip? I recently saw a YouTube vid of a Rebel with its rear tire on a rock, and the free tire was just spinning. The tire with traction on the rock was not moving. Shouldn’t power be transferred to the tire with traction? The person ultimately engaged the locker and was able to continue...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OK... so I have a Rebel with the electronic locking differential, if I’m just in 4X4 high without the locker engaged, what function is the rear differential performing... limited slip? I recently saw a YouTube vid of a Rebel with its rear tire on a rock, and the free tire was just spinning. The tire with traction on the rock was not moving. Shouldn’t power be transferred to the tire with traction? The person ultimately engaged the locker and was able to continue...

With the elocker, when it's not engaged it's an open diff and if you start spinning you go nowhere. Same with limited slip; when not engaged, it's an open diff.

The difference between the two lockers, is how they are activated; limited slip is automatic and mechanical, when you spin fast and long enough to trigger it, it locks up. It unlocks automatically too. With Rebel and elocker, you press a switch to lock and unlock it. When both of them are not locked up, they are open diffs.

Reactions: STR

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
With the elocker, when it's not engaged it's an open diff and if you start spinning you go nowhere. Same with limited slip; when not engaged, it's an open diff.

The difference between the two lockers, is how they are activated; limited slip is automatic and mechanical, when you spin fast and long enough to trigger it, it locks up. It unlocks automatically too. With Rebel and elocker, you press a switch to lock and unlock it. When both of them are not locked up, they are open diffs.
^^^ Nailed it ^^^

For the those interested, here’s how the limited slip works (from the service manual):

OPERATION

The purpose of the Limited Slip Differential is to provide a torque bias within the differential allowing torque to be transmitted to the high traction tire in a variety of traction situations.

The Limited Slip Differential is a torque sensing device and is not dependent on vehicle speed. Using the vehicle traction control system in combination with the Limited Slip Differential enhances the vehicles traction capability.

The Limited Slip Differential is a non-preload design, this provides optimal fuel efficiency while still maintaining improved traction performance. The Limited Slip Differential operates as a torque sensing device because when torque is applied to the differential gear set the reaction forces of the bevel gears apply an axial force into the clutch system providing the torque bias.

When the input torque is very low the reaction forces will decrease allowing the differential to act similar to an open differential (zero preload). Under normal operation the differential gears can be turned by hand.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Watch some YT vids about the two systems. There aren’t as many Dodge or RAM ones as there are Chebbies or Ford’s but they are out there. You might feel better about your exact question having done so.

Forum: ram1500diesel.com thread dated 8-30-2014 but still good info:
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle? and 4 wheel drive

and finally, from this forum itself on July 23, 2018: thread title is
Anti-Spin Diff vs. E-Locker

Oh and remember (Danger Jeff Robinson, old man storytime coming...) there was a time in automotive history when people actually used trucks in fields, on logging roads, in deep snow etc and (gasp) didn’t have 4x4!
They had to have “mud and snow tires” on the back and “know how to drive in those poor road conditions”.
(Probably offended some snowflake with that but oh well.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: STR

KcRay

Reaction score
So if you do a power brake burn out with a Rebel, your going to get the "one wheel peel"? My 16 Tacoma would spin both tires, with out locking the diff.

Last edited:

STR

Reaction score
So if you do s power brake burn out with a Rebel, your going to get the "one wheel peel"? My 16 Tacoma would spin both tires, with out locking the diff.

I just backed up in the wet grass and nailed it without the elocker engaged and it ripped up the grass under both tires. So they were both spinning...

Boston

Reaction score
Tires are the greatest traction aid or impede. You hit mud with street tires and you are Sol.

Makes sure you have factory tow hooks as you can’t seem to order them at the dealer.

You know, for pulling out the other guy.

STR

Reaction score
... now tomorrow I’ll be out planting grass... Ha. All of this talk about open diff, LSD, anti-spin, etc. Whatever it has back there, both tires still spun, and I have the option of an E-lock.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
I just backed up in the wet grass and nailed it without the elocker engaged and it ripped up the grass under both tires. So they were both spinning...
fbd.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... now tomorrow I’ll be out planting grass... Ha. All of this talk about open diff, LSD, anti-spin, etc. Whatever it has back there, both tires still spun, and I have the option of an E-lock.
Both tires will spin until 1 fully loses traction. Then you'll get the 1 wheel spin. On pavement it's much easier because one tire is going to break first. On wet grass both tires will break loose quickly, but if you kept going you'd dig a hole on one side.

Users who are viewing this thread