5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Laramie seats real leather?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some parts of the seat is covered with leather, some parts are not. Leather-trimmed means only a percentage of the seat is covered with leather. A combination of materials which includes leather. Not sure if there is a standard which defines the percentage of the seat needs to be leather in order to not have to include the term "leather-trimmed", and just call them leather. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is such a standard.

For the question about the seats in the Rebel 12 package, those are luxury leather-trimmed, so I would assume they are also not fully leather covered. But I suspect the leather that is used is of a higher quality than what's in the Laramie because of the addition of the word luxury.

AALiVEE

Reaction score
I say this again. Only the Limited have real leather seats. That was my dealbreaker on the Laramie.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I say this again. Only the Limited have real leather seats. That was my dealbreaker on the Laramie.
And you'd be wrong again...the Limited and Laramie Longhorn both have full leather leather seats. Not sure why you're excluding the Laramie Longhorn in your declaration.

If leather was the only reason you selected a much more expensive model, why didn't you pay approx. $2000 to have the seats recovered in leater, such as going with Katzkin?

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didnt realize that. Does clear coat last well on leather that's constantly abraded? And would it hurt to use conditioner?

Can't imagine anything would hurt other than something chemically abrasive enough to damage clear coatings.

Ive never seen "Genuine Leather" do this. . What maintenance can be done to prevent this?

View attachment 55717

Looks like factory defect. Should be under warranty. However dealerships/ @RamCares can be notorious at not covering this.

And Laramie Longhorn.

50Front

Reaction score
Just looks like you are sliding off the seats and ruining the edge. Use the A pillar grab handle to lift yourself out of the seat. It also helps a lot to have the fixed running boards, the power ones open too low. I have 20k on my Laramie, only wiped them down once with a damp cloth and have zero damage or wear. The "leather" is bonded and clear coated, so no cleaner or conditioners should be used and a good chance they may cause damage. If you put a drop of water on the leather it just beads meaning the leather is sealed.
My 15 GMC Sierra AT also had the same bonded fake leather that all manufacturers use except on some high end models.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
Just looks like you are sliding off the seats and ruining the edge. Use the A pillar grab handle to lift yourself out of the seat. It also helps a lot to have the fixed running boards, the power ones open too low. I have 20k on my Laramie, only wiped them down once with a damp cloth and have zero damage or wear. The "leather" is bonded and clear coated, so no cleaner or conditioners should be used and a good chance they may cause damage. If you put a drop of water on the leather it just beads meaning the leather is sealed.
My 15 GMC Sierra AT also had the same bonded fake leather that all manufacturers use except on some high end models.
The damage was there when i bought the pickup. no need to explain the process. one would think the damage would be more than near the edge though if someone was not entering and exiting the pickup properly

Last edited:

50Front

Reaction score
You say in your first post that the damage has occurred over the last couple of months of your ownership. Now you are saying you bought it this way. What does mansplain mean? Is that a South Dakota thing?

upwindstorm

Reaction score
You say in your first post that the damage has occurred over the last couple of months of your ownership. Now you are saying you bought it this way. What does mansplain mean? Is that a South Dakota thing?

I did.. i didn't feel the need to include that in the first post. I fail to understand what a difference it makes. the pickup isn't even out of the warranty window yet. Mansplaining is explaining something in a oversimplified manner.

Last edited:

AALiVEE

Reaction score
And you'd be wrong again...the Limited and Laramie Longhorn both have full leather leather seats. Not sure why you're excluding the Laramie Longhorn in your declaration.

If leather was the only reason you selected a much more expensive model, why didn't you pay approx. $2000 to have the seats recovered in leater, such as going with Katzkin?

OK I suppose I might be wrong then, I do not know the Laramie Longhorn Edition, this one is not sold i Europe as far as I know, the usual Laramie, like Night edition, does not have real leather interior.

The leather along side the nice packages added by the importer made up my mind about a limited, the headlights are really good, as I live near the Polar-circle I need good lightning as we live in a black-out 4 months/year, and if I can skip a $4000 aftermarket led-ramp that is nice and I can just let go go the feeling that it all might be stolen anytime I leave the truck in town over night etc.

And I am sorry to say that here in Europe we pay $100k for the Limited, fully loaded, but still, someone is making some serious money along the way over here, I still think the truck is worth it tho.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
OK I suppose I might be wrong then, I do not know the Laramie Longhorn Edition, this one is not sold i Europe as far as I know, the usual Laramie, like Night edition, does not have real leather interior.
Well by all means, let me introduce you...

20200506_234645.jpg 20200515_174408.jpg 20200515_175943.jpg 20200515_173157.jpg 20200515_172553.jpg 20200515_173828.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

The leather along side the nice packages added by the importer made up my mind about a limited, the headlights are really good, as I live near the Polar-circle I need good lightning as we live in a black-out 4 months/year, and if I can skip a $4000 aftermarket led-ramp that is nice and I can just let go go the feeling that it all might be stolen anytime I leave the truck in town over night etc.

And I am sorry to say that here in Europe we pay $100k for the Limited, fully loaded, but still, someone is making some serious money along the way over here, I still think the truck is worth it tho.
Sorry, assumed you are in North America. I can't imagine there are very many full-size pickups in Europe. I certainly didn't see very many when I was over there last summer, although I did see a 4th gen Ram in Germany.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you again about your statement. To say the Laramie does not have real leather is inaccurate. My Laramie interior does in fact have real leather surfaces. It really doesn't compare to the Limited or Longhorn, but it's a lot nicer than the cloth interior in the Big Horn or the fabric/vinyl in the Rebel IMHO. To each their own.

$100k is a lot to pay for a truck. Hope you enjoy your limited.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It helps if you put your location in your details here on the forum or your signature. Everyone should do this. (y)

TLOC

Reaction score
To be honest I'm discouraged and so disappointed in getting this truck!!!:mad: Or maybe I need to quit reading this forum. It's one problem after the other, it would be different if FCA acknowledges defects/ fixes them and fixes them on future models but apparently this is not the case. I was looking for accessories for the truck a while back and found a console cover by Auto Console Covers and bought it. Says it's neoprene, after hearing the seat issue I bought their bottom seats covers. Ordered the WheelSkin for the steering wheel leather issue. I can't fix the water leak problem, Uconnect crap, AC garbage, amplifier junk, clunk in the front, etc etc etc, and I like the truck and wanted to buy USA made product, oh well, you live and learn. My buddy at work is a long time Ram owner and showed him the truck, asked if he should get one, he bought a Tundra the other day. I've owned 25+ vehicles, first Mopar last Mopar...

Attachments

• ACC seat.jpg
    ACC seat.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 88

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or maybe I need to quit reading this forum.
Well, there may be some truth to that. I may not have even discovered the few small issues I had without time on this forum. Then again, I also found some answers here. I’ve never owned a perfect vehicle, but there have definitely been those that provided more enjoyment than headache. The Ram is in that class.

TLOC

Reaction score
but there have definitely been those that provided more enjoyment than headache. The Ram is in that class.

Then you bought a rare one apparently!!! I've been a Nissan guy from back in the day of the original Z cars, had several between "77 '78 280Z specially, from then it was Maxiums, Pathfinders and I still have my '95 Hardbody Kingcab with 345,xxx miles, and still put 61 miles a day on (work commuter) incredible!!! My 2010 crew cab 4x4 Frontier had 51k miles on it and 10 yrs old when I traded it for Ram and never saw a dealer!!! Kickin myself in the *** everyday for letting it go...

Stevenc150

Reaction score
....still have my '95 Hardbody Kingcab with 345,xxx miles, and still put 61 miles a day on (work commuter) incredible!!! My 2010 crew cab 4x4 Frontier had 51k miles on it and 10 yrs old when I traded it for Ram and never saw a dealer!!! Kickin myself in the *** everyday for letting it go...
The nissan was is in a WAY lower class/price-point of vehicle. If that's your personal milestone, rock-steady but basic plain-Jane...then u did pick the wrong truck. The downside to Rams luxury & innovation is that fickle witch known as tech; your greatest ally or worst enemy. The upside is the best luxury truck on the road.

I hate that ur having probs, really. That sucks @ss when u sink what we sink into these vehicles, and it doesnt deliver for you. I hope wherever u head next meets expectations. Just stay off their forum as theyll each have their own set of issues & lemons.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then you bought a rare one apparently!!! I've been a Nissan guy from back in the day of the original Z cars, had several between "77 '78 280Z specially, from then it was Maxiums, Pathfinders and I still have my '95 Hardbody Kingcab with 345,xxx miles, and still put 61 miles a day on (work commuter) incredible!!! My 2010 crew cab 4x4 Frontier had 51k miles on it and 10 yrs old when I traded it for Ram and never saw a dealer!!! Kickin myself in the *** everyday for letting it go...
I had a difficult time letting go of my ‘03 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT Quadrasteer. It was a rare 4WD, 4WS, “heavy half”, and it was one of the top-optioned trucks that year. With a Black Bear tune and custom Magnaflow exhaust, that 6.0L V8 was still singing at 160K+ miles.

But in almost every way that I actually use a truck (the only exceptions being payload and turning radius), the Ram is a significant upgrade. You never know what tomorrow will bring, but having purchased a Lifetime MaxCare warranty, I’m hoping that it will hold up over the coming years.

Users who are viewing this thread