5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Laramie seats real leather?

upwindstorm

Reaction score
I have a 19' Laramie 1500 with the "Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats" and at first glance they are gorgeous. As the months go owning this the drivers outside "leather" portion seems to be peeling/flaking slightly at the seam? I am extremely mindful when entering and exiting not to cause excessive wear to the outside of the seat. I came out of a LTZ silverado with unquestionable real leather compared to the rams materiel seems worlds apart. These seats are nice to look at but i question the actual authenticity and quality of material used to produce them.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 19' Laramie 1500 with the "Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats" and at first glance they are gorgeous. As the months go owning this the drivers outside "leather" portion seems to be peeling/flaking slightly at the seam? I am extremely mindful when entering and exiting not to cause excessive wear to the outside of the seat. I came out of a LTZ silverado with unquestionable real leather compared to the rams materiel seems worlds apart. These seats are nice to look at but i question the actual authenticity and quality of material used to produce them.
There are several threads on the forum regarding leather wear. Check them out. Take your truck to the dealership and file a claim. More than likely, the dealership or FCA or both will deny your claim and chalk it up to something you did or "normal wear and tear". Follow the threads, you will see the trend. You will also see that some, including myself have been successful in getting seat covers replaced. Be persistent and if you have a good dealership, that will make the difference. Also, even though many on the forum feel that Ram Care does not help, my experience was positive with them. You should contact them and let them try to help you, as well. Good luck.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
There are several threads on the forum regarding leather wear. Check them out. Take your truck to the dealership and file a claim. More than likely, the dealership or FCA or both will deny your claim and chalk it up to something you did or "normal wear and tear". Follow the threads, you will see the trend. You will also see that some, including myself have been successful in getting seat covers replaced. Be persistent and if you have a good dealership, that will make the difference. Also, even though many on the forum feel that Ram Care does not help, my experience was positive with them. You should contact them and let them try to help you, as well. Good luck.
[/QUOTE
My post is more directed to discuss the authenticity and quality of the leather seats. I do not see much sense in having the seat cover replaced with a same quality seat cover. not at this time at least.

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only have 5500 miles on mine and have noticed some "wear" on the outside edge on the lower portion of the driver's seat where most wear occurs, nothing alarming, but I noticed because of some threads I have read on here. I am very mindful of getting in/out of the vehicle and use my steps religiously, mostly because I'm vertically challenged (5'9"). It has me looking a seat covers. You can get them from mild to wild and prices to match. I was thinking I would get something cheap for just the driver's side. Carid has a good selection.

I added a steering wheel cover for the same reason I'm looking at seat covers. Sad really.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is plenty of discussion on the authenticity of the leather, as well. But, nothing wrong with getting more views on the matter. As far as replacement, pretty sure the quality of the replacement would be the same, so if you want to go another direction, then perhaps an after market supplier.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
15k nothing major. I watch my in and out. Also make a continuous effort weekly to clean & condition the drivers area. Definitely signs of usage compared to rest of seats. For me at this point I can’t complain.

AALiVEE

Reaction score
Only the Limited have real leather interior.
I get in and out of the truck countless of times each day, so i need real leather-seats because that is the only thing that holds up in the long run.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Only the Limited have real leather interior.
I get in and out of the truck countless of times each day, so i need real leather-seats because that is the only thing that holds up in the long run.
Ummm yeah, that's wrong. Longhorn & Limited are full leather / Laramie & sport models are leather-trimmed (on seating surfaces)
[Leather thread]

antwon412

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Rebel 12 seats are real leather?

upwindstorm

Reaction score
I got out of a silverado LTZ when i got this Laramie and the chevys leather seats were without a doubt real leather. The "leather-trimmed" seats in my Laramie are peeling like Vinyl does . :unsure: ..That is my gripe. Dont call them leather if that is not what they are. .

Last edited:

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I got out of a silverado LTZ when i got this Laramie and the chevys leather seats were without a doubt real leather. The "leather-trimmed" seats in my Laramie are peeling like Vinyl does . :unsure: ..That is my gripe. Dont call them leather if that is not what they are. .
Genuine leather requires maintenance. Simply google " why does real leather crack?".

Where Ram missed it imo, is they fell short of what's required to effectively maintain it. Their tag says nothing of using a leather dressing or conditioner

Screenshot_20200511-110127_Chrome.jpg

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Genuine leather requires maintenance. Simply google " why does real leather crack?".

Where Ram missed it imo, is they fell short of what's required to effectively maintain it. Their tag says nothing of using a leather dressing or conditioner

View attachment 55692

Most likely because the leather has a clear coat finish on top of it...so the leather care products are not really going to get to the leather. This is why luke warm water with mild cleaner is all you should ever need.

I put an extra layer on top of mine (Carpro Leather) since I have the lighter colored interior.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Most likely because the leather has a clear coat finish on top of it...so the leather care products are not really going to get to the leather. This is why luke warm water with mild cleaner is all you should ever need.

I put an extra layer on top of mine (Carpro Leather) since I have the lighter colored interior.
Didnt realize that. Does clear coat last well on leather that's constantly abraded? And would it hurt to use conditioner?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had some kind of tag like that for Laramie. Not that fancy of course something like it.

upwindstorm

Reaction score

View attachment 55692

Ive never seen "Genuine Leather" do this. . What maintenance can be done to prevent this?

IMG_20200511_143819641.jpg

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Ive never seen "Genuine Leather" do this. . What maintenance can be done to prevent this?
Yup sure have. Used to ride a motorcycle for several years to commute. High dollar Harley leathers...same thing. In-laws have a buick...same thing. Sitting in a leather recliner atm...same thing. Things they have in common...usually next to a seam, dark color leather,& no maintenance.

Researched the web and just started using this on my longhorn, really like it but its $$$

Screenshot_20200511-174730_Chrome.jpg

upwindstorm

Reaction score
Yup sure have. Used to ride a motorcycle for several years to commute. High dollar Harley leathers...same thing. In-laws have a buick...same thing. Sitting in a leather recliner atm...same thing. Things they have in common...usually next to a seam, dark color leather,& no maintenance.

Researched the web and just started using this on my longhorn, really like it but its $$$

Well you sound pretty sure of yourself so i have no choice but to believe you haha ;)

I purchased this truck used so i dont know what if any maintenance the previous owner did. just find the wear a little unacceptable for the miles that are on it.

I will be searching for some sort of repair kit

Users who are viewing this thread