5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

Alptbird

Reaction score
Toss this out there?

tdb0021

Reaction score
Yeah, i saw that. Will definitely be easier than the process i'm going through, but significantly more expensive.

tdb0021

Reaction score
correct, it can plug into any empty port on the star connector.
from a technical standpoint, I wonder how the bcm figures out which one is left and which one is right, since the BSM sensors are same part numbers for both tail lights?

So i've been thinking about this and i'm starting to wonder if the wiring in the tail light for each bsm sensor differs on each side. I only bought that one taillight and i'm assuming the internal wiring is the same on each side, but i can't be certain. I know the jumper harness is different for left vs. right., so that makes me think the pin out is different for each taillight. I guess i'll install it and see what happens.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i've been thinking about this and i'm starting to wonder if the wiring in the tail light for each bsm sensor differs on each side. I only bought that one taillight and i'm assuming the internal wiring is the same on each side, but i can't be certain. I know the jumper harness is different for left vs. right., so that makes me think the pin out is different for each taillight. I guess i'll install it and see what happens.
Ohh interesting that’s a good point..

tdb0021

Reaction score
Okay so my jumpers finally came in. After installing these on the correct side, blind spot (audio) seems to be working correctly. I think the jumpers were labeled wrong or something because i installed them on the wrong side initially, but after fixing that they work well. The jumpers have plastic clips on them, the larger plastic clips go on the passenger side, the smaller go on the drivers side. It'll make sense when installing. Here's the updated installation sheet with this info:

The good news is that the wiring in the tail lights is the same for both, so that saves me a headache. I will be installing the factory BSM mirrors later this week/next.

Attachments

• Adding Blind Spot Monitoring.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 600

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay so my jumpers finally came in. After installing these on the correct side, blind spot (audio) seems to be working correctly. I think the jumpers were labeled wrong or something because i installed them on the wrong side initially, but after fixing that they work well. The jumpers have plastic clips on them, the larger plastic clips go on the passenger side, the smaller go on the drivers side. It'll make sense when installing. Here's the updated installation sheet with this info:

The good news is that the wiring in the tail lights is the same for both, so that saves me a headache. I will be installing the factory BSM mirrors later this week/next.
Thanks for the report!

saturn298

Reaction score
I was looking at the infotainment harness's. If I am looking at it right did they have the bus wire connected through the reconfigured taillight harness for the signal to light the mirror?

tdb0021

Reaction score
I was looking at the infotainment harness's. If I am looking at it right did they have the bus wire connected through the reconfigured taillight harness for the signal to light the mirror?

Yep, based on the picture it looks like they bypass the harness under the truck that already has the canbus wiring and just run their own, probably easier to do it this way being its a kit.

saturn298

Reaction score
Yep, based on the picture it looks like they bypass the harness under the truck that already has the canbus wiring and just run their own, probably easier to do it this way being its a kit.
I asked if they'd be willing to sell just that piece of the harness and no such luck (n):rolleyes:

Xoexpireu

Reaction score

It says skip to the last two steps before section 2 if I already have tail lights with blind spot but none of the pages say section 2?

tdb0021

Reaction score
It says skip to the last two steps before section 2 if I already have tail lights with blind spot but none of the pages say section 2?

Section 2 Starts with: "2. You will need to buy 2 of the connectors below..."

The last two steps before section 2 are installing the jumper harnesses basically.

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
Having a little trouble finding the connector and pins needed to complete the mod under the driver seat to canbus anyone have links to were u ordered from I really don't want to order in bulk lol. I was going to get from digikey but the pins are back ordered.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Having a little trouble finding the connector and pins needed to complete the mod under the driver seat to canbus anyone have links to were u ordered from I really don't want to order in bulk lol. I was going to get from digikey but the pins are back ordered.
Connectors for star can ihs block- https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=5-2138650-1
Terminals for those connectors- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...amp-connectors/1355717-1/A126703CT-ND/7690341
Male terminals for the interior side of the XY400 connector where the wires enter the cab (so you don’t have to drill the floor pan)- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...amp-connectors/1718760-2/A142442CT-ND/9925481
I didn’t see that anyone posted about completing the install, but keep in mind that the passenger side blind spot sensor has two grounds, whereas the driver side has one ground. This is how the right and left side detection is determined.

EDIT TO ADD: Here’s some info on how the XY400 connector works for inserting the wires- https://www.te.com/commerce/Documen...dfEnglishENG_SS_408-32261_A_A.pdf2336170-1

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
Connectors for star can ihs block- https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=5-2138650-1
Terminals for those connectors- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...amp-connectors/1355717-1/A126703CT-ND/7690341
Male terminals for the interior side of the XY400 connector where the wires enter the cab (so you don’t have to drill the floor pan)- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...amp-connectors/1718760-2/A142442CT-ND/9925481
I didn’t see that anyone posted about completing the install, but keep in mind that the passenger side blind spot sensor has two grounds, whereas the driver side has one ground. This is how the right and left side detection is determined.

EDIT TO ADD: Here’s some info on how the XY400 connector works for inserting the wires- https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Specification+Or+Standard408-32261_AApdfEnglishENG_SS_408-32261_A_A.pdf2336170-1
Thanks I thought I needed these pins? And they say back ordered
‎A124362CT-ND‎
‎963715-1‎
TE Connectivity AMP Connectors
CONN SOCKET 18-20AWG CRIMP TIN

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks I thought I needed these pins? And they say back ordered
‎A124362CT-ND‎
‎963715-1‎
TE Connectivity AMP Connectors
CONN SOCKET 18-20AWG CRIMP TIN
There’s more than one part number that works for these connectors, as long as the terminals are in the same family.

Xoexpireu

Reaction score

EDIT TO ADD: Here’s some info on how the XY400 connector works for inserting the wires- https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Specification+Or+Standard408-32261_AApdfEnglishENG_SS_408-32261_A_A.pdf2336170-1

You threw me off now with adding the pins to the XY400 connector lol. My setup is I purchased the tail lights with blind spot already in them and I replaced both mirrors to include blind spot everything is installed now. I thought and was going to just purchase the two green connectors to plug in up under the driver side kick plate and then just drill the small hole in the floor and attempt to tap the 4 color coded wires and then program. That seems pretty simple enough to do. I thought this was tested and working this way now. Reading your post with the XY400 I'm a little confused now and also the second ground wire would make it 5 wires need to be tapped.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You threw me off now with adding the pins to the XY400 connector lol. My setup is I purchased the tail lights with blind spot already in them and I replaced both mirrors to include blind spot everything is installed now. I thought and was going to just purchase the two green connectors to plug in up under the driver side kick plate and then just drill the small hole in the floor and attempt to tap the 4 color coded wires and then program. That seems pretty simple enough to do. I thought this was tested and working this way now. Reading your post with the XY400 I'm a little confused now and also the second ground wire would make it 5 wires need to be tapped.
The 4 CAN IHS wires for the two green connectors are populated from the tail light connector up to the exterior half of the XY400 connector that allow that chassis wiring to enter the cab. Those four wires are missing on the interior half of that connector, which is why people are drilling a hole in the floor and tying into the four wires that end outside the cab. Rather than drilling a hole in the floor, and splicing into factory wiring, you can just get the correct terminals and insert them into the proper locations on the interior half of the XY400 connector so it’s just like factory.
Disregard the ground wire explanation. I’m assuming all DT rams have all the necessary wiring present at the tail light harness connectors, so there should be 11 wires in the driver side connector, and 12 wires in the passenger side connector. I just noticed a few posts wondering how the right/left side is determined, and it is because of an extra ground wire on the passenger side. I now realize nobody here should have to worry about that on the DTs. When I added these tail lights with blind spot to my 2017, since that feature didn’t exist for 2017, I had to figure out all the wiring from scratch, and that’s one thing that took me a while to figure out why the blind spot system was throwing faults.
EDIT: Also, VehConfig 7 active blind spot present does not get set. Nothing adverse will happen if it is, but it is an irrelevant setting for the Ram blind spot system.

Last edited:

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
The 4 CAN IHS wires for the two green connectors are populated from the tail light connector up to the exterior half of the XY400 connector that allow that chassis wiring to enter the cab. Those four wires are missing on the interior half of that connector, which is why people are drilling a hole in the floor and tying into the four wires that end outside the cab. Rather than drilling a hole in the floor, and splicing into factory wiring, you can just get the correct terminals and insert them into the proper locations on the interior half of the XY400 connector so it’s just like factory.
Disregard the ground wire explanation. I’m assuming all DT rams have all the necessary wiring present at the tail light harness connectors, so there should be 11 wires in the driver side connector, and 12 wires in the passenger side connector. I just noticed a few posts wondering how the right/left side is determined, and it is because of an extra ground wire on the passenger side. I now realize nobody here should have to worry about that on the DTs. When I added these tail lights with blind spot to my 2017, since that feature didn’t exist for 2017, I had to figure out all the wiring from scratch, and that’s one thing that took me a while to figure out why the blind spot system was throwing faults.
EDIT: Also, VehConfig 7 active blind spot present does not get set. Nothing adverse will happen if it is, but it is an irrelevant setting for the Ram blind spot system.
Ty I would like to repin the XY400 just like factory but I'm a little concerned taking it apart. I gotta get under there and take a better look at it I guess.

tdb0021

Reaction score

This is all correct, but you also need the wiring harness that goes from the taillight to the harness under the truck. Known as the "jumper" harness. About 2' long and made for each side of the truck. The part numbers are in the document.

I have done this and can confirm the installation method you are following will work. It's been working flawless for me for a month or so now.

I didn't mess with the XY400 connector... i just cut the wires and drilled a hole. To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread