5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mike,

I'm assuming you ran the two wires needed for each indicator to each of the front door controllers? Did you add the pins to the connectors? If you did, what pins did you use.
I haven't done it yet. Its an ongoing project. I added the wires for the heated mirror so far, because my bighorn tow mirrors weren't even heated :(.

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
2020 Bighorn level 1 here as well would love to see an exact parts list needed and wiring schematic for the additional wiring needed.

turboj

Reaction score
2020 Bighorn level 1 here as well would love to see an exact parts list needed and wiring schematic for the additional wiring needed.
So to chime in here, thanks to everyone who is looking at this thread. I was the original poster and was very pleased when I saw that some work has been done on this effort. On my end, I do have LED's so looking at the pics, I would like to see if it's possible to "just" add the blind spot module by carving out a void in my LED's to accomodate the monitor and then wiring it up. The tricky part is the wiring. If one looks at the back on the non- blind LED lights, one can clearly see the only difference is that the back is sealed but the holes for the screws to mount the BS monitor are there and you would need to then add wires to the male harness because if you look closely, you can see the non- blind LED version has the bottom 5 pins missing. I looked at the male harness on the Monitor itself and it has 7 male pins- see last pic. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this? It's cheaper than buying the whole unit but I am not sure it would be worth the savings to get the wiring to work.

Attachments

• Blind LED.jpg
    Blind LED.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 421
  • blind spot.jpg
    blind spot.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 425
  • jumper.jpg
    jumper.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 423
  • non blind.jpg
    non blind.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 418
  • BS back.jpg
    BS back.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 414

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So to chime in here, thanks to everyone who is looking at this thread. I was the original poster and was very pleased when I saw that some work has been done on this effort. On my end, I do have LED's so looking at the pics, I would like to see if it's possible to "just" add the blind spot module by carving out a void in my LED's to accomodate the monitor and then wiring it up. The tricky part is the wiring. If one looks at the back on the non- blind LED lights, one can clearly see the only difference is that the back is sealed but the holes for the screws to mount the BS monitor are there and you would need to then add wires to the male harness because if you look closely, you can see the non- blind LED version has the bottom 5 pins missing. I looked at the male harness on the Monitor itself and it has 7 male pins- see last pic. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this? It's cheaper than buying the whole unit but I am not sure it would be worth the savings to get the wiring to work.
This was my plan to cut the cavity open in my led non-blind and add the sensors. I think I found the part number for the harness. I’m waiting for it to come in and ill post up.

turboj

Reaction score
That would be a great walkthrough to have because I think there are quite a few of us that would not need the lights -at least initially-on the side mirrors. The audible warning when I have my turn signal on would be enough. And the price to do this upgrade would not be terrible. Just the sensors, harnesses and some wire from the drivers seat to under the dash. The flash to notify the ecu can be done from alfaobd, which I will get when I do my trailer brake controller upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ueadian

Reaction score
I already have the LED lights so it would be nice if we can figure out just how to install the BSM sensor. They go for 80 bucks on ebay for one, so 160 for the pair, vs 480 for the full light assembly so there's a pretty giant gap in price between the two. I asked three local dealers if they would install BSM on my truck, 2 outright said no way can't be done, and one said they had done it on 3 customers trucks but they all had too many issues with it and they ended up uninstalling them and refuse to install anymore. Not sure how much weight to put into that comment. I saw a video once on the F150's production line and they had a BSM calibration station at the end of the production line .. so it might simply be impossible to do it fully proper at home or even at a dealer.

saturn298

Reaction score
I already have the LED lights so it would be nice if we can figure out just how to install the BSM sensor. They go for 80 bucks on ebay for one, so 160 for the pair, vs 480 for the full light assembly so there's a pretty giant gap in price between the two. I asked three local dealers if they would install BSM on my truck, 2 outright said no way can't be done, and one said they had done it on 3 customers trucks but they all had too many issues with it and they ended up uninstalling them and refuse to install anymore. Not sure how much weight to put into that comment. I saw a video once on the F150's production line and they had a BSM calibration station at the end of the production line .. so it might simply be impossible to do it fully proper at home or even at a dealer.

It is possible... read the full thread. There are programs that allow us to do just as much programming or calibrating if not more than the dealer. As for the installation of BSM into a non BSM tail lamp hasn't been completed since the full wiring isn't in the housing. If the funds are there youre better off buying BSM tail lamps.

ueadian

Reaction score
I don't mind buying the full tail light assembly, I'm just very new to wiring things in a car and don't want to make the jump until someone actually confirms there's a way to make it all work. The original poster said he did, but never provided any information on how or a follow up on if it was working well so far. The dealer also had full access to the software and said the resultant BSM was very glitchy so I wish OP would post how it's been since he got it all wired up.

cucubogdy

Reaction score
I made my own wires from some parts I had in my toolbox to finish the missing harness.

Any luck finding some time to share some pictures or a diagram in more detail where the jumpers need to connect too. From the connector pins going to the CANBus hub. Where is the hub located and which pins need to be jumped. Thanks.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any luck finding some time to share some pictures or a diagram in more detail where the jumpers need to connect too. From the connector pins going to the CANBus hub. Where is the hub located and which pins need to be jumped. Thanks.
There are 2 canbus hubs driver side dash - open driver door and pop the dash side panel off. Green one and white one. Green is what you want I believe.

saturn298

Reaction score
Finally got a set of mirror assemblies with factory blind spot. I already have the tail lamps in and functional.

For the wiring is it a specific type of wire you need to use? I also need to get the connectors and pins.

papester

Reaction score
Finally got a set of mirror assemblies with factory blind spot. I already have the tail lamps in and functional.

For the wiring is it a specific type of wire you need to use? I also need to get the connectors and pins.
Just twisted wire.

Did you get the entire mirror assembly or just the new mirror glass with the indicator?

NewToRAM

Reaction score
My truck is a Laramie and has the Blind Spot Monitoring which I made a must-have on my next truck after being used to it on my wife's 2016 Impala LTZ. To me, it's a disappointment as it seems to sense vehicles when they are already beside me. I'd think it's just mine but a friend just bought a 2020 and it works the same. The wife's Impala senses at least one car length from the rear bumper, maybe more. In her car, if I were trustful enough I could actually change lanes according to the Blind Spot detection though I would never trust technology to that extent but the point is I could. Would I spend money to add this to my truck knowing it's limited "vision"? NO. If I could credit back for a mediocre (at best) system would I want it? YES.

barr0208

Reaction score
the blind spot works beside you as well as behind if you turn on your signal prior to changing lanes it will sound an alarm and flash close to 2 cars behind you. if its not doing that go to your dealer and have it re flashed as mine work fine on my 2019 sport.

saturn298

Reaction score
Just twisted wire.

Did you get the entire mirror assembly or just the new mirror glass with the indicator?

Doesn't there have to be a certain resistance or something for the canbus system?
I got entire mirror assemblies.

Users who are viewing this thread