5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

Destroyed21

Reaction score
Hello all - A few general questions on this mod for those that have modified their existing LED lights by adding modules and wiring:
  • When you cut the plastic to open up the area for the module, what did you use as a guide for the opening size? Can the recess be cut all around at the corner without leaving a flange on the bottom? Seems like the heat sink seals on the sidewalls, so a straight through cut would be OK.
  • What gauge wire did you use to add the BSM module connector to the round Molex? Factory setup looks to be 18ga, but the connector pins for the 8-pin gray connector seem too small to accept it.
  • Is there any required rate of twist for the two CANBUS wires both at the tail light and from the x400 connector?
Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
The other day I modified my tail lights to add the BSM module and can answer two of your questions:
  • When cutting the plastic on the tail light you cut the entire area out of the recess. No need to leave a flange.
  • I used 22 gauge wire for the BSM module.

Destroyed21

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll most likely do the same thing. When I find a screw that works I will report back.
Just wanted to report back on what screws I ended up using to mount the BSM module to the tail light. I used a course screw with a diameter of 4.1mm and an overall length (including head) of 22.8mm.

Attachments

• 20240317_101241.jpg
    20240317_101241.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240317_101303.jpg
    20240317_101303.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240317_101331.jpg
    20240317_101331.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240317_101358.jpg
    20240317_101358.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 8

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll most likely do the same thing. When I find a screw that works I will report back.
that should work fine, they are just little black screws designed to go into the plastic, not machine screws or anything... i was lucky enuff that my sensors came with the little black screws.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to report back on what screws I ended up using to mount the BSM module to the tail light. I used a course screw with a diameter of 4.1mm and an overall length (including head) of 22.8mm.
those actually seem a little on the long side to me, and idk if i'd want to put a long one in since the boards are all around the edges of those holes... lemme see if i can fine a pic one the ones that came with my sensors.

Edit: i can't find pics but if you already did it and it didn't appear to be in conflict with anything, you're probly good.

Last edited:

Destroyed21

Reaction score
those actually seem a little on the long side to me, and idk if i'd want to put a long one in since the boards are all around the edges of those holes... lemme see if i can fine a pic one the ones that came with my sensors.

Edit: i can't find pics but if you already did it and it didn't appear to be in conflict with anything, you're probly good.
Yup they worked with no issues.

I tested my tail lights lighting functions and everything works as it should.

edehosse

Reaction score
The other day I modified my tail lights to add the BSM module and can answer two of your questions:
  • When cutting the plastic on the tail light you cut the entire area out of the recess. No need to leave a flange.
  • I used 22 gauge wire for the BSM module.
Thanks for the info! (y)(y)

edehosse

Reaction score
For those interested, found a direct replacement for the sensor attachment screws at Mc Master-Carr:

Also, ended up with two of the 68489300AA taillight jumper harnesses that I don't need (my 2019 already had the correct jumpers). PM if interested.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online